Let's face it. Even with a brilliant academic record, getting a job after graduation is tough. Other than wearing down your footwear on the job-hunt beat, what is the next best thing to do? Try the AMCAT!
Do I hear you yell: "What?! No way am I appearing for another entrance exam!" Calm down. I am not talking of another entrance exam. This is another 'CAT' altogether & not another sibling of the well-known Common Admission Test (CAT). AMCAT is different. It is a unique test for assessing your level of employability.
Does this sound like some jargon? Well, read on to understand it in simpler words...
Top 10 things you should know about AMCAT employability test
Here's a list of all the features of AMCAT:
Meaning of AMCAT The acronym AMCAT stands for Aspiring Minds' Computer Adaptive Assessment. So if you want to know what is AMCAT here's the answer: It is an aptitude-cum-personality-cum-skills test, the purpose being to test how to fit a job to your profile & skills.
Format and pattern of AMCAT The AMCAT test, as mentioned earlier, incorporates 3 dimensions: (i) Aptitude; (ii) Personality; (iii) Skills. Every candidate who sits for AMCAT must appear for 4 compulsory modules & 1 or more skills-based optional modules.
I The AMCAT compulsory modules are:
- English Comprehension: it tests you ability to comprehend written text & your ability to communicate through a written document.
- Quantitative Ability and Reasoning: There are 2 types which test quantitative skills – (i) the technical type will be an assessment of basic numerical skills + advanced aspects such as probability & logarithm (this is for jobs related to the engineering & analytical sector); (ii) the non- technical type will be an assessment of basic numerical skills + how good you are in applying these to the actual world (such as situations of time & speed or profit & loss).
- Logical Ability: it tests your ability to interpret things in an objective manner & also your analytical abilities of a statement.
II The AMCAT optional modules are:
- Computer Programming Principles & Application: it tests your understanding of software programming, both basic & advanced concepts.
- Electronics & Semiconductor: it is an assessment of your understanding of digital design, analog electronics, etc. & is suitable for those seeking job opportunities in electronics companies.
- Computer Fundamentals: it assesses your knowledge on the basics of computer work, such creating presentations, drawing up Excel spreadsheets, etc.
- IT Infrastructure (BETA): This is suitable for those looking for a job in the IT industry. It incorporates questions related to networking, basics of Unix, basics of Linux, the basics of hardware installation, email & internet setup, etc.
- Finance: it tests your understanding of basic economics concepts + financial products & markets, such as mutual funs, loans, credit cards, etc.
If you would like to check know the AMCAT syllabus and check out the AMCAT exam pattern & sample question papers, you will need to register for AMCAT at their site first (see the registration process in point no.10 below).
Adaptive feature of AMCAT
You have probably given exams for a government job or for a bank job, where the questions are a mixed bunch of difficult & easy ones + you get negative marks for a wrong answer. That negative marking is probably what makes the difference between getting a job & endlessly browsing through classifieds for a job. The good news is that AMCAT has no negative marking system. Cool! It is adaptive: if you answer Q.1. correctly, you will get a slightly more difficult Q.2.; but if you answer Q.1. wrong then Q.2. will be a bit easier. The benefit of this unique feature is that your abilities are pretty accurately tested in a particular subject & your final score will depend on the level of questions which you attempted correctly.
Eligibility criteria for AMCAT AMCAT is offered for: (i) Engineering students; (ii) MBA students; (c) Arts & Science Graduates. There are 3 basic criteria:
(1) You can appear for AMCAT if you are currently enrolled in a degree program or have passed a degree program. So whether you are a fresher with zero to two years experience, a pre-final year student or a final year student, you can give the AMCAT test.
(2) If you have appeared earlier for AMCAT, then you can sit for the test again only 3 months after your last attempt.
(3) After your first attempt, you are allowed to appear for AMCAT only 3 times maximum in a calendar year post your first attempt.
AMCAT Fees & Payment Procedure While registering at the AMCAT site is free, to appear for the AMCAT you have to pay Rs.425/-. If you appear for the AMCAT again, you will need to pay the full fees again.
Mode of payment:
- Pay online with a credit card or a debit card or via Net Banking. You can even can use a family member's or relative's or friend's credit card or debit card or online banking account.
- Pay by Demand Draft:
(a) Log into the AMCAT website with your Username & Password;
(b) Click on Schedule a Test;
(c) Choose your city, the test center, date & Slot;
(d) Click on Proceed;
(e) Select 'Demand Draft' as the payment option;
(f) Fill in the requisite personal details;
(g) Click on 'Generate Pay slip';
(h) Send the Pay Slip & the Demand Draft to AMCAT. Make sure that you enter your name & Order ID on the back of the Demand Draft;
(i) On receiving your demand draft, AMCAT will send you a mail. Then 1 test will be credited in your account;
(j) Once the test is credited, you simply have to schedule the test & pay by using the 'Use the Test Credit' option.
When you appear for AMCAT, you will be issued a 16-digit unique AMCAT ID number. You must keep this AMCAT ID with you for future reference as you will need it for checking your test scores as well as for job offers. You will also need it at the interview for a job opening.
AMCAT schedule dates & test centers You can schedule the AMCAT test yourself once your payment has been received by AMCAT. The list of the test centers will also be available online & you can select the one in your city or the one nearest to you. Preferably, you should first check if you college has scheduled any AMCAT test and appear for it on the college campus itself.
