Resources » Articles/Knowledge Sharing » Health
Classification and benefits of some medicinal plants
Trees and plants are very helpful for food, house, and clothes; apart from this, these are very helpful for medicinal uses. There is no such tree/plant in the world, which are not having medicinal qualities. Plant’s root, leaf, flower, fruit, seed, skin, & stem are very helpful for medicinal uses. 85 percentage of Ayurvedic medicinal components were collected from forests and jungles. Some of the important medicinal plants are Amla, Ashwagandha, Plectranthus barbatus, Safed Musli, & Sarpagandha.
1. Amla (Emblica Officinalis)
Botanical Name: Emblica Officinalis
Age: 40-50 yr
Flower: Greenish Yellow
Fruit: Round shaped; green or yellowish Green; three seeds in each fruit.
Leaf: Small & straight.
- Rich with Vitamin 'C' (60-70%), rest with Iron, Calcium, Phosphorus, Tannin, Fat etc.
- Amla cures Diabetes, Gastric, Blindness, Heart disorder, Skin disease, Stomachache, etc.
- Used for Diarrhea, Indigestion, Cold, Infection, Jaundice, etc.
- Used as pickles, drinks and other eatables.
2. Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera)
Botanical Name: Withania Somnifera
Height: four to five feet
Flower: Greenish Yellow
Fruit: Round shaped, Yellowish Green, covered with leaf brackets
- There are 13 types of Alkaloid present in its root. Its amount is 0.13 to 0.31%.
- Presence of Withananine and Somniferinine alkaloids makes this very costly medicine.
- Other than there are many types of steroids and lactones present in the root and leaf.
- It cures mental disorder, impotency, and acidity
- Preventive for joint pain, swelling, and stomach infection
- Controls high blood pressure
- Used in sexual medicines
- Good for female; especially before and after pregnancy
- Cures white discharge and body-pain.
- Keeps healthy, beauty and gives energy to the body.
3. Plectranthus barbatus (Coleus Forskohlii)
Botanical name: Coleus forskohlii
Height: Nearly 2 – 2.5 feet
Root: Thick & small as Radish
Stem: Round and Plain
Leaf: Thick & Egg shaped
Flower: Blue & Violet, as Tulsi flowers
- Root and leaf are very therapeutic.
- Forskolin is the main medicinal standpoint of this.
- Leaf juice helps to cure cough, cold and fever in babies.
- Cures heart diseases, chest pain, etc.
- Used as medicine for urine diseases, genial diseases, eye disease, bronchitis etc.
- Root is used for kidney stone, cancer etc.
4. Safed Musli (Chlorophytum Borivilianum)
Botanical name: Chlorophytum Borivilianum
Leaf: Light yellow, 1.5' long and 1/2"wide
Stem: comprises with root; not visible
- Contains nearly 39-42 % alkaloids, 0.5% protein, 2-4 % saponin, 40-45 % polysaccaroids
- Calcium and salt is also present in it
- Controls high blood pressure, joint pain, diabetes, impotency, etc
- Cures Vata, Pita, female diseases, heart diseases etc.
5. Sarpagandha (Rauwolfia Serpentina)
Botanical name: Rauwolfia Serpentina
Height: Three feet
Flower: White & Rosy colored
Fruit: Small & round shaped
- The root is very helpful. There are 30 types of alkaloids present in skin of its root. The average alkaloid present in its root is 0.3 to 3.
- Reserpine alkaloid helps for high blood pressure.
- Other alkaloids present in it are roulfinine, rescinnamine, serptinine, yohimbine, ajmaline, etc.
- Helpful for high blood pressure and mental disorder
- Cures cough and Vata
- Useful against bites of poisonous insects/serpents.
- Reliefs from pain and burning.
Read related articles: Benefits of Medicinal Plants Medicinal Plants
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
|Guest Author: Hari Prasad 23 Aug 2013|
|Ayurvedic products are not providing so effective results in comparison to modern approved medicines. Please assure me.|
Active MembersTodayLast 7 Daysmore...