hiring content writers
to work from home
Fundus fluorescein angiography- FFA-a test to study retinal disease.
Posted Date: 26-Apr-2010
Dr Sachine (Eye Retina Surgeon)
This resource gives information about "Fundus fluorescein angiography" a test to study retinal disease.
Its a specialized investigation to study retinal & Choroidal circulation. Fluorescein dye is injected in vein. This dye reaches retina & serial retinal photos are taken.
When Fundus fluorescein angiography is done
1. Proliferative diabetic retinopathy & diabetic macular edema ,
2. Central retinal vein occlusion,
3. Ocular ischemic syndrome.
4. Branch retinal vein occlusion
5. Central retinal artery occlusion (CRAO)
6. Central serous retinopathy
7. Optic disc edema- Anterior ischemic optic neuropathy, optic neuritis
8. Choroidal neovascular membranes (CNVMs) in Age related macular degeneration, angioid streak, high myopia, juxtafoveal telengiectasia etc
9. Cystoid macular edema which occurs in diabetes & after cataract surgery ( Irvine-Gass syndrome)
10. Active Choroiditis
11. Acute multifocal placoid pigmentary epitheliopathy(APMPPE)
12. Retinal vasculitis
13. Eale's disease
14. Branch retinal artery occlusion (BRAO)
15. Parafoveal (juxtafoveal) telengiectasia
What findings one will see in FFA
In proliferative diabetic retinopathy, Fundus fluorescein angiography will show new vessels & extensive ischemia of retina. New vessels will show leak of dye.
In central retinal vein occlusion & ocular ischemic syndrome fundus fluorescein angiography will extensive ischemia of retina & may show new vessels.
Central serous retinopathy
Wet age ralated macular degeneration & Choroidal neovascular membranes (CNVs)
In optic neuritis, vision suddenly drops. Fundus fluorescein angiography will show late staining of optic disc.
Risks involved in FFA
Most of the times, procedure is uneventful.
1. Nausea and vomiting may occur. This is seen in approximately 10% cases.
2. Rarely anaphylaxis leading to rash, bronchospasm, etc may occur
3. Very rarely cardiac and respiratory arrest may occur. This is seen in approximately <0.01% (less than 1 in 10000 cases).
FFA needs a specialized fundus camera ( digital) which is costly. So investigation is also costly. Test takes 8-10 minutes. Its an OPD procedure
Avoid FFA in cases with severe kidney disease as dye is excreted by the kidneys. Its better avoid FFA in cases with allergy to dye. A sensitivity test is done to check allergy to dye before full dose of dye is injected in vein.
For patients having cardiac, respiratory disease, test can be done under anaesthetist doctor's supervision.
Eye injuries, management & prevention
Top Tips to Prevent Eye Strain from Computer?
Central retinal vein occlusion-Investigations and Treatment
Hairfall :- A serious problem
Eyebrows Eye Drawing Tips
Squint in children - causes, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment
Retinopathy Of Prematurity (ROP)- Eye Disease In Premature Baby
How can we hear sounds?
Preventive measures to stop water borne diseases
Read related articles:
Fundus fluorescein angiography
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
Responses to "Fundus fluorescein angiography- FFA-a test to study retinal disease."
No responses found. Be the first to respond...
Notify me by email when others post comments to this article.
Do not include your name, "with regards" etc in the comment. Write detailed comment, relevant to the topic.
No HTML formatting and links to other web sites are allowed.
This is a strictly moderated site. Absolutely no spam allowed.
to fill automatically.
(Will not be published, but
to validate comment)
Type the numbers and letters shown on the left.
Multivitamin Health Benefits
Information about olanzapine
Return to Resources
Post New Resource
Post resources and
Multivitamin Health Benefits
Benefits of Avocado Oil for Skin Care
Vitamin C: 12 Benefits | Where To Find | How To Preserve Vitamin C
Beware of Medicine Expiry Dates
Health and eating tips
Neovascular glaucoma - Investigations and management
Tag posting guidelines
Subscribe to Email
Get Jobs by Email
Forum posts by Email
Articles by Email
Awards & Gifts
Last 7 Days
ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. Copyright © All Rights Reserved.