Resources » Articles/Knowledge Sharing » Education
Best preparation methods and tips to score well in ICSE Board's examinations
In this article, I have a given a clear idea about the various aspects of ICSE Board's examinations whose strategy of preparation is quite different from all other Boards exams. In this article, I gave what special attention the students they have to take care of for preparing these examinations. In this resource I also gave what methods the students they have to adopt to score well and what care they have to take on the day of examination.
A large section of students who attend one of the Boards exams at tenth standard level in India is ICSE Board's exams. One of the toughest exams faced by the students at tenth standard level in India is ICSE stream Board's exam. When we compare to any other Boards exams ICSE Boards exams are totally different the way the questions they put to the students in these exams. To attempt these exams students need special attention, special care and the students have to adopt to special methods to prepare for these exams.
Why students need special attention or care in preparing themselves for these exams?
First of all students have to realize why they need special care in preparing themselves for ICSE Board's exam. The following points will help the students to realize the true facts behind this argument and will help them to guide to do well in these exams as well as to reach their aim easily.
1. ICSE stream students have to prepare themselves to write 11 exam papers compared to other Boards exams and surely it put additional burden on the students to prepare themselves for these exams.
2. Students to do well in ICSE exams,clear understanding of basic concepts of every topic and thorough reading of text book are very essential. Unlike other boards exams, questions in these exams are not asked in a direct way or from the questions given at the end of topics of the text books. Questions asked in these exams will test the students ability of understanding, their thinking power, their application approach to concepts, how well they gather inference for the questions asked etc. The questioning mode in these exams will assess the students caliber rather than their memory power.
3. Language subjects will be given more importance in ICSE stream syllabus. Questions set in language subject exams will test the foundation strength of the Vocabulary and Grammar of students from basic level to tenth class standard level. Those students who are good from the lower classes level to ICSE exam level will do well in these exams. Even in language subjects of ICSE stream exams, questions asked will be of thinking and application type only.
4. The evaluation system of ICSE Board's exams is very strict and tough when compared to any other boards exams. In other boards exams whatever the student write answer for a question, some marks will be given for attempting the question or for the partially correct answer. But in ICSE exam evaluation, examiners don't see the quantity of matter the student write as answer for the question and award marks only for the key words which form answer for the question.
5. A student has to get distinction in these exams has to be perfect in every topic of every subject and has to present answers to the questions with clear mind.
How a good student will prepare well for these exams?
'There are no short cut or easy methods for success' is an old proverb is true even in the case of preparation for these exams and one has to work hard to perform well in these exams.
1. Student has to listen carefully the topics explained by the teacher in the classroom. Student has to take running notes noting important points while the teacher is explaining the lesson. Whenever the student gets a doubt has to clear them off immediately from the teacher. This is an important aspect the student has to follow who is taking ICSE stream of exams.
2. Student has to put a lot of good effort to learn and perfect themselves in the topics which are completed in the class in their study time at home or hostel. A thorough reading of the topic with good understanding is very essential and one should not accumulate or postpone topics to study just before the time of exams. This type of cramming of topics just before the time of exams would not yield much success with ICSE stream of exams.
3. Usually in ICSE stream following schools will conduct exams at week ends in small units of every subject in an alternative manner i.e. two subjects will be tested every week. So one wish to do well in the final Board's exam have to do well in these small unit exams and which will form a strong foundation for their success in the final exam. If the student is able to score well in these small units indicate that they are understanding the topics well and surely they will do very well in their final exams. If the student is not able to do well in these small units of any subject has to correct themselves at this level. They have to spend some additional time to learn the topics again and rectify the mistakes they are doing with the help of concerned teachers.This is the best way how a good, bright and sincere student will prepare best for the final exams.
Some important tips for the students for their good preparation for ICSE stream of examinations
1. The first thing the student has to remember to prepare these exams is they must have good overall understanding of the topics as well as the basic concepts of the topics is very essential as questions for these exams are set on these lines only. For this, the student has to take the help of the running notes they have taken while the teacher is explaining the topics and also the key points given at the end of each topic of the text books.
