Download Model question papers & previous years question papers
Submit Previous Years University Question Papers
Posted Date: 05 Dec 2009 Posted By:: arjunpandey007 Member Level: Silver Points: 5 (Rs. 1)
2007 SRM University B.Tech Electronics and Communications Engineering Question Bank : Satellite Communication & Broadcasting Question paper
S.R.M. Institute of Science & Technology
School of Electronics & Communication Engineering
Subject Code : EC405
Subject Name : Satellite Communication & Broadcasting
Year & Sem : IV Year B.Tech (ECE) ,7th Sem.
1. State Kepler’s I law.
2. State Kepler’s II law.
3. State Kepler’s III law.
4. Define Prograde and retrograde orbit.
5. What is geosynchronous / geostationary orbit.
6. Define polar and inclined orbit.
7. Define angle of inclination with sketch.
8. Define angle of elevation with sketch.
9. Define azimuth angle with sketch.
10. Explain what is meant by ascending and descending nodes.
11. Explain what is meant by line of apsides and lines of nodes.
12. Define argument of perigee with neat sketch.
13. Define right ascension of ascending node with diagram.
14. Define mean and true anamoly.
15. Give the expression of satellite velocity.
16. Write short notes on transfer orbit.
17. Define satellite period.
18. Discuss east and west station keeping.
19. Discuss north and south station keeping.
20. Give the expression of azimuth and elevation angle.
21. What is sun synchronous orbit.
22. List out the optimization parameters for satellite constellation.
23. List out the characteristics of polar constellation.
24. List out the characteristics of inclined constellation.
25. List out the characteristics of hybrid constellation.
26. Define regression of nodes.
27. Write notes on rotation of lines of apsides.
28. Define synodic, sidereal, and anamolistic period.
29. Define latitude and longitude with neat sketch.
30. Define SSP.
PART - B
1. Write notes on station keeping.
2. Describe attitude control.
3. Describe the main effects of the earth’s equatorial bulge on satellite orbit.
4. a) Write notes on SSP. b) Effects of Atmospheric drag on satellite orbit.
5. Derive the expression for antenna look angles.
6. Describe satellite launching.
7. List out the characteristics, merits and demerits of LEO, MEO and GEO.
8. Write notes on satellite constellations.
9. Explain orbital pertuburation in detail.
10. a) Define orbital elements. b) Describe sun synchronous orbit .
PART - A
1. Define polarization.
2. Explain horizontal polarization.
3. Explain vertical polarization.
4. Explain linear polarization.
5. Explain orthogonal polarization.
6. Define cross polar discrimination.
7. Define polarization isolation.
8. Explain ice and snow effects.
9. What is meant by depolarization.
10. Define tilt angle.
11. Define EIRP.
12. Explain what is meant by noise factor.
13. Give the expression to determine receiver and cable noise temperature.
14. What is meant by saturation flux density?
15. Explain the need for back-off.
16. Give the expression for thermal noise power.
17. Write note on antenna misalignment losses.
18. Give the expression for FSL.
19. Define antenna noise.
20. Give the expression for G/T ratio and its use.
21. Give the expression for PHPA and PTWTA.
22. Define intermodulation noise.
23. Define thermal noise.
1. Write notes on atmospheric absorption and scintillation at troposphere and ionosphere.
2. Write notes on rain attenuation and derive the expression for the same.
3. Describe the Faraday rotation in the ionosphere and rain depolarization.
4. Explain briefly what is meant by sun transit outage and earth eclipse.
5. Derive the link power budget equation.
6. Derive the expression for overall system noise temperature.
7. Derive the expression for C/N for uplink.
8. Derive the expression for C/N for downlink.
9. Describe the effects of rain and intermodulation noise on C/N ratio.
10. a) Write notes on frequency of operation.
b) Derive the expression for combined uplink/downlink C/N ratio.
