Resources » Articles/Knowledge Sharing » General
How to open a savings account in SBI
SBI is the biggest bank in India. SBI savings account offers numerous facilities. This resource gives an idea how to open a savings account in SBI.
SBI or State Bank of India is the largest commercial bank of India. It has over 9000 branches all over India and they are continuously opening new branches. Other facilities include online banking, TDA, fixed deposit schemes and various others.
How to open savings account in SBI
1. Go to the customer relations section in SBI.
2. Ask for a SBI savings account opening form.
3. There are 2 parts in the form.
4. Form – 1 This includes all the details of the customer: name, address, assets and various other details. Fill all the particulars carefully and sign at the required checkboxes.
5. Form – 2 This is the form 60/61. If you are not submitting a PAN card, you are required to fill up this form. Otherwise, you can leave this empty.
6. Carefully fill up all the details given in the form.
7. Submit the completely filled form to the counter from where the form was purchased.
8. After successful filling of the form, your account will be activated. You have to deposit Rs.1000 in the account.
9. At the time of payment into the account, you will be given an SBI passbook. Depends on the branch. Sometimes, they give the passbook after a couple of days.
10. You can ask for Cheque book and ATM by filling up a one page form. (In new SBI form, it is included in the form itself).
11. You can ask for internet banking in SBI for filling a separate form.
Documents required to open savings account in SBI
Customers who want to open a new SBI savings account; have to submit the following documents along with the savings account form. The self attested copies are required to be submitted
1. PAN card(compulsory). If no PAN card, form 60/61 needs to be filled.
2. 3 passport size recent self attested photographs.
3. Passport(with same address as mentioned in the form)
These two documents suffice the photo proof and address proof. If you do not have passport or have a passport with different address, then you need the following documents:
Photo proof to open savings account in SBI (any one of the following documents):
1. Passport(with different address than mentioned in the form)
2. Driving License
3. PAN card
4. Government Identity Card
5. Election Card
Address proof to open savings account in SBI (any one of the following documents):
1. Property tax bill
2. Electricity bill
3. Telephone bill
4. Water tax bill
5. Ration card (recently, ration card is disallowed. Still some branches allow use of Ration card)
Nomination required to open savings account in SBI
Nomination means in case of death, the amount in the savings account can be accessed by the person nominated. If the nominated person is a minor, the person who will handle the amount until he becomes 18 years should also be given. Earlier, the nomination required to open savings account in SBI was optional. But recently, Government has made it mandatory for customers to put in the nominee.
SBI account holder required to open savings account in SBI
Earlier, an SBI account holder was required to open savings account in SBI. In some branches, still it is required. Name, Account number, Address and signature of the account holder are required to fill in. The details are carefully verified while opening account. So, do not forge the signature. It will be easily verified. In some branches today, an SBI account holder is not required. If all the documents are provided, that is sufficient.
SBI savings account welcome kit
Recently, to provide fast services, SBI has come up with a welcome kit. The SBI savings account welcome kit has following:
1. SBI ATM cum debit card along with secret pin
2. SBI Cheque book containing 10 cheque leaves
3. Pay-in slips
Make sure that the envelope named 'welcome kit' is sealed. Also make sure that the envelope containing your secret SBI pin is also sealed and untouched.
SBI savings account helpline number
For any queries regarding the SBI savings account, dial toll free SBI savings account helpline number:
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
|Guest Author: devidas dattaram paw 05 Feb 2014|
|I have no guarantor, but I have many proofs. Can I open saving account in SBI Bank? I work at Ratnagiri (Maharashtra).|
Return to Article Index
Active MembersTodayLast 7 Daysmore...