2008 Anna University Chennai Electronics B.E Electronic Instrumentation & Control Engineer EC1017 OPTO ELECTRONIC DEVICES Question paper
EC1017 OPTO ELECTRONIC DEVICES
To learn different types of optical emission, detection, modulation and opto electronic integrated circuits and their applications.
• To know the basics of solid state physics and understand the nature and characteristics of light.
• To understand different methods of luminescence, display devices and laser types and their applications.
• To learn the principle of optical detection mechanism in different detection devices.
• To understand different light modulation techniques and the concepts and applications of optical switching.
• To study the integration process and application of opto electronic integrated circuits in transmitters and receivers.
UNIT I ELEMENTS OF LIGHT AND SOLID STATE PHYSICS 9
Wave nature of light, Polarization, Interference, Diffraction, Light Source, review of Quantum Mechanical concept, Review of Solid State Physics, Review of Semiconductor Physics and Semiconductor Junction Device.
UNIT II DISPLAY DEVICES AND LASERS 9
Introduction, Photo Luminescence, Cathode Luminescence, Electro Luminescence, Injection Luminescence, Injection Luminescence, LED, Plasma Display, Liquid Crystal Displays, Numeric Displays, Laser Emission, Absorption, Radiation, Population Inversion, Optical Feedback, Threshold condition, Laser Modes, Classes of Lasers, Mode Locking, laser applications.
UNIT III OPTICAL DETECTION DEVICES 9
Photo detector, Thermal detector, Photo Devices, Photo Conductors, Photo diodes, Detector Performance.
UNIT IV OPTOELECTRONIC MODULATOR 9
Introduction, Analog and Digital Modulation, Electro-optic modulators, Magneto Optic Devices, Acoustoptic devices, Optical, Switching and Logic Devices.
UNIT V OPTOELECTRONIC INTEGRATED CIRCUITS 9
Introduction, hybrid and Monolithic Integration, Application of Opto Electronic Integrated Circuits, Integrated transmitters and Receivers, Guided wave devices.
TOTAL : 45
1. J. Wilson and J.Haukes, “Opto Electronics – An Introduction”, Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 1995.
1. Bhattacharya “Semiconductor Opto Electronic Devices”, Prentice Hall of India Pvt., Ltd., New Delhi, 1995.
2. Jasprit Singh, “Opto Electronics – As Introduction to materials and devices”, McGraw-Hill International Edition, 1998.
Return to question paper search