Resources » Articles/Knowledge Sharing » General
Are daughters found lagging behind the sons?
Why the daughters are not bestowed upon equal rights of living by their parents. These days they are proving an asset for their parents more than the sons are turning hopeless for them when parents grow older. All the girls these days need is an open sky. Just provide them this to see how high they soar up in the skies. This article dwells into this burning issue hanging fire over the heads of our present day society.
But alas! There are crores of such daughters who are uneducated and poor which cannot do a thing even if they have the latent capacity of doing so. They are compelled to become the victim bearing the brunt of the irony of a female birth and the differential approach adopted towards them.
Some bitter truths regarding daughters
- Even to this day, people treat their daughters as alien's property and son as the stick of their old ages. While the facts state otherwise these days which tells stories regarding numerous of aggrieved parents being tormented in their old ages at the hands of their sons and the daughter in-laws.
- Care is not taken for the health and nutrition of their daughters. If there are eggs in the house kept, that is meant to be eaten by the ladla son of the house not for the daughters. What will she do to eat eggs? Useless waste of nutrients on them, eh! This attitude leads to their malnutrition in thrice the measures compared to the son's.
- Daughters of a poor home often are stopped attending to school and engaged in the domestic chores. The chasm of the literacy rate between the boys and girls proves this truth. Whereas this literacy rate among males is 75 %, this is a mere 51 % among the women. (Data taken from 2001 census)
- Female foeticide in the womb is rampant. According to one UN report, around over 97 thousand females become victims to foeticides. And this rate is alarmingly jumping up in states like Haryana, Punjab, Delhi, Gujarat etc. there are 865 girls over the 1oo boys in the national capital, Delhi.
- Talking of physical exploitation, 50 % of its victims are the girls below15 years of age to the extents that they are not safe in schools even.
- The chief reason of the deaths among women is triggered by their early marriages in a little age.
- According to the 'Indian National Crime Bureau report', there were 6787 dowry deaths reported in 2005 alone.
Pandit Nehru had one said that by seeing the conditions of the women of a country, the real position of the country could well be measured. No mat what rapid strides we make in the fields of science, technology, economy and sports, our all these so called progress is incomplete unless the education and security of our females are not ensured.
It's quite imperative to educate girls and make them self reliant. Their career and their dreams and aspirations are to be attached importance to. The Delhi Government has launched an effective scheme in this direction named as 'Laadly Scheme'. The daughters benefiting from this scheme will gain self respect and a one time payment of a lack of rupees at the age of 18 years.
The Ladli Project
The scheme of "Ladly project" has been drawn for those nascent children of families living in Delhi whose annual income is below 1 lack of rupees. This scheme is already in force since January 2008. The required financial provisions for this have been sanctioned.
The aim of this 'Ladly Scheme' is to boost up the self respect and social standard of the girls, ensuring adequate education and security and ending the differential treatments meted out to the girls. The salient features regarding being benefitted from the scheme is as follows:-
- Within a month of the birth of the girl child in a family, information has to be given to the newly formed child development department created by the Delhi government where an account will be opened in the name of the baby child.
- The government in the beginning will deposit an amount of rupees 10000 rupees into the account
- Later on, the government will also deposit 5-5 thousand each at the different when the baby child would be admitted in the 1st standard, 6th standard, 9nth standard and 12th standard.
- After the completion of 18 years, the daughter of the family would be given 1 lack of rupees by the bank which she can utilise in pursuing further studies or opening a business.
- To be eligible to get the benefits from this scheme, the child should be born in Delhi after January, 2008 or later than this.
- The applicant should be a citizen at least for three years past and his income must not exceed 1 lack rupees per month.
It is expected that this scheme, intended at the daughter empowerment would succeed immensely in the real sense of the term and the differential treatments meted out to the girls in matter of school education would be eradicated, the death rate among the women would lower down and the closed up doors for the all round growth and development for women would open up.
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
No responses found. Be the first to respond...
Return to Article Index
Active MembersTodayLast 7 Daysmore...