Download Model question papers & previous years question papers
Submit Previous Years University Question Papers
Posted Date: 28 Jul 2008 Posted By:: S.Aruljothi Member Level: Gold Points: 5 (Rs. 1)
2007 Anna University Chennai BE Civil Engineering PM 406 — PRINCIPLES OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERING Question paper
PM 406 — PRINCIPLES OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
(Common to Textile Chemistry)
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 ? 2 = 20 marks)
1. Differentiate between natural and forced convection.
2. Define Fourier's law of heat conduction.
3. What is the Donohue's equation? State its usefulness.
4. What is meant by reflux ratio?
5. What is a vertex, how can it be prevented?
6. What are the different types of column packing?
7. What is meant by bound and unbound moisture?
8. What is adiabatic humidification?
9. Define Rittingers law.
10. What is dialysis?
PART B — (5 ? 16 = 80 marks)
11. (i) How are individual mass transfer coefficients related to overall mass transfer coefficients? Derive the relationship. (12)
(ii) What is meant by gas phase controlled mass transfer operation? (4)
12. (a) (i) With the help of a neat sketch describe the working of a 1, 2 shell and tube heat exchanger. (12)
(ii) What is meant by vapour–liquid equilibria. (4)
(b) (i) Briefly discuss the film theory and penetration theory. (8)
(ii) Explain counter current, parallel and cross flow in heat transfer equipment. (8)
13. (a) Describe how the power consumption in agitated vessels are calculated.
(b) (i) What is the principle of absorption. What is meant by limiting gas–liquid ratio in absorption? (8)
(ii) What are the different ways of expressing rate of absorption? (8)
14. (a) Classify the different types of dryers. Explain each briefly. (16)
(b) Describe the working of a cooling tower showing the conditions at the top and the bottom. (16)
15. (a) (i) What are ideal and actual screens? Discuss the factors which affect the capacity and efficiency of screens. (8)
(ii) Explain the usefulness of membranes in liquid–liquid extraction. (8)
(b) Discuss briefly the different types of size reduction equipment. (16)
Return to question paper search
and make money from adsense revenue sharing program
Are you preparing for a university examination? Download model question papers
and practise before you write the exam.