Download Model question papers & previous years question papers
Submit Previous Years University Question Papers
Posted Date: 15 Jul 2009 Posted By:: D Shamasundar Member Level: Gold Points: 5 (Rs. 1)
2006 Pre University Board P.U.C Physics, Chemistry, Maths & Biology Karnataka 2nd PUC Chemistry Question paper Question paper
Code No. 34-NS
Total No. of Questions : 39 ] [ Total No. of Printed Pages : 15
March / April, 2006
( Kannada and English Versions )
( New Syllabus )
Time : 3 Hours ] [ Max. Marks : 90
( English Version )
Instructions : i) The question paper has four Parts.
ii) Parts A, B, C and D are common to all the candidates.
iii) Part A carries 10 marks, Each question carries one mark.
Part B carries 20 marks. Each question carries two marks.
Part C carries 40 marks. Each question carries five marks.
In Part D — D 1 carries 10 marks and D 2 carries
10 marks. Each question of D 2 carries five marks.
iv) Write balanced chemical equations and draw diagrams
PART – A
Note : i) Answer all the 10 questions.
ii) Questions have to be answered in one word or in one
sentence each. Each question carries one mark.
10 × 1 = 10
1. Out of carbon and zinc which is a stronger reducing agent ?
2. Why is Fe 3 + ion more stable than Fe 2 + ion ?
3. If the rate of the reaction is independent of concentration of the reactant,
what is the order of the reaction ?
4. Which noble gas is not adsorbed by charcoal ?
5. What is hydronium ion ?
6. What is the only factor on which the colligative property value depends ?
7. Between potassium nitrate and aluminium nitrate which one is required in
minimum concentration to coagulate arsenious sulphide sol ?
8. Which is the organic product obtained when methyl magnesium iodide
reacts with formaldehyde followed by acid hydrolysis ?
9. Name the least stable cycloalkane.
10. How many amino acid units are present in insulin ?
PART – B
Note : i) Answer any ten questions.
ii) Each question carries two marks. 10 × 2 = 20
11. Justify that concentrated sulphuric acid is a good dehydrating agent with
12. Calculate the bond order in oxygen molecule.
13. The time for half-life of a first order reaction is found to be 30 mins. What
is the rate constant of the reaction ?
14. Define Faraday’s first law of electrolysis.
15. What is a spontaneous reaction ? Explain with an example.
16. What is Tyndall effect ? Explain.
17. Calculate the number of particles present in the unit cell of BCC.
11 Code No. 34-NS
36 [ Turn over
18. Distinguish between inductive effect and electromeric effect.
19. Explain the effect of the following substituents on the acidity of phenol :
i) — CH 3 group
ii) — NO 2 group.
20. How is ethanamine prepared from ethane nitrile ?
21. What are reducing and non-reducing sugars ? Give one example each.
22. What are biological messengers ? Give an example.
PART – C
I. Answer any two of the following : 2 × 5 = 10
23. a) How are noble gases separated by Dewar’s charcoal adsorption
method ? 3
b) With the help of the Ellingham’s diagram, explain why silver
oxide can be thermodynamically decomposed at relatively lower
24. a) Give the postulates of Werner’s theory of coordination
b) Copper (I) compounds are white and diamagnetic whereas
Copper (II) compounds are coloured and paramagnetic. Give
25. a) Describe the manufacture of sodium hydroxide using
Nelson’s cell. 4
b) Write the IUPAC name of ?
CO ( NH ) 3 4 Cl 2 Cl. 1
II. Answer any three of the following : 3 × 5 = 15
26. a) Discuss the molecular orbital structure of benzene. 3
b) Explain geometrical isomerism with an example. 2
27. a) What is S N 1 mechanism ? Explain it using hydrolysis t-butyl
b) Give any two uses of aniline. 2
28. a) Write the Howarth’s ring structure for ß-D ( – ) fructopyranose.
b) Define the term ‘iodine value of an oil’. Mention its significance.
c) What is isoelectric point of amino acids ? 1
29. a) Write the equations for the following reactions : 4
i) Mixture of calcium formate and calcium benzoate is dry
ii) Acetaldehyde is treated with hydroxyl amine
iii) Acetone is treated with hydrogen cyanide
iv) Phenol is heated with a mixture of conc. nitric acid and
conc. sulphuric acid.
b) How do you convert Methane to Ethane ?
III. Answer any three of the following : 3 × 5 = 15
30. a) How are the molecular orbitals formed by the linear combination
of atomic orbitals ? 3
b) Distinguish between ideal and non-ideal solutions. 2
31. a) Calculate the mass of potassium acetate that should be
dissolved in 500 cm 3 of 0·02 M acetic acid solution to prepare
a buffer solution of pH 4·6.
Given K a = 1·8 × 10 – 5 . 3
b) Define the following terms : 2
i) Protective colloid
ii) Gold number.
32. a) Discuss the application of the principles of solubility product
with respect to the analysis of II and IV group basic radicals. 3
b) The standard free energy change ( ? G° ) for a reaction is
– 115 kJ at 27°C. Calculate the equilibrium constant ( K p ). 2
33. a) Derive an expression for the velocity constant of a first order
b) Acetic acid very weakly dissociates in presence of hydrochloric
acid. Give reason. 1
34. a) With diagram, explain the construction and working of standard
hydrogen electrode. Give two limitations. 4
b) Define radius ratio in ionic crystals. 1
PART – D
IV. Answer any one of the following : 1 × 10 = 10
35. a) Explain the chemical reactions that occur during the extraction
of iron from haematite by smelting in a blast furnace. 3
b) What is angle strain ? Calculate the angle strain in cyclobutane.
c) What is a pseudounimolecular reaction ? Give an example. 2
d) Calculate the e.m.f. of the cell prepared by combining
Zn | 1 M ZnSO 4 and Cu | 1 M CuSO 4 at 298 K.
Given E 0
Zn = – 0·76 V and E 0
Cu = + 0·34 V . 2
36. a) On the basis of Valence bond theory, explain hybridisation,
geometrical shape and magnetic property in Cuprammonium
b) i) Explain Perkin’s reaction with an example. 2
ii) How is acetic acid prepared from ethanol ? 1
c) Calculate the osmotic pressure of 10% solution of glucose
at 27°C. Given R = 8·314 JK – 1 mol – 1 . 2
d) Give any two demerits of Arrhenius theory of ionisation. 2
15 Code No. 34-NS
36 [ Turn over
V. Answer any two of the following : 2 × 5 = 10
37. a) Explain the preparation of m-dinitrobenzene from nitrobenzene.
b) Describe Acrolein test. 2
38. Describe an experiment to show the effect of temperature on the rate
of the reaction between potassium persulphate and potassium
39. Describe the experiment to determine the mass of Mohr’s salt
crystals in one dm 3 solution by using standard potassium
dichromate solution. Give the equation for the reaction involved. 5
Return to question paper search
and make money from adsense revenue sharing program
Are you preparing for a university examination? Download model question papers
and practise before you write the exam.