There are three main streams from which you can choose subjects for class 11th after exams of class X. These are Science, Commerce and Arts. Whichever the stream is, students have to choose any five subjects. Sometimes, the students select one additional subject in order to score higher percentage.
Science stream after Class 10th (Class X)
Students opting for science stream have to choose English, Physics and Chemistry as compulsory subjects. Other than this, you have the option to choose Biology or Maths with a vocational subject. You can also choose Biology and Maths without any vocational subject. The students who want to do engineering after class 10th should choose Maths and those who want to opt for medical after Class 10th should choose Biology. If any student want to course like biotechnology or nanotechnology should select the combination of Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Biology.
• Some students choose Economic along with Science. They feel that this would be helpful when they will study management after Engineering. But this does not happen because in Class 12th, you study much basics of Economics which is not must useful during Management. However, if you select both Maths and Economics then it's a good combination.
• Students of Science stream could enter into Commerce and Arts other than Science. But if they will enter into Commerce stream then they need to score more marks than Commerce students.
Commerce stream after Class 10th (Class X)
Students entering into Commerce stream have to select Accounts, Business Studies, English and Economics. Other than this, you can choose Maths. But if you don't want to opt for Maths, then you choose any subject out of sociology or physiology.
• Most of the students don't opt Commerce and Maths simultaneously. This is wrong. Actually, Maths is the base of Commerce. Thus the students who are selecting Commerce stream in Class 11th must opt Maths. Students who are weak in Maths should avoid Commerce also.
• Maths is also compulsory if you want to take admission in B.Com (Hons.).
Humanities (Arts) after Class 10th (Class X)
It has English as compulsory subject and a second language like French, Sanskrit or Hindi. Optional subject include Political Science, Sociology, Geography, Physiology, Economics, History, etc.
Some important factors while selecting subjects after Class 10th (Class X) or Class 12th (Class XII)
• While selecting subject for any class, remember the rule: interest in subject and performance of student in that subject. Choose the subject in which you have interest. Don't choose a subject just to follow your friends or relatives.
• If you are much willing in continuing your studies or to make your career in the future in a subject, then there is no fun in selecting that subject.
• While selecting a combination of subjects, consider the fact that which opportunities you will get by adopting this combination. Also consider that which opportunities you will lose by adopting this combination. Both factors are equally important to consider.
• Most of the students of Class X are unable to decide that what they have to do in future. Thus it is better to choose five options of your choice and then take such combinations by which these five options don't get any hindrance.
Article by Nidhi
Nidhi is a freelance content writer with 5+ years experience. She has great passion to write on valuable topics so as to provide accurate information to her readers. She is also keen to provide employment to all Indians and so posts various job openings too in this website.
Follow Nidhi or read 330 articles authored by Nidhi
|Author: Dr. Sukhdev Roy Shukla 22 Apr 2011 Member Level: Gold Points : 1|
|Yes, Nidhi. It is quite informative. In fact every student faces this dilemma after appearing in exam for class X. Based on the guidance he gets from his parents, teachers, senior students and sometimes peer group even, some are resolute to join a particular stream but some are driven by their performance in the exam. School counsellors can play a great role in helping the students to decide. Parents wishes alone should not prevail over abilities and interests of the students. |
|Guest Author: Nandini 21 Jul 2014|
|Is msca course easy??|
|Guest Author: vivi 14 Apr 2015|
|my chemistry is very weak so should I choose pcm in 11th?|
|Guest Author: Rehana 07 Jun 2015|
|Which subject I should choose to become a scientist? I want to get inspiration from biology to create a new technological device that has been not created. FOR example:- Camera which is based on the principle of Human eye.So suggest me a subject to take in 11th class and also suggest me a subject for after 12th that satisfies the above explanation? Also tell me the foreign institutions which offer both biology and mathematics programed together?|