Download Model question papers & previous years question papers
Submit Previous Years University Question Papers
Posted Date: 21 Oct 2009 Posted By:: Ramesh Gupta Member Level: Gold Points: 5 (Rs. 1)
2009 University of Mumbai(Bombay) Commerce M.Com Accounting and Finance M.COM Part-I STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT October 2009 University Question paper
Date: 21 October 2009
(3 Hourse)[ Total Marks : 100
N.B. :- (1) All questions are compulsory and carry equal marks.
(2) Deceptive subject matter shall be treated as unfair means.
1. Define business policy. Discuss the main features of it. What are the essential of good business policy? 
2. (a) What is meant by strategic management? What are the main stages involved in strategic
(b) Explain the concept of diversification? Why do companies pursue diversification strategy?
2. What is meant by environmental analysis? Discuss various environmental factors that need to be
analaysed for effective strategy formulation.
3. (a) What is corporate portfolio analysis? Discuss the BCG Matrix by drawing a suitable diagram.
(b) Discuss the subjective factors that influence the strategic choice.
3. Explain the concept of Resource Mobilisaton and Allocation. Bring out its importance and describe the difficulties faced at the time of Resource Mobilisaton and Allocation.
4. (a) Define Management of Change. Explain the steps involved in the change process.
(b) Discuss the role played by effective leadership in strategy implementation.
4. (a) Describe the relationship between strategy and structure. Discuss any two organisaitonal structures in details.
(b) Explain the meaning and process of Case Study Analysis.
5. (a) Define Strategic Evaluation and Control. Bring out the major differences between Strategic Control and Operational Control. 
(b) Read the case carefully, analyse it and answer the questions given below:- 
Mr. Mahesh, the Managing Director of Big Ltd. has big dreams. He wanted his company to grow big, by acquiring a company called Small Ltd. for 300 crores. He called a meeting of his senior managers to discuss the issues involved in acquiring Small Ltd.
He started meeting with following observation:
‘After the acquisition of Small Ltd., our company will become the second largest consumer goods company in India with sale of Rs.3,000 crores. We will have more money for marketing initiatives, product launches and aggressive pricing strategy. The key reason behind buying Small Ltd. is to create shareholders value. Recent years have been tough for both the company with sever competition. After the acquisition, the company hopes to gain a grater market share and achieve higher efficiency.
The managers discussed various issues in the meeting. Important points that were raised were as follows:
Mr. Prakash, the Production Manager said, “Though I am involved little in the discussion regarding the acquisition, I have closely studied various production facilities available with both the company. I feel production facility of both the companies can be synergized. There is also a need to close down production of theses locations is very high and also they are located in Eastern India, whereas our major sales markets are in West and South.
Mr. Rajesh, the Marketing Manager of Big Ltd. said, ‘we need to analyse the acquisition of Small Ltd. further. The market of the product is in maturity stage with low growth rate. Small Ltd. has little presence in some regions and is not a major competitor for us. Further, there is a marginal gap between our existing third position and the second position held by our competitor. We can easily achieve second position if we are able to fully utilise our capacities.
(i) As a Consultant, advice the Big Ltd. how to proceed before arriving at the decision to acquire any company.
(ii)Conduct SWOT analysis of Big Ltd. from the facts given in the case?
Return to question paper search
and make money from adsense revenue sharing program
Are you preparing for a university examination? Download model question papers
and practise before you write the exam.