New Member FAQ
Awards & Gifts
Last 7 Days
Join our online
for Bloggers, Content Writers and Webmasters
Some common mistakes during career change
These are some points that we should take care when we are on the verge of changing jobs.
Some common mistakes that we make while switching jobs:
- Quitting your current job without any proper future plan in place. You will feel the pain when you sense that you do not get the pay cheque which you regularly used to get at the end of every month. Be prepared for it. If you plan to take up further studies, make sure that you have a standard source of income to meet your educational demands; as well as to attend to your family needs. Also, in such cases make doubly sure that you are investing your time and money in the right training course.
- Quitting a job merely for the sake of higher salary. Monetary evaluation is not the only criteria for selection of a job.
- Quitting a job owing to personal differences with some individual is not on healthy grounds.
- Attending an interview without proper preparation. Ensure that the resume that you are carrying is the latest updated one. Spend some time on the internet or through friends and references to understand about the new company and collect a fair idea about what they are into; who are their clients, etc. Also be ready with some personal marketing messages - these would be areas which are your strength; and would add value to your profile.
- Joining a new job without proper assessment of the Company, industry and existing market conditions. Even if it may be the best of the companies in the industry; nevertheless it has to match to your interests, abilities, and work values.
- Joining a new job which does not offer proper growth potential. Never take up a job out of desperation - your dream job may be the next phone call that you may have received. Your job will not be interesting if you keep doing the same work that you did couple of years back; and maybe for few years more. Career stagnation will lead to high stress levels; and frustration in your work.
- Never be demotivated if you do not get appointed for a job that you were trying hard; and continuously following up. Once the Director of a Public Limited Company was addressing a group of newly joined recruits, all of whom were 0-2 years experienced engineers. The company had received 614 applications for a requirement of 4 engineers; out of which 120 where shortlisted for preliminary interview. Further, 9 candidates where filtered for final round of interview; out of which 4 people got selected. After the congratulations and the welcome note, the Director addressed saying "Please do not be under the impression that you were the best 4 out of the 614 people. There were many candidates with much better grades and skillsets than you; and of course many candidates with skills lower than you. Why we chose you 4 out of so many candidates is because we felt you 4 are the most suited to our organisation". This is very true. Companies accept any candidate only when there is a matching of profile with the position sought.
- Never leave a company with a negative note. Settle off all pending issues amicably and to best of understanding of the person whom you hand over your responsibility; and your seniors. As they say, "there is never a permanent foe in business". You never know when your career may take a turn and lead you to either the same organisation; or the same set of people that you were working with!
Energetic words for better career
Thinking of moving ahead in your career
Pilot: As a career option
Start a Career Tips For Writers
CA and CS: Career Probability
Take care on your self confidence
The value of experience
Tips for your first month on the job
Career prospects through Distance Education.
Read related articles:
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
Responses to "Some common mistakes during career change"
No responses found. Be the first to respond...
Notify me by email when others post comments to this article.
Do not include your name, "with regards" etc in the comment. Write detailed comment, relevant to the topic.
No HTML formatting and links to other web sites are allowed.
This is a strictly moderated site. Absolutely no spam allowed.
to fill automatically.
(Will not be published, but
to validate comment)
Type the numbers and letters shown on the left.
Influence of role models in our career choice.
Latest technologies to learn for getting placed in reputed companies
Return to Resources
Post New Resource
Post resources and
Influence of role models in our career choice.
Usefull websites for Campus Recruitment Aspirants
Archeology - not the past, but your future.
Are you talented in "Games Designing?"
Question Paper on derivatives
Tag posting guidelines
Mistakes while job change
Subscribe to Email
Get Jobs by Email
Forum posts by Email
Articles by Email
Vijay Kumar T V
AdSense Revenue Sharing sites
ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. Copyright © All Rights Reserved.