If it so happens that you are keen on giving the AMCAT test but find that neither is your college organizing the test nor is there any test center near to your place of residence. In that case, just send an email (see contact details at end of this article) with all the requisite details (name, degree, stream and institute) along with your address. AMCAT will then contact you as soon as the test is scheduled in an area close to you.
Important Note: the AMCAT test cannot be taken online from your home.
AMCAT scores As such, there is no such word as "good" for your AMCAT score. This is because the scores which are considered high will differ from one company to another. Similarly, there is no such thing as a "right" score to get a job. Each company will have its own specific qualification & eligibility over & above the AMCAT score.
AMCAT score validity The AMCAT score you obtain is valid for a period of 3 years. In case you appear for AMCAT multiple times (within the maximum limits allowable as mentioned above), the company which is conducting recruitments will decide on which of the scores should be considered. So it could be your first score or your latest score or even possibly the average of all your scores. What's more, you AMCAT score is valid for all those companies which are recruiting on the basis of AMCAT. If you are in doubt about the validity of your score at any time, you simply need to check it out at the AMCAT website.
Job opportunities through AMCAT Aspiring Minds, which conducts AMCAT, has a corporate team which, together with its clients, shortlists candidates appropriate to a job profile. If your scores & profile fits in with an available job & the company is conducting a job interview, then you will be contacted by AMCAT via email and SMS. You will need to daily check your email (don't forget to check the spam folder!). It is equally essential to update your profile at your AMCAT account, such as further educational qualifications, training stints, internship during summer vacations, research work, etc.
Note: Once you appear for AMCAT, Aspiring Minds will try to get you job opportunities for 1 ½ years.
How to register for AMCAT employability test in India
- Register for free at the AMCAT website (see contact information below)
- Log into the AMCAT website with your Username & Password
- Click on Schedule a Test
- Choose your city, the test center and the date
- After you click on proceed, choose your payment option
- Fill in all the required information about yourself
- Follow further steps mentioned.
Voila! You are now ready to appear for AMCAT...and perhaps land a job too in double quick time.
All the best!
Contact information for AMCAT employability test
1. Corporate Head Quarters
323 Udyog Vihar, Phase 2
Gurgaon - 122016
Ph: Voice (Board): 0124 – 414 8777 // Fax: 0124 – 414 8027
2. Bangalore Office Address
Aspiring Minds Assessment Pvt Ltd
# 84 Koramangala Industrial Layout
5th Block, 3rd Cross, Koramangala
(near Jyoti College)
Bangalore – 560095
|Article by Vandana|
Vandana is based in India with over 15 years experience as a freelance writer & holding the prestigious post of Managing Editor at the reputed portal IndiaStudyChannel.com (ISC). Writing, no doubt, is her primary passion! Having learned the art of blogging from ISC, Vandana is enjoying the thrills of blogging, taking pleasure in sharing information & getting good pageviews at her various blogs.
Follow Vandana or read 896 articles authored by Vandana
|Author: Sukhdev Singh 29 Nov 2011 Member Level: Diamond Points : 1|
|Interesting and informative article on India's well known Employability Test called AMCAT. The prospective job seekers are advised to go through the article and appear for the test.|
|Guest Author: chandini 27 Oct 2013|
|I would like to know more deatils: when is the AMCAT test? Is the AMCAT exam conducted every month?|
|Author: Vandana 27 Oct 2013 Member Level: Platinum Points : 4|
Thanks for visiting IndiaStudyChannel.com and reading my article on AMCAT.
The AMCAT tests are conducted regularly, sometimes every month and even sometimes more than once in a month. If I am not mistaken, the tests are usually held on a Sunday so that both students and working people can appear for it.
To know the schedule of AMCAT tests, you need to check out the dates on the official AMCAT website. They provide the dates of the forthcoming tests well in advance & you can select your city where you wish to appear for the test. One AMCAT test was scheduled yesterday. The next one is scheduled for 3rd November 2013.
|Guest Author: devank 23 Sep 2014|
|I got AMCAT percentile score as per following,|
I am 2014 ECE passout..
Computer Programming 62
Logical Ability 84
Telecommunication Engineering 100
Quantitative Ability 100
can expect calls from companies?
|Guest Author: sashi 30 Sep 2014|
|I have 50% marks in 10th standard, 61% in 10+2 and 65% in engineering in electronics. So, can I get a job through AMCAT test?|
|Guest Author: Samiksha Yadav 16 Oct 2014|
|My AMCAT score is|
Computer Programming 88
Computer Science 93
can I expect calls from companies by this score?
|Guest Author: Anurag Bharti 10 Dec 2014|
|my AMCAT score is as follows:|
English - 69%
QA - 48%
Logical Ability - 74 %
Telecommunications - 99%
Can I expect interview calls?
|Author: Vandana 11 Dec 2014 Member Level: Platinum Points : 2|
|Readers who have appeared for AMCAT can get feedback about their employability prospects from the AMCAT officials themselves. Ultimately, it depends on each company's individual eligibility criteria too.|
|Guest Author: Pooja 20 Jun 2015|
|I have 65% in 10th, 55% in 12th and 74% in engineering. So can I get a job from AMCAT test as I am passed out of 2013 batch?|