Resources » Articles/Knowledge Sharing » Syllabus
Syllabus for Engineering Electromagnetic,SEM-V,GTU
UNIT-1. Review of Vector Analysis and Vector Calculus:
Scalars & Vectors, Dot and cross products, Co-ordinate systems and conversions,
Review of line, Surface and volume integrals – Definition of curl, divergence and gradient – Meaning of Divergence theorem and Stokes' theorem
1. Coulomb's law and electrical field intensity: Coulomb's law, Field due to
different charge distributions.
2. Electric flux density, Gauss's law and divergence: Concept of electric flux
density, Gauss's law and its applications, Differential volume element,
Divergence, Maxwell's first eqn. and divergence theorem for electric flux
3. Energy and potential : Energy expanded in moving a point charge in electrical
field, Line integral, Definition of potential difference and potential, Potential field of a point charge and system of charges, Potential gradient, Dipole, Energy density in electrostatic field.
UNIT-3. Steady Magnetic Field:
Biot-Savart's law, Ampere's circuital law, Applications of this law for an infinitely long coaxial transmission line, Solenoid and toroid, Point form of Ampere's circuital law concept of flux density, Scalar and vector magnetic potential, Stoke's theorem for magnetic field, Point and integral forms of Maxwell's equations for steady electric and magnetic fields.
UNIT-4. Electric and Magnetic Fields in Materials:
1. Conductors, dielectrics and capacitance :
Definition of currents and current density, Continuity equation, Metallic
conductors and their properties, Semiconductors, Dielectric materials,
Characteristics, Boundary conditions, Capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor,
Coaxial cable and spherical capacitors.
2. Poisson's and Laplace equations:
Poisson's and Laplace equation, Uniqueness theorem, Examples of solution of
Laplace and Poisson's equations.
3. Magnetic forces, materials and inductance :
Force on a moving charge, Force on a differential current element, Force and
torque on a close circuit, magnetization and permeability, Magnetic boundary
conditions, Magnetic circuit, Self inductance and Mutual inductance.
UNIT-5. Time Varying Fields and Maxwell's Equations:
Faraday's law, Displacement current, Maxwell's equations in point and integral forms for time varying fields .
UNIT-6. Electromagnetic Waves:
The uniform plane waves:
Wave motion in free space, Perfect dielectric, Dielectric, Poynting vector, Power consideration, Propagation in good conductor, Phenomena of skin effect, Reflection of uniform plane waves, Plane waves at normal incidence, and at oblique incidence, Standing wave ratio.
1. W H.Hayt & J A Buck: "Engineering Electromagnetics" TATA McGraw-Hill, 7thEdition
2. Elements of Electromagnetics by Matthew Sadiku, 4th Edition,Oxford University Press.
3. Electromagnetics Joseph Edminister-Schaum's Outline Series, TMH.
4. Electromagnetics with applications by J.D.Krauss and Daniel Fleisch fifth edition,
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
No responses found. Be the first to respond...
Return to Article Index
Active MembersTodayLast 7 Daysmore...