Download Model question papers & previous years question papers
Submit Previous Years University Question Papers
Posted Date: 12 Jul 2008 Posted By:: jalaj Member Level: Gold Points: 5 (Rs. 1)
2006 Punjab Technical University B.Sc Information Technology PTU-BSCIT 1st Semester OPERATING SYSTEM Question paper
BSC (IT) Ist Semester (2096)
Time: 3 Hours Max Marks:75
Note: Part A is compulsory and have 15 short answer questions of 2 marks each. Part B is consists of 12 long answer questions of 5 marks each,out of which you have to attempt nine questions.
Part A (15x2=30)
Short answer questions
1. Explain PCB.
2. What is Kernal thread?
3. What do you mean by virtual machines?
4. What are direct and indirect communications?
5. Explain interface design?
6. What is the difference between a trap and interrupt? What is the use of each function?
7. Explain the difference between internal and external fragmentation.
8. What do you mean by critical section problem?
9. Explain sleeping barber problem.
10. How will you avoid deadlocks?
11. What are the difference in writing an OS for a real time environment?
12. What is Fat 32?
13. What do you mean by single level and two level structures?
14. What do you mean by Hierarchical structure?
15. Explain Kernal I/O subsystem.
1. Compare and contrast the techniques of catching disk blocks locally , on a client system and remotely , on a server.
2. Describe the Monolithic and Layered Architecture.
3. The Definition of Operating system “ It si the software that controls the Hardware” is not adequate. Discuss.
4. Explain different types of CPU scheduling in details.
5. Explain Semaphores and Synchronization problems.
6. Give three (3) page frames use algorithm
(a)LRU (b) OPT to compute the number of page faults for the
following reference string:
F A B C A D A E C D A D C B C A B F A B
7. What do you mean by Deadlock detection and recovery?
8. Define and explain the following
(a) Concurrent Processing
(b) Segmentation with paging
9. What is demand paging?
10. Explain the function of DMA in details.
11. Explain I/O Hardware , polling and Interrupts.
12. Define and explain the following:
(a) Inverted Page Tables
Return to question paper search
and make money from adsense revenue sharing program
Are you preparing for a university examination? Download model question papers
and practise before you write the exam.