Resources » Articles/Knowledge Sharing » Health
Dysentery or Loose motions: causes, symptoms and remedies
Dysentery, loose motions, or diarrhea is very common in all over the world, as most of the child dies due to this, not due to other ailments. Diarrhea can be identified if a patient vomits with loose motions. Bloody watery stool defined as E. coli infection or bloody diarrhea. This article is about the causes, symptoms and remedies to loose-motions or diarrhea.
The Loose motions crisis
Loose motions or dysentery mostly seen in under-developing countries. This is because of the negligence and lack of knowledge in women and mothers. In every 6 seconds of interval, one child goes to death in this world, due to only loose motions or diarrhea. In addition, most of the children die in the age group 1 to 5. The most embarrassing matter is, this disease is very easy to curable with little effort and expense, however due to lack of education and training to women, it expands.
Causes to Loose motions:
Drinking raw milk or unpasteurized milk, impure water, lack of nutritious food, infectious bacteria causes to loose motions normally.
- Bacteria, fungus, viruses are not visible by normal eye. They are mostly present in dust, contaminated water and dirty place. If it comes across directly or indirectly to the diet, affects the person. Contagious food, finger, flies, water, dusts are the factors causes to loose motion. Unclean or infected milk bottle, bottle cap, dirty water, unclean hand and prepared food are the reasons to cause loose motion to children.
- Rather than intestinal infection, there are other methods responsible for loose motions are pneumonia, bronchitis, bronchiolitis, infective urine, ear, meningitis etc.
- Excess intake of carbohydrate and fat in child's diet also causes to indigestion and loose motion.
- Some children have allergy with cow milk, which may cause to loose motion. Some fruits are also not appropriate for children that can cause to loose motion.
- Due to lack of lactose in intestine, child could not effort to digest the mother milk or cow milk, which also causes to loose motion. This happens in case of malnutrition and infection in child.
- At the time of teeth rising or teething in children, loose motion may cause. Most of the mothers and parents avoid this as saying a common issue, but this happens due to the intake of outer stuffs in the mouth, as the child feels sensation in the teething areas.
Types of dysentery or loose motion:
- Types as per the symptom
- Rapid loose motions – this type of motions occurs within 24-25 hours, very hazardous to health. The excess presence or growth of E. coli in blood causes to this.
- Slow loose motions – the rate of motions is for 5-7 days, it can be cured by better treatment.
- Long-term loose motions – these kind of loose motions occur for about one month or more than that.
- Types as per the swift
- Common loose motions – in this type dysentery, motions occurs 5-7 times a day. There was no fever, dryness, and other symptoms with this.
- Medium loose motions – in this type dysentery, motions occurs 8-10 times a day. With this, little fever, stomachache, and emptiness symptoms seen mostly. Little amount of dryness also seem with this.
- Severe loose motions – occurs 15-20 times a day. Excessive fever, dryness appears in the patient. Palms and foots are turn out to be cold. The situation of patient will be very critical, may be towards death if improper treatment carried out.
Due to polluted climate, environment in village and basti (slum areas) in cities, loose motions occurs mostly. Children from social and economical poor background suffer to this disease excessively. Children nourished animal milks instead of mother milk also basis to loose motions. The season for loose motions in our country is from April to September.
Symptoms of Loose motions:
Common loose motions occur 5-7 times a day. The common symptoms are lack of interest towards eating, vomiting occurs sometime, stomachache or stomach swelling occurs, and but there is normal urine.
Medium loose motions occur 10-15 times a day. The amount of stool and watery in stool are more here. Vomiting also occurs with motions, fever also be there. Stomachache is more in this case. Extraction of gas occurs. Dryness also seems at this stage. Lack of interest towards eating or drinking, however more water should give to the child.
Severe loose motions occur more than 15-20 times a day. Due to deficiency of water or dehydration, child becomes very weak; vomiting and fever seems with excessive stomach pain. The amount of urine lessens in this stage. Nature of stool will be very watery in this stage. Temperature and veins are very high and fast.
