Download Model question papers & previous years question papers
Submit Previous Years University Question Papers
Posted Date: 09 Mar 2011 Posted By:: R S Chandu Member Level: Silver Points: 5 (Rs. 1)
2010 Mahatma Gandhi University Languages B.A English M.G. University, B.A. English (Main) Paper II - Linguistics, March 2010 Question paper
B.A. DEGREE EXAMINATION, MARCH, 2010
Faculty of Language and Literature
Part III-Group VIII (a)-English (Main)
Paper II - LINGUISTICS
Time: Three Hours Maximum: 80 Marks
I. Transcribe the following words phonemically, marking primary
1. Storm 2. Divorce 3. Bouquet
4. Ewe 5. Vegetable 6. Articulation
7. Paradigm 8. Citizen
II. Attempt a phonemic transcription of the following passage :-
Voice : Hello ! Can I speak to John ?
Receptionist : He is not in yet can I take a message ?
Voice : I'll call you back later.
Voice : Has John arrived ?
Answer : No...not yet.
Voice : John, please.
Answer : Sorry, He has left for the day can I help
Voice : Yes. How can I get a job with you?
(1 x 8 = 8 marks)
III. Write short notes on any one of the following in about 50 words
1. Velum. 2. Syllabic consonant.
3. Classification of consonants according to manner of ar-
4. Voiced and voiceless sounds. 5. Frictionless continuant
6. Intonation patterns in questions. 7. Elision.
8. Back vowels.
9. Active and passive articulators. (6 x 2 = 12 marks)
IV. Write short notes on any six of the following each in about 50
1. Spelling-pronunciation disparity in English.
2. Give two examples to explain the influence of Malayalam
(or your mother tongue)on the pronunciation of English.
3. Rhythm in poetry. 4. Indian English.
5. IPA. 6. spoken language.
7. Write a note on old English. 8. What is Esperanto ?
9. Write a note on the reacts on against the notion of stan-
dard English. (6 x 2 = 12 marks)
V. Write short notes on any six of the following each in about 50
2. Dr. Johnson's dictionary.
3. Competence and performance.
4. How do loan words enter a language ?
5. Diachronic study. 6. Etymology.
7. Mention the authors who contributed the following words
to the language:-
(a) The life force. (b) Non-attachment.
(c) The never-never land. (d) Utopian.
8. Compound words. 9. Polysemy. (6 x 2 = 12 marks)
VI. Answer any ten of the following in about 50 words each:
1. What are structural words ?
2. Explain with an example an active to passive transforma-
3. Distinguish between Phonetics and Phonology.
4. What are PS rules ?
5. What is Syntax ?
6. Distinguish between Phoneme and Morpheme.
7. Comment on the introduction of the words "Slumdog" to
the English vocabulary.
8. What is an Affix ?
9. Free variation.
10. What is categorical labelling ?
11. What is the impact of SMS through mobile phones on
English spelling ?
12. Prescriptive fallacy.
13. Discontinuous constituents.
14. What does the term "generative" mean in TG grammar ?
15. Reversal of meaning. (10 x 2 = 20 marks)
VII. Answer any one of the following in about 200 words:-
1. In what sense is Linguistics a science ?
2. What influence did the introduction of printing have on
the English language ?
3. Write an essay on English as a world language.
(1 x 8 = 8 marks)
Return to question paper search
and make money from adsense revenue sharing program
Are you preparing for a university examination? Download model question papers
and practise before you write the exam.