Download Model question papers & previous years question papers
Submit Previous Years University Question Papers
Posted Date: 10 Jun 2008 Posted By:: rama Member Level: Silver Points: 5 (Rs. 1)
2008 Anna University Chennai B.E Electronics & Tele-Communication Engineering EC1003 COMPUTER HARDWARE AND INTERFACING Question paper
EC1003 COMPUTER HARDWARE AND INTERFACING
To enable the student to get a detailed knowledge of all the hardware components that make up a computer and to understand the different interfaces required for connecting these hardware devices.
• To introduce issues related to CPU and memory.
• To understand the components on the motherboard
• To understand different storage media
• To introduce the features of different I/O peripheral devices and their interfaces.
UNIT I CPU AND MEMORY 9
CPU essentials – processor modes – modern CPU concepts – Architectural performance features – the Intel’s CPU – CPU over clocking – over clocking requirements – over clocking the system – over clocking the Intel processors – Essential memory concepts – memory organizations – memory packages – modules – logical memory organizations – memory considerations – memory types – memory techniques – selecting and installing memory.
UNIT II MOTHERBOARDS 9
Active motherboards – sockets and slots – Intel D850GB – Pentium4 mother board – expansion slots – form factor – upgrading a mother board – chipsets – north bridge – south bridge – CMOS – CMOS optimization tactics – configuring the standard CMOS setup – motherboard BIOS – POST – BIOS features – BIOS and Boot sequences – BIOS shortcomings and compatibility issues – power supplies and power management – concepts of switching regulation – potential power problems – power management.
UNIT III STORAGE DEVICES 9
The floppy drive – magnetic storage – magnetic recording principles – data and disk organization – floppy drive – hard drive – data organization and hard drive – sector layout – IDE drive standard and features – Hard drive electronics – CD-ROM drive – construction – CDROM electronics – DVD-ROM – DVD media – DVD drive and decoder.
UNIT IV I/O PERIPHERALS 9
Parallel port – signals and timing diagram – IEEE1284 modes – asynchronous communication - serial port signals – video adapters – graphic accelerators – 3D graphics accelerator issues – DirectX – mice – modems – keyboards – sound boards – audio bench marks.
UNIT V BUS ARCHITECTURE 9
Buses – Industry standard architecture (ISA), peripheral component Interconnect (PCI) – Accelerated Graphics port (AGP) – plug-and-play devices – SCSI concepts – USB architecture.
TOTAL : 45
1. Stephen J.Bigelow, “Trouble Shooting, maintaining and Repairing PCs”, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 2001.
1. Craig Zacker & John Rourke, “The complete reference:PC hardware”, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 2001.
2. Mike Meyers, “Introduction to PC Hardware and Trouble shooting”, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 2003.
3. B.Govindarajulu, “IBM PC and Clones hardware trouble shooting and maintenance”, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 2002.
Return to question paper search
and make money from adsense revenue sharing program
Are you preparing for a university examination? Download model question papers
and practise before you write the exam.