Download Model question papers & previous years question papers
Submit Previous Years University Question Papers
Posted Date: 30 Nov 2009 Posted By:: arjunpandey007 Member Level: Silver Points: 5 (Rs. 1)
2007 SRM University B.Tech Computer Science and Engineering Question Bank DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS Question paper
S.R.M. INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
Subject:DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS Branch : CSE
Sub.code :CS302 Year/Sem : III yr B.Tech (VI sem)
1. Define database
2. Define DBMS
3. Mention the disadvantages of file system over DBMS
4. Explain data redundancy and inconsistency
5. What is data isolation?
6. What is atomicity problem in file systems?
7. What are the 3 levels of data abstraction?
8. What are instances and schemas?
9. What are the various data models available?
10. What are entities and entity sets? Give eg.
11. What are relationship and relationship sets? Give eg.
12. Draw ER diagram for the following entity set
Employee: eno, ename, salary, doj, phone_no, dob, age
where ename is composite, phone_no is multi-valued and age is derived attribute
13. What is DDL?
14. What is DML?
15. What is the role of DBA?
16. What are the functions of transaction management?
17. What are the components of storage manager?
18. Explain 2-tier architecture
19. Explain 3-tier architecture.
20. What are the components of query processor?
21. Define data model
22. Define mapping cardinality.
23. What are the participation constraints?
24. What are the different types of mapping cardinalities?
25. Differentiate primary key and candidate key
26. Differentiate super key and candidate key.
27. What is a foreign key? Give eg.
28. What is a weak entity set?
29. What is a strong entity set?
30. Differentiate specialization and generalization.
31. What are the constraints on generalizations?
32. Explain aggregation
33. What is E-R model?
1. Comment on DBMS vs FileSystems.
2. Explain the various data models.
3. Explain the design of an E-R database schema
4. Write short notes on:
5. Write short notes on
(a) Weak entity set
(b) Strong entity set
6. Write short notes on
(a) Mapping cardinalities
(b) Participation constraints
7. Explain the system structure of database
8. Write short notes on
(a) Database users
(b) Transaction management
1. How the storage media are classified ?
2. What are the storage media available ?
3. Define tracks & sectors .
4. What is the use of read-write head in magnetic disks ?
5. Define striping data and bit level striping.
6. Write short notes on Buffer Manager .
7. Give example for fixed length record.
8. What is sequential file organization ?
9. What is hashing file organization ?
10. Define data dictionary .
11. Define clustering and non clustering indices.
12. What is dense index ?
13. What is sparse index ?
14. How the index are updated ?
15. Write disadvantages in Multilevel indices ?
16. What are multilevel indices ?
17. Give example for secondary indices.
18. Write the disadvantage of the index-sequential file organization ?
19. Define balance tree .
20. Give example for structure of a B+ tree.
21. Compare B-tree and B+ tree.
22. Write advantages of B-trees.
23. What is the use of bucket ?
24. What do you mean by Bucket overflow ?
25. Define open hashing and closed hashing ?
26. What is linear probing ?
27. What is skew ?
28. What is the use of dynamic hashing ?
29. What is extendable hashing ?
30. Define hash function .
1. Explain the physical storage media .
2. Explain the physical characteristics of magnetic disks.
3. How the performance measured in the magnetic disks ?
4. What is RAID ? Explain the RAID LEVELS ?
5. Write short notes on
1. Magnetic tapes
2. Optical disks.
6. Explain the file organization with example.
7. Explain the sequential file organization .
8. Explain the multilevel indices with example.
9. Explain the structure of B+ trees.
10. Write short notes on:
2. Hash functions.
3. Dynamic hashing.
1. What is lossless join?
2. Define third normal form.
3. Define functional dependency.
4. Define Update statement in SQL.
5. What do you mean by Normalization?
6. What is the need for Normalization?
7. Discuss how views can be created in SQL.
8. Give an example for a relation in First Normal form.
9. Define Domain key Normal form
10. Mention the fundamental operations of relational algebra
11. Give an example for Cartesian product operation
12. Mention the extended algebra operations
13. Explain the rename operation with eg.
14. What are the different types of constraints that can be specified on a relation?
15. Define second normal form.
16. Define fourth normal form
17. Define fifth normal form
18. Explain multi-valued dependency
19. Explain Join dependency
20. Give the basic structure of an SQL expression.
21. Brief about embedded SQL
22. What are the built-in aggregate functions in SQL
23. Give an example for nested sub query and explain it.
24. Give the types of join operations in relational algebra with their symbols.
25. Explain natural join with eg
26. What is relational algebra?
27. Define BCNF.
1. Define First Normal form and explain with an example.
2. Define Second Normal Form and explain with an example.
3. Distinguish between
(a) Normalized relation and Unnormalized relation
(b) BCNF and 3NF
4. Explain the various types of constraints that can be specified on a relational database schema.
5. Explain fundamental operations in relational algebra with suitable example.
6. Discuss BCNF and fourth normal form in detail with suitable example.
7. Explain how modifications are done on a database with suitable example.
8. Explain the various join operations of relational algebra with suitable example.
Part – A
1. Specify the basic steps of processing a query.
2. What is an Evaluation Primitive?
3. What is a Query Evaluation plan?
4. What does the query execution engine do?
5. What are the measures in calculating the query cost?
6. What are Index scans and Access paths?
7. Write and explain an example for Conjunction and Disjunction.
8. Describe the following.
(i) Conjunctive selection by intersection of identifiers.
