Download Model question papers & previous years question papers
Submit Previous Years University Question Papers
Posted Date: 28 Jul 2008 Posted By:: S.Aruljothi Member Level: Gold Points: 5 (Rs. 1)
2007 Anna University Chennai B.E Civil Engineering CC 303 — SURVEYING I Question paper
CC 303 — SURVEYING I
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 ? 2 = 20 marks)
1. What do you mean by limiting length of ‘off set’ in chain surveying?
2. What are the equipments used to measure right angle in the chain surveying?
3. Define ‘bearing of lines’ and ‘true meridian’ in compass surveying.
4. What is ‘orienting the table’ in plane table surveys?
5. Enlist the classification of levelling.
6. What are the special features of precise system of levelling?
7. What are the uses of contours?
8. How do you compute the reservoir volume?
9. Explain the use of ‘Bowditch’s rule’ in traverse computation.
10. Name the different cases of ‘omitted measurements’ in theodolite surveying.
PART B — (5 ? 16 = 80 marks)
11. In levelling between two points A and B on opposite banks of a river, the level was set up near A and the staff readings on A and B were 1.60 m and 2.44 m respectively. The level was then moved and set up near B, and the respective readings on A and B were 0.70 and 1.26. Find the true difference of level between A and B.
12. (a) (i) Explain the use of Optical Square in Chain Surveying.
(ii) Describe the procedure to carryout the base line survey in chain surveying.
(b) (i) Explain profile levelling with suitable example.
(ii) Enlist and explain the types of errors in levelling.
13. (a) (i) What are the precautions to be adopted in using the Compass?
(ii) The bearings of the sides of a traverse ABCDE are as follows :
Side Fore bearing Back bearing
AB 107º 15' 287º 15'
BC 22º 0' 202º 0'
CD 281º 30' 101º 30'
DE 189º 15' 9º 15'
EA 124º 45' 304º 45'
Compute the interior angles of the traverse.
(b) (i) Write briefly the radiation method of plane tabling.
(ii) Explain the method of traversing in a plane table survey.
14. (a) (i) The following perpendicular offsets were taken from a chain line to a hedge :
Chainage in m 0 10 20 40 60
Offset in m 6.10 7.63 4.58 5.49 8.54
Calculate the area between the chain line and the hedge using Simpson’s method.
(ii) Write about the Prismoidal Correction to be applied to volume computation.
(b) (i) How will you compute the area of an irregular area using planimeter?
(ii) Compute the volume of a cutting in cubic meter for a road from the following data :
Breadth of formation = 10 m side slope = 1 to 1
Distance Depth of cutting (h) in m Cross slope of the surface of the ground
0 2.40 1 in 12
30 m 3.0 1 in 8
60 m 3.60 1 in 10
15. (a) (i) How will you carryout the temporary adjustment of a theodolite?
(ii) Explain any one method of measuring horizontal and vertical angle using theodolite.
(b) (i) State and explain omitted measurements in theodolite surveying.
(ii) The interior angles of a closed traverse ABCDEF are as follows :
, 60º 40'; , 201º 38'; , 93º 19'; , 69º 48'; , 210º 13' and , 84º 22'.
Compute the deflection angles of the traverse.
Return to question paper search
and make money from adsense revenue sharing program
Are you preparing for a university examination? Download model question papers
and practise before you write the exam.