Computer & Technology
Thrashing - Causes of Thrashing and How to Prevent Thrashing in Operating System
Computer & Technology
We can say that when page fault ratio decreases below level, it is called thrashing. There are many causes of thrashing and there are several techniques to prevent thrashing
Meaning of Thrashing
If the process does not have number of frames it needs to support pages in active use, it will quickly page-fault. The high paging activity is called thrashing.
In other words we can say that when page fault ratio decreases below level, it is called thrashing.
Causes of Thrashing
It result in severe performance problems.
1) If CPU utilization is too low then we increase the degree of multiprogramming by introducing a new process to the system. A global page replacement algorithm is used. The CPU scheduler sees the decreasing CPU utilization and increases the degree of multiprogramming.
2) CPU utilization is plotted against the degree of multiprogramming.
3) As the degree of multiprogramming increases, CPU utilization also increases.
4) If the degree of multiprogramming is increased further, thrashing sets in and CPU utilization drops sharply.
5) So, at this point, to increase CPU utilization and to stop thrashing, we must decrease the degree of multiprogramming.
To limit the effect of thrashing
To limit the effect of thrashing we can use
local replacement algorithm
. With Local replacement algorithm, if the process starts thrashing, it cannot steal frames from another process and cause the latter to thrash as well. The problem is not entirely solved.
Thus the effective access time will increase even for the process that is not thrashing
How to prevent Thrashing
We must provide a process with as many frames as it needs. Several techniques are used.
The Working of Set Model (Strategy)
It starts by looking at how many frames a process is actually using. This defines the locality model.
It states that as a process executes, it moves from locality to locality.
is a set of pages that are actively used together.
A program is generally composed of several different localities which overlap.
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
Responses to "Thrashing - Causes of Thrashing and How to Prevent Thrashing in Operating System"
No responses found. Be the first to respond...
Notify me by email when others post comments to this article.
Do not include your name, "with regards" etc in the comment. Write detailed comment, relevant to the topic.
No HTML formatting and links to other web sites are allowed.
This is a strictly moderated site. Absolutely no spam allowed.
to fill automatically.
(Will not be published, but
to validate comment)
Type the numbers and letters shown on the left.
Subscribe to Email
Get Jobs by Email
Forum posts by Email
Articles by Email
Awards & Gifts
Last 7 Days
ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. Copyright © All Rights Reserved.