Resources » Articles/Knowledge Sharing » General
CE1301 IRRIGATION ENGINEERING
ANNA UNIVERSITY CHENNAI :: CHENNAI 600 025
B.E. CIVIL ENGINEERING
CE1301 IRRIGATION ENGINEERING 4 0 0 100
At the end of the semester, the student shall understand the need and mode of irrigation. The student also shall know the irrigation management practices of the past, present and future. The structures involved, the elementary hydraulic design of different structures and the concepts of maintenance shall also form part. Finally, the student shall be in a position to conceive and plan any type of irrigation project.
1. INTRODUCTION 12
Irrigation – Need and mode of irrigation – Merits and demerits of irrigation – Crop and crop seasons – consumptive use of water – Duty – Factors affecting duty – Irrigation efficiencies – Planning and Development of irrigation projects.
2. IRRIGATION METHODS 10
Canal irrigation – Lift irrigation – Tank irrigation – Flooding methods – Merits and demerits – Sprinkler irrigation – Drip irrigation.
3. DIVERSION AND IMPOUNDING STRUCTURES 14
Weirs – elementary profile of a weir – weirs on pervious foundations - Types of impounding structures - Tanks, Sluices and Weirs – Gravity dams – Earth dams – Arch dams – Spillways – Factors affecting location and type of dams – Forces on a dam – Hydraulic design of dams.
4. CANAL IRRIGATION 14
Alignment of canals – Classification of canals – Canal drops – Hydraulic design of drops – Cross drainage works – Hydraulic design of cross drainage works – Canal Head works – Canal regulators – River Training works.
5. IRRIGATION WATER MANAGEMENT 10
Need for optimisation of water use – Minimising irrigation water losses – On farm development works – Percolation ponds – Participatory irrigation management – Water users associations – Changing paradigms in water management – Performance evaluation.
TOTAL : 60
1. Asawa, G.L., “Irrigation Engineering”, New Age International Publishers
2. Sharma R.K., and Sharma T.K., “Irrigation Engineering”, S. Chand and company, New Delhi
3. Gupta, B.L, & Amir Gupta, “Irrigation Engineering”, Satya Praheshan, New Delhi
1. Dilip Kumar Majumdar, “Irrigation Water Management (Principles & Practices)”, Prentice
Hall of India (P), Ltd.
2. Basak, N.N, “Irrigation Engineering”, Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Co.
3. Garg, S.K., “Irrigation Engineering”
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
No responses found. Be the first to respond...