Download Model question papers & previous years question papers
Submit Previous Years University Question Papers
Posted Date: 08 Dec 2010 Posted By:: VEERAIYAN BOSE Member Level: Gold Points: 5 (Rs. 1)
2010 Anna University Chennai B.E Computer Science and Engineering Cs2254 — operating systems Question paper
Reg. No. :
B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, APRIL/MAY 2010
Computer Science and Engineering
CS2254 — OPERATING SYSTEMS
(Common to Information Technology)
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 Marks
Answer ALL Questions
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 Marks)
1. Mention the objectives and functions of an operating system.
2. Define thread. Differentiate user threads from kernel threads.
3. What is a semaphore? State the two parameters.
4. What is deadlock? What are the schemes used in operating system to handle
5. Differentiate a page from a segment.
6. What is meant by thrashing? Give an example.
7. Mention the objectives of file management system.
8. Differentiate the various file access methods.
9. What is the need for disk scheduling?
10. What does swap-space management mean?
PART B — (5 × 16 = 80 Marks)
11. (a) (i) Explain the operating system structure and its components. (Marks 8)
(ii) Explain briefly IPC in Linux. (Marks 8)
(b) (i) Explain Process Control Block. (Marks 4)
(ii) Describe the differences among short-term, medium-term, and
long-term scheduling. (Marks 4)
(iii) Describe the Inter Process communication in client-server systems.
12. (a) (i) Distinguish between preemptive and non-preemptive scheduling.
Explain each type with an example. (Marks 8)
(ii) What is synchronization? Explain how semaphores can be used to
deal with n-process critical section problem. (Marks 8)
(b) (i) Discuss the issues in multiprocessor and real-time scheduling. (Marks 8)
(ii) Explain Banker's deadlock-avoidance algorithm with an
illustration. (Marks 8)
13. (a) (i) Discuss how memory is allocated in variable partition
multiprogramming. (Marks 6)
(ii) Explain memory management in Linux. (Marks 10)
(b) (i) Discuss segmentation in detail. Compare it with paging. (Marks 8)
(ii) Explain FIFO, LRU and Second-chance page replacement
algorithms with an example reference string. (Marks 8)
14. (a) (i) Explain linked file allocation method. (Marks 6)
(ii) Describe Windows XP file system in detail. (Marks 10)
(b) (i) What is the role of Access matrix for protection? Explain. (Marks 5)
(ii) What is meant by free space management? Explain. (Marks 5)
(iii) Explain the directory structure of Linux operating system. (Marks 6)
15. (a) (i) Explain the services provided by a kernel I/O subsystem. (Marks 8)
(ii) Explain and compare the C-LOOK and C-SCAN disk scheduling
algorithms. (Marks 8)
(b) (i) Write an elaborate note on RAID. (Marks 6)
(ii) Explain in detail the salient features of Linux I/O. (10)
Return to question paper search
and make money from adsense revenue sharing program
Are you preparing for a university examination? Download model question papers
and practise before you write the exam.