Download Model question papers & previous years question papers
Submit Previous Years University Question Papers
Posted Date: 22 Oct 2010 Posted By:: Nishant Rai Member Level: Silver Points: 5 (Rs. 1)
2010 National Science Olympiad Paper Class X Question paper
National Science Olympiad
1. In an office with 21 staff members, 1/3 are men and 2/3 are women. To obtain a staff in which 1/4 are
men, how many women should be hired?
2. A jogger desires to run a certain course in 1/4 less time than she usually takes; by what percent must she
increase her average running speed to accomplish this goal?
(C) 33 1/3
3. A salesman makes a commission of x percent on the first Rs. 2,000 worth of sale in any given month and
y percent on all further sales during that month. If he makes Rs. 700 from Rs. 4,000 of sales in October
and he makes Rs. 900 from Rs. 5,000 of sales in November, what is the value of x ?
4. A magician wants to ship a magic wand to the location of his next show. The rectangular box he has
available for this purpose measures 6 inches wide by 8 inches long by 10 inches high. What is the
longest cylindrical wand of negligible diameter that can be shipped in this box?
(A) 10 inches
(B) 8 2 inches
(C) 8 3 inches
(D) 10 2 inches
5. The price of sugar increased 20 percent in 2000 and 10 percent in 2001. By approximately what percent
would the price at the end of 2001 have to be decreased to restore the price of the sugar to its pre2000 price?
6. If the Moon were twice as massive as it is now, and it has stayed in the same orbital radius about the
Earth as it has now, its new orbital period (in terms of its current orbital period T ) would be,
7. A virtual image is formed by a concave mirror when object is placed
(A) Between focus and centre of curvature
(B) Beyond C
(C) At infinity
(D) Behind the mirror
8. No heat loss occurs during flow of charge in super conductors because
(A) Speed of charge is slow in it
(C) It offers zero resistance
(B) It is bad conductor of heat
(D) It generates very small voltage
9. How do we know that fission isn't responsible for the sun's energy ?
(A) Fission doesn't produce enough energy per gram of fuel
(B) If fission were going on in the sun, the sun would explode
(C) If fission were going on in the sun, the sun's mass would increase
(D) There isn't very much fissionable material in the sun.
10. Which of the following groups of instruments is required to have communication line between two television
relay centres ?
(A) Microwave link, booster relay, satellite
(B) Radio telescope, microwave link, booster relay, telephone
(C) Microwave link, telephone, booster relay, satellite
(D) All of these
11. In a circular coil of wire if the current is flowing in the anticlockwise direction,
the face will be north pole. When there is no current in the coil, if the north
pole is brought near the coil, during that time, the current induced in the coil
(C) The current will be in the same direction whether the north pole is brought
near or taken away
(D) (A) and (C) are correct
12. During calcination of the ore
(A) The lower oxides are converted into higher oxides
(B) The metal gets oxidised to its highest oxide
(C) Volatile impurities are expelled
(D) Sulphur present in the ore is converted into SO 2
13. Which of the following statements is NOT true regarding iron?
(A) It is hard and brittle.
(C) It cannot be welded.
(B) It can be tempered.
(D) It contains 4 5% of carbon
14. Heating of rubber with sulphur is known as
15. The gas evolved in Bhopal tragedy was
(B) CO 2
(C) Methyl isocyanate
(D) N 2
16. Which of the following gases forms a stable complex compound (leading to death) with haemoglobin of
the human blood ?
(C) Carbon monoxide
(B) Carbon dioxide
17. When copper is heated with concentrated H SO 4 the products obtained are
(A) CuSO 4 + H 2
(C) CuSO 4 + SO 2 + H 2 O
(B) CuSO 4 + SO 2 +H 2
(D) CuO + SO 3 + H 2
18. Lathyrism due to consumption of khesari dal is characterised by
(A) Skeletal deformation and thinning of collagen fibres
(B) Skeletal deformities, diabetes mellitus and reproductive failure
(C) Retarded growth, precocious puberty and renal dysfunction
(D) Cardiovascular abnormalities, mental retardation and delayed puberty.
19. Which one yields more energy?
(A) Direct burning of cowdung
(B) Burning of biogas derived from cowdung
(C) Burning of manure derived from cowdung
(D) Burning of semidecayed cowdung
20. Mark the incorrect match.
(B) Vitamin B 1
(C) Vitamin B 4
(D) Vitamin C
Deficiency of haemoglobin in R.B.C.
Water logging of the tissue, paralysis
Pigeon chest, loss of teeth
Loosening of teeth, swelling and bleeding of gums
Return to question paper search
Related Question Papers:
and make money from adsense revenue sharing program
Are you preparing for a university examination? Download model question papers
and practise before you write the exam.
Active MembersTodayLast 7 Daysmore...