Plastic Waste used for Road constructions in Bangalore
Two biggest problems in India today are the spoiled roads and the overflowing plastic waste. We all know how plastic waste creates problem to the environment. The waste plastic is definitely a great worry for our country as well as the whole world. One-fourth of the waste generated in Bangalore city comprises of only plastic.
If the plastic is not utilized properly, we need to dump it as a waste. It is assumed that there is a generation of more than 10,000 tons of waste plastic in India every day. The plastic waste is recycled in India in an unorganized way. Only 60% of the plastic waste collected in recycled and converted to new consumer products while the remaining 40% of the plastic waste is left un utilised. This un utilised plastic does not degenerate or bio-degrade but will remain as it is for lakhs of years. So it would be definitely a problem for the environment.
Mr. Ahmed Khan, Managing Director of KK Plastic Waste Management has discovered a solution to utilise the waste plastic for the construction of roads. His company developed a technology which turns the plastic waste into a poly blend which can be used in laying of roads. They need at least two tonnes of plastic for every two kilometers of road. The cost for construction of the road is slightly high but it would be compensated by the durability and echo friendly properties.
They have built more than 1,200 kilo meters of road using more than 3,500 tons of plastic waste mostly in Bangalore city. By Mixing plastic with asphalt, we get a compound called polymerized bitumen. When this bitumen is used for roads, it withstands monsoons and everyday wear and tear of the roads in a better way than traditional roads. Normally our roads have a life of 3 to 4 years under normal conditions, but the plastic roads have a life of more than 6 years.
When monsoon rains flooded Mumbai city in 2005, plastic bags were the root cause for the clogging the under ground drainage system and intensifying the effects of floods. One more example of how plastic is dangerous happened in Uttar Pradesh in year 2000. 3000 cows died in UP in the year 2000. It was found after investigation that this was due to plastic bags in their stomachs.
These plastic bags were eaten by those cows as they were grazing for grass at dump sites. Several state governments have banned plastic now.
The waste plastic is normally collected by garbage collectors. They collect the plastic waste from homes and offices and sell it to middlemen who sell it to recycling companies. An average garbage collector gets only Rs.5 per kilogram. But Mr. Khan pays Rs.8 to Rs.12 per kilogram for the plastic waste.
Nearly 35 tons of plastic waste is generated in Bangalore city alone each day and Mr. Khan is using 4 to 5 tons daily for the roads.
So let us hope that in future plasic waste will be utilized fully and there will not be any plastic waste left un utilized and let us look at plastic as a raw material rather than a waste.
Let us see that the environment in future will be fully plastic free. We cannot avoid using plastic but let us make an attempt to use the plastic intelligently. If you want to help protect environment and want to have a plastic free world, you can help by providing details of plastic waste to Mr. Khan. The contact details of KK Plastic Waste Management Pvt., Ltd, is given below.
KK Plastic Waste Management Pvt. Ltd,
No. 50, 1st Floor, Opp. Post Office,
Yelachenahalli, Kanakapura Road
Bangalore - 78
Phone- 91 80 2666 1056/ 2666 1513
Mobile- 98450 78600/ 9880045811
E- mail- firstname.lastname@example.org
|Author: Ramachandran Pattabiraman 02 Oct 2011||Member Level: Gold Points : 1|
|The similar effort of laying road with the use of plastic waste was tried and got successful in the area of Nungambakkam of Chennai before 5 to 6 years but the reason is unknown what curbs in continuing the system as it kept silent - but still the road is good.|
|Author: K Mohan 08 Dec 2013||Member Level: Platinum Points : 4|
|This is the good news for the road users that used plastic items will now be recycled to provide as the raw material to lay roads in big cities. I think the life of the road will be more than the concrete roads. The the cost of laying such roads seems to be high in initial stages, given the wear and tear and then maintenance of conventional road quality, the plastic method is really encouraging. It seems big metros, including Hyderabad are going to test this new method of laying roads for longer life.Let us hope path hole free roads in near future.|