Download Model question papers & previous years question papers
Submit Previous Years University Question Papers
Posted Date: 21 Dec 2010 Posted By:: swathi Member Level: Bronze Points: 5 (Rs. 1)
2008 Periyar University General B.Sc Computer Science B.Sc (CS) /B.Sc (IS) /B.C.A - Operating System Question paper
S.No.204 Paper code:06 UCA 10/06 UCS 08/06 UIS 08
B.Sc (CS) /B.Sc (IS) /B.C.A DEGREE EXAMINATION,
Time:Three hours Maximum:100 marks
PART A [Marks 2*10=20]
Answer ALL questions.
1. What is operating system?
2. What is an interrupt?
3. What is critical section?
4. What is deadlock?
5. What is the advantage and its weakness of fixed partitioning of memory?
6. What is paging?
7. What is long term scheduling?
8. What is throughput?
9. What is a database?
10. What are the operations to be performed on a directory?
PART B [Marks 4*5=20]
11. (a) What are the objectives of operating system?
(b) Draw the process state transition diagram and explain.
12. (a) What are the operations performed on semaphore?
(b) What are the necessary conditions for a deadlock to occur?Explain.
13. (a) Explain with an example, the fixed partitioned memory management scheme
(b) Define any two placement algorithms.
14. (a) Define any four scheduling criteria.
(b) Write a note on I/O buffering.
15. (a) Write the information elements of a file directory.
(b) What are the three methods of record blocking? Explain.
PART C [12*5=60]
Answer ALL questions.
16. (a) Describing the evolution of operating system.
(b) Explain the role of process control block.
17. (a) Explain in detail about message passing mechanism.
(b) Explain with an example, the method of avoiding deadlock.
18. (a) Explain with an example, the segmented memory management system.
(b) Explain with an example, the virtual memory management system.
19. (a) Explain with an example, the various process scheduling methods.
(b) Explain with an example, the various disk scheduling strategies.
20. (a) Explain with an example, the allocation methods in secondary storage.
(b) Describe in detail, the architecture of file system
Return to question paper search
and make money from adsense revenue sharing program
Are you preparing for a university examination? Download model question papers
and practise before you write the exam.