hiring content writers
to work from home
Difference between said to and told
Posted Date: 02-Jul-2010
The words ' said to' and' told' are sometimes wrongly used.
I have noticed people getting confused while using the words ' said'' told ' and the phrases - said to - said that.
I would like to clarify their doubts in a very simple manner:
They have the same meaning but their usage is different.
First important point to remember: Never say 'told to'. It is wrong. Use only'told'. For example: He told to me (wrong) Say ' He told a joke to me'
2. Mary said " I have fever" The sentence is in direct speech and is quoted. When you remove the quote and change it into indirect speech say: Mary said that she had fever.Here , there is no object.That is, the person whom she has spoken to is not mentioned.
3. Mary said to John ," I have fever" Change it to- Mary told John that she had fever.
Please note; Here , there is an object who is John.Therefore we should say- said to and not said that.In indirect speech we should use- told and not told to
6. When you write in indirect speech , always use' told' - when there is an object.
7. He said that he was busy.( Here there is no object) Don't say " He told that he was busy"
8. He told Mary that he was busy. Here , there is an object- Mary. Therefore, use- told .
9. You should 'tell'or 'told " with the following: a story, a joke, a lie, time ,the truth,a secret
Examples: Please tell the truth. I told a story to my friend. Raj told a good joke. She told a lie. Mary told the time had come to go to office.
English Grammar - Verbs and Adverbs
Correct usage of Grammar in business writing
Present perfect tense
English Grammar - Climax and Anticlimax
Repetition of the word with the same meaning
See, look at, watch, hear, listen to .
Good English Pronunciation
Increase Your Vocabulary With WordWeb | How To Use Wordweb
Read related articles:
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
Responses to "Difference between said to and told"
02 Jul 2010
Thanks for pointing out the error. It happened by mistake. The rule is ' He told ...... Who? the object should be(me) the person, not the joke' After sending it , I thought about it, but before I could do it, you have corrected it.
You have very rightly pointed out about importance of learning correct grammar. Learning the basics of grammar, does wonders for people who want to improve their English.
Notify me by email when others post comments to this article.
Do not include your name, "with regards" etc in the comment. Write detailed comment, relevant to the topic.
No HTML formatting and links to other web sites are allowed.
This is a strictly moderated site. Absolutely no spam allowed.
to fill automatically.
(Will not be published, but
to validate comment)
Type the numbers and letters shown on the left.
Return to Resources
Post New Resource
Post resources and
Private tuitions for Children studying in primary school level
Educational system of India
Principle, Construction and Working of transformer
Instant paid payment systems and types of debit cards
The world needs more tolrance
Tag posting guidelines
Subscribe to Email
Get Jobs by Email
Forum posts by Email
Articles by Email
Awards & Gifts
Last 7 Days
ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. Copyright © All Rights Reserved.