hiring content writers
to work from home
Scope of personnel management
Posted Date: 29-May-2010
This article gives you information on 'Scope of Personnel Management'.
The scope of personnel management was very much restricted before 20th century. The large scale business operations have resulted in the specialisation of all business activities. On the other hand, labour unions are also the result of growth in the size of industrial organisations. Dealing with the problems of human beings now a days requires specialised knowledge. It is not unusual to find a separate department for tackling all human problems in the organisation.
1. Procurement :-
It includes -
1. Recruitment i.e., tapping the possible portads from where prospective labour supply will come.
2. Getting information regarding prevailing wage rates and job requirements.
3. Selecting the best candidate by following a systematic selection procedure.
4. Maintaining the records of employees.
5. Introducing the new employee to the officers of the other departments such as Security Officer, Time Keeper, Cashier etc.
2. Training or Development Function :-
The training of the new employees and also of those who are being promoted is the crucial function of Personnel Department. A training programme is devised for this purpose. The training increases skills and abilities of the employees. The various aspects of training are -
1. Training to new employees instructors and supervisors.
2. Training in safety equipments and various types of policies of companies.
3. Training through improvement of education such as evening classes, films, entertainment programmes etc.
4. Encouraging employees to give suggestions.
3. Promotion, Transfer and Termination :-
The performance of the employees is evaluated for the purpose of taking some vital decisions concerning the employment. Merit rating is a systematic periodical unbiased evaluation of the performance of the employees. The functions of the Personnel Department in this regard are given here -
1. To lay down a promotion policy.
2. To formulate policies regarding transfers and terminations.
3. Analysis of voluntary separations and knowing the possible causes of such separations.
4. Compensation :-
The employees should get adequate and equitable remuneration for the work being done by them. The functions concerned with fixation of fair wages are given here -
1. To evaluate jobs and determine their worth in terms of money.
2. To collaborate with others who may formulate wage plants.
3. To assist in formulation of policies regarding pension plants, profit sharing programmes, non-monetary benefits etc.
4. To compare the wages of the enterprise with the industry and remove inconsistencies, if any.
5. Welfare Activities :-
These activities relate to physical and social well-being of the employees and include -
1. Provision of medical facilities such as first aid, dispensaries etc.
2. Suggesting ways and means by which accidents can be eliminated or minimised.
3. To provide restaurants and other facilities.
4. To apply the labour laws effectively.
5. To publish a plant magazine.
6. Collective Bargaining :-
In include -
1. To assist in the negotiations which are held with the union leaders.
2. To know the grievances of employees and handling their problems properly.
7. Miscellaneous :-
1. To advise the line managers regarding administration of personnel policies.
2. To secure coordination of all personnel activities.
3. To have an effective communication system.
4. To provide good working conditions.
Tips for how to Improve your Personality
Personality Development - Tips to improve your Personality
How to improve Skills and get Promotion - Some Tips
Self Motivation Tips
Tips to improve Listening skills
Tips How to Overcome Shyness
The Decision-making process in Management Theory
Diploma Courses for Management in Institute for Office Management (IOM) [YMCA]
Autonomy of Management
The management of solid waste
Read related articles:
Personality development tips
Financial management tips
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
Responses to "Scope of personnel management"
No responses found. Be the first to respond...
Notify me by email when others post comments to this article.
Do not include your name, "with regards" etc in the comment. Write detailed comment, relevant to the topic.
No HTML formatting and links to other web sites are allowed.
This is a strictly moderated site. Absolutely no spam allowed.
to fill automatically.
(Will not be published, but
to validate comment)
Type the numbers and letters shown on the left.
Return to Resources
Post New Resource
Post resources and
Tips for Improving Child Intelligence
Main filters in Photoshop
Tips To be loved and Beloved Husband Wife
Tag posting guidelines
Subscribe to Email
Get Jobs by Email
Forum posts by Email
Articles by Email
Awards & Gifts
Last 7 Days
Arun Kumar Hatwar
ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. Copyright © All Rights Reserved.