1. What is spacecraft bus?
2. List out the spacecraft subsystems?
3. What is spacecraft payload?
4. List out the causes for variations in solar power output.
5. What are the techniques for voltage regulation?
6. Define the function of power subsystem.
7. List out the factors for thermal variation during spacecraft launching phase.
8. List out the factors for thermal variation during spacecraft operational phase.
9. Define the function of thermal subsystem.
10. Give the Stefan-Boltzman equation for heat radiation.
11. Derive the equation for spacecraft temperature.
12. List out the thermal control techniques.
13. Define the function of AOCS.
14. List out the attitude and Orbit Control Electronics.
15. List out the disturbance torques that causes driff in attitude.
16. What are the techniques for attitude control?
17. List out the various techniques for generation of correction torque / stabilization.
18. Define the function of telemetry subsystem.
19. List out few parameters measured by telemetry subsystem.
20. Give few examples of commands used for TTC.
21. List out the techniques for tracking a satellite.
22. What are the different types of transponders?
23. What is transponder?
24. What is transparent transponder?
25. What is regenerative transponder?
26. Differentiate global coverage spot beam coverage?
27. Name the antenna system that can be used for global coverage.
28. Name the antenna system for spot beam coverage.
29. Name the antenna system for complex coverage area.
30. List out the optimization parameters for coverage area.
31. List out the subsystems of earth station.
32. List out the parameters for selection of LNA.
1. Describe spacecraft subsystem with diagram.
2. Explain spacecraft power subsystem.
3. Discuss the attitude, orbit and control (AOCS) subsystem of spacecraft.
4. Describe Telemetry, Tracking and command subsystem of spacecraft.
5. Explain Thermal Subsystem of spacecraft
6. Discuss stabilization subsystem of spacecraft.
7. Explain transponder subsystem with neat sketch.
8. Explain a) Antenna subsystem of spacecraft b) propulsion subsystem of spacecraft.
9. Describe transmit-receive earth station with block diagram and cassegrain antenna.
10. Discuss space qualification and derive the expression for relativity.
1. Define Bandwidth
2. Discuss: Satellite Bandwidth
3. Define FDM
4. Define TDM
5. What is Multiplexer
6. What is Demultiplexer
7. Define TDMA
8. Define FDMA
9. Define CDMA
10. Application of INSAT
11. Application of INMARSAT
12. Application of INTELSAT
13. Draw the structure of TDMA frame format
14. What is meant by channelized FDMA
15. Define Guard Time
16. What is meant by frequency hopping?
17. Define MCPC
18. Define SCPC
19. Define: Circuit Switching
20. Define : Packet Switching
21. Compare Circuit switching and Packet Switching
22. Compare FDM and TDM
23. List out the various type of CDMA
24. List out the advantages of CDMA
25. Define fixed Assignment system
26. Define Demand Assignment System
27. Define DS-CDMA
28. Explain the operation of TDMA frame acquisition
29. Explain the operation of TDMA frame synchronization
30. What are the services offered by Geostationary and Non-Geostationary satellites.
1. Briefly discuss about INTELSAT.
2. Briefly discuss about INSAT.
3. Briefly discuss about INMARSAT.
4. Briefly discuss about Mobile Satellite Services
5. Briefly discuss about Weather Forecasting Services.
6. Briefly discuss about Satellite Navigation.
7. Compare Multiple Access Techniques.
8. Explain various types of multiple access techniques.
9. Explain the operation of DS-CDMA
1. What are the different TV standards?
2. What is the line and field frequency of PAL and NTSC?
3. What are the number of frames and the scanning lines in PAL and NTSC?
4. What is the uplink frequency for satellite TV and why the uplink should be greater?
5. Differentiate MATV and CATV.
6. Define DBS and DAB.
7. What is video-on-demand?
8. Give some examples of broadcasting satellite.
9. Give some application of INSAT and ASIASTAR.
10. Define signal bandwidth, filter bandwidth, and Channel bandwidth.
11. Explain the principle behind interlaced scanning.
12. What is the Bandwidth requirement for satellite broadcast system?
1. With neat block diagram explain the principle and operation of PAL.
2. With neat block diagram explain the principle and operation of NTSC.
3. Explain in detail about community antenna television.
4. Explain the operation of Direct to Home at the Transmitter and Receiver level.
5. With neat block diagram explain the operation of Satellite Radio Receiver System.
6. Write Short notes on Digital Audio Broadcasting.
7. Write Short notes on CD audio system.
8. Write Short notes on INSAT.
9. Write Short notes on ASIASTAR.
10. Write Short notes on Direct Broadcast System.
Return to question paper search
and make money from adsense revenue sharing program
Are you preparing for a university examination? Download model question papers
and practise before you write the exam.