Intricacy of loose motions
- Dehydration and dryness: Due to excess motions and vomiting, excessive amount of water and salt reduces from the body. However, child do not wants to drink water through mouth. Due to infection and increasing temperature, water eliminates in the form of sweat.
- Symptoms of dehydration:
- Dryness in lip and tongue
- Less urine
- Vibration reduces in head among child below one and half years
Excessive dysentery or loose motions cause to lessen in blood and nutrition.
Major points to observe in the patients:
- The number of times of motions within 24 hours
- How is the stool? Watery, bloody, mix-up blood and water, thickness etc. should observe.
- Vomiting occurs with motions, or not?
- Is there any stomach pain?
- Is there any thirstiness?
- Is there dryness in lip and tongue? Oily or sweating from the skin, appears?
- Deepness of eye is normal or excess.
- Is there any change or increase in temperature?
- Is there any change of voice?
- Speediness and slowness of veins must be watchable.
- Is there any reduce of urine, slowly or totally stopped?
- How is the respiratory system, normal or slow? Is it fast and painful to the patient?
- How is the patient, dull or motionless?
Not all the symptoms may be seen in-patient at a time. However, if found some symptoms in the patient, then must be treated very carefully without haphazardly.
Duties and responsible of mothers for their child:
- Control or stop immediately the diet pattern of child, which commonly used to feed. Give more banana, fat less milk, yogurt, and boiled potato to the child.
- Do not stop breast-feeding. However, if child habituate with cow milk, then add half amount of water and sugar, and feed for 3 days. After three day, no need to mix water.
- If any indigestion occurs, stop feeding milk immediately; and give lactose free milk to the child.
- Try to give more liquid diet, such as coconut water, light boiled-rice water, lemon juice, buttermilk, barley etc.
- If vomiting occurs, then also do not stop giving liquid diets. However, in every 10 min feed through teaspoon.
Remedies to Dysentery:
The prior steps are to control dehydration and dryness by feeding liquids and fluid diets. In case of loose motions and vomiting feed water mixed with sodium, potassium chloride and bicarbonate. World Health Organization WHO promotes ORS Oral Rehydration Solution, which is commonly available in every medical, shop and medicine stores. One packet of ORS should boil in one liter of water, then after cooling feed it to the patient. 50-100 ml of ORS water for less than 2-year child and 200 ml of ORS water for more than 2-year child, in case of once loose motions. ORS water can be prepared at home, by boiling 1 tablespoon of salt, 4 tablespoon of sugar in a liter of water. Lemon juice can be added into that.
Diet for child patients: 50 gm of rice-powder, 1 tablespoon of salt boil in 1 liter of water. Make a fluid diet. Lemon juice may be added in that. Feed the child very little amount in every 2-3 hours of interval.
Preventive methods to control loose motions:
- Mother milk is best for a child. Until the milk stops to secrete, breast-feeding should continue.
- After 6 months of age to child, a little boiled rice, lactose, cereals, should nourished.
- Loose motions or dysentery caused by many reasons; the first reason is infection. This occurs due to lack of sanitation.
- Before going to eat, first wash your hands and mouth with soap.
- Cover the food or eatables, to secure from flies and insecticides.
- Try to eat fresh or hot food. Drink pure and fresh water.
- Drink boiled water in rainy season.
- Cut the nails of hand regularly.
- Do not eat half-boiled, stale or decayed food, cold foods, etc.
Read related articles: Diarrhoea Loose Motion Dysentery Remedy
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
|Guest Author: Badrinath S 07 Oct 2012|
|My Son aged 2 yrs is having dysentery since last 10 days and doctors tonic / medicine not been able to cure till date. He is active but 10 to 15 times a day, DYSENTERY very watery. His diet is mainly dairy milk, less rice he eats.|
Pls suggets for the cure.
Active MembersTodayLast 7 Daysmore...