(ii) Disjunctive selection by Union of identifiers.
9. Describe in short about nested-loop join and block –nested loop join.
10. What is indexed nested loop join?
11. What is Merge join?
12. What is Recursive Partioning?
13. Give an example for Outer join.
14. What is the advantage of double buffering?
15. What do you mean by Materialization?
16. What do you mean by Duplicate Elimination?
17. Classify and Explain about Pipelining.
18. What is the use of Pipelining?
19 Explain how simple selection operations are processed.
20. Hashing and sorting are dual. Justify.
21. Define Query Optimization.
22. What are the statistics stored in the Database for each relation ‘r’.
23. What do you mean by a Materialized View?
24. Specify when a set of equivalence rules is said to be Minimal.
25. Distinguish between Left deep join order and Non-left deep join order.
26. What is View Maintenance?
27. Specify and explain the types of errors that may cause a transaction to fail.
28. Write short notes on Recovery and Atomicity.
29. What are the contents of an Update log record?
30. Specify the benefit of Deferred-Modification technique.
31. What is the purpose of Checkpoints?
32. What do you mean by Write-Ahead Logging?
33. What is Fuzzy check pointing?
34. What are the various types of locks?
35. State and Explain Thomas’ Write rule.
36. Draw and explain the state diagram of a transaction.
37. What is a recoverable schedule?
38. What is cascading rollback?
39. What is cascade less schedule?
Part – B
1. Explain the various issues of Selection operation in detail.
2. Explain in detail about Merge sorting and it’s use in Query Processing.
3. Explain the various issues of Hash join in detail.
4. Describe about the pipelined join algorithm in detail.
5. Write brief notes on estimating statistics of Expression results.
6. State and explain the various equivalence rules in detail.
7. Write brief notes on Transformation of relational expressions.
8. Describe the following in detail.
a. Cost based optimization.
b. Heuristic optimization.
9. Explain in detail about the various issues of Storage structure.
10. Explain how the database modification is done using various techniques.
11. Explain in detail about Shadow paging.
12. Explain in detail about the various issues of Buffer management.
13. Describe the ARIES recovery algorithm in detail.
14. Describe in detail about the design of a Remote back up system.
15. Briefly explain about the Two phase locking protocols.
16. Describe in detail about the Graph-based protocols.
17. Describe in detail about the Time stamp-based protocols.
18. Describe in detail about the validation-based protocols.
19. Explain in detail about the various issues of multiple-granularity locking protocols.
20. Explain in detail about the method of handling a deadlock.
21. Briefly explain about the issues of Concurrent Executions.
22. Briefly explain about the issues of Serializability.
Part – A
1. What is Distributed database system?
2. What is Homogeneous database?
3. What is Heterogeneous database?
4. What is a temporal database?
5. Explain the term interval with reference to the temporal database.
6. State the various interval types.
7. What is a spatial data? Classify it.
8. State the types of queries that involve spatial locations.
9. State and explain the types of the Geographic data.
10. Define Data Mining.
11. Enlist the applications of Data Mining.
12. What is a Data warehouse?
13. Give an example for a star schema.
14. What is a Deductive database?
15. What is a Datalog and what are the contents of it?
16. Explain the infer and deduce operations of a Deductive database systems.
17. What are Least Model Semantics?
18. Describe in short about the Fixpoint operator.
19. What are safe Datalog Programs?
20. How evaluation of recursive queries is done?
21. Define an Object Oriented DBMS.
22. What is a Persistent Programming language?
23. Why do we go for an Object relational data model?
24. What is a nested relational model?
25. What are collection and large Object types?
26. What are Structured Types?
27. What are path expressions?
28. What are collection-valued attributes?
29. Describe about Nesting and Unnesting of Object-Relational Databases.
Part – B
1. Describe in detail about the various scalar operators and aggregate operators on intervals.
2. Describe in detail about the various relational operators involving intervals.
3. Briefly explain about the constraints and Update operators involving intervals.
4. Explain how the horizontal and vertical decomposition methods are used in
the design of a temporal database.
5. With necessary diagrams, describe how the indexing of spatial data is done in a spatial database.
6. With necessary diagrams and algorithm, briefly explain about the Decision Tree Classifiers.
7. Write short notes on the following.
(i) Bayesian Classifiers and naïve Bayesian Classifiers
(iii) Association rules
8. Describe in detail about the components of a Data warehouse.
9. Explain in detail about the Magic Sets Algorithm of the Deductive databases.
10. Explain in detail about the role of databases in Web servers and sessions.
11. Explain how the performance of web databases can be improved.
12. Explain the following aspects mobile databases in detail.
(i) Mobile Computing
(ii) Routing and Query Processing
(iii) Broadcasting data
(iv)Disconnectivity and consistency.
13. Describe in detail about the various issues of Object Oriented Data model.
14. Describe in detail about the persistence of Objects.
15. Explain how Object-Relational Databases provide inheritance.
16 Describe in detail about the Reference types of Object Oriented Data model.
17. Describe in detail about the Functions and Procedures of Object- Relational
18. Describe in detail about the Procedural Constructs of Object- Relational
19. Distinguish between Object Oriented databases and Object relational
Return to question paper search
and make money from adsense revenue sharing program
Are you preparing for a university examination? Download model question papers
and practise before you write the exam.