2. One more important thing the students of this stream has to realize is one has to be thorough with the whole topic rather than parts of the topic. Even the essay questions given in this stream of examination can be found in the form of 5 to 10 short questions. The questions given in this form will cover the entire topic. So the student must have thorough knowledge of the entire topic which only helps them to attempt the entire question to get full marks. Even the average students who are much concentrating towards the exam to pass has to select certain easy topics and has to be thorough with the whole topics to score well.
3. A student has to set a time schedule program for self preparation of all the subjects and it should end well before 30 days of the final examination. More time and weightage should be given for difficult subjects of the student. In this preparation a student has to keep in mind that he or she preparing for the final time before going to write final exams. Student should not take this preparation in a casual way or in a halfhearted way. A student whatever he or she prepares a topic at this stage has to see that they should attain utmost perfection in their preparation.
4. It is always better for the student to write important points or brief notes while they are preparing a topic of the subject. This process will help the students to learn and remember important key points of the lesson well. This also help the students to revise topics well just before the day of final examination of the subject.
5. To score or perform well in ICSE stream of examinations, a student has to understand the mode or type of questions given in a particular subject. To get good practice and acquaintance of the type of questions given in these exams, a student whether a bright or average must go through the last 10 years question papers of the Board. A slow learning student who is aiming at least pass in the examination has to be thorough with last ten years question papers of the board so that he or she may get through the examination.
6. One more thing the student has to realize about these exams is, the performance or final result of the student depends on not only how well he or she prepares for the exam but also how well he presents the answers on the answer sheet. The answers written must be to the point of the question and correct key words required for the answer should be written to get maximum score. Continuous practice that the student they get in unit, term and revision test exams in the school will help the student in this aspect.
On what aspects students have to take care in various subjects of the ICSE exams?
In every subject there will be some important parts on which a student has to concentrate well to achieve good score and grade in those subjects. The following information will help the students to prepare well in various subjects of ICSE stream exams.
Scoring well in English papers I and II depends on the ability of student how well he or she uses good English while writing the answers for the questions. To score well the student must be good at vocabulary and grammar. The student has to use good English while writing the answers without any spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. Students have to read the poetry and prose parts of the text books as many times as possible so that they can write the answers fluently.
2. Language II
Students while writing the answers must use good meaningful words and the construction of the sentences must be without any grammatical errors. Students must take care about the spelling mistakes while they write difficult words in their answers otherwise they may lose good number of marks for these mistakes.
Students have to concentrate well on difficult and more scoring chapters like Geometry, Constructions, Statistics, Mensuration etc. to score good marks. Students have to practice well the various model problems of each topic and that will enable them to do the sums quickly without any mistakes. Students must be thorough with all the formulas to do well the sums without any difficulty. Students have to give more importance for understanding of the problem before they attempt it.
In ICSE stream, Science subject include three papers- Physics, Chemistry and Biology. Students have to concentrate well on definitions, basic concepts of the topics, experiments in all three science subjects. To score well in Physics paper students must be thorough with the derivation and numerical problems of various Physics topics. To score well in Chemistry paper students must be thorough with chemical formula, balancing chemical equations, writing structural formula of chemical compounds and in solving numerical problems in Chemistry. To score well in Biology paper students must be thorough with various structural organization of various parts of plants and human body, technical terms used in various topics, representation of labeled diagrams, functional mechanism of various parts of plants and human body, functions of various parts of plants and human body etc.
5. Social Sciences
In ICSE stream, Social sciences include two papers- History and Civics, Geography. Students have to give more importance for understanding of the various aspects of topics in history and Civics rather than by heart them. Students have to give more importance and practice to Map work in Geography paper as it provides maximum marks which can easily scored by every students.
6. Computer Application
Students have to score well in this subject has to be thorough with Java program writing aspect. Students have to give more practice to various models of the programs as many times as possible on the computer. This practice will develop the skill of writing any type of programs given in theory paper without mistakes.
7. Environmental Education
The student has to read the topics of this subject as many times as possible from the text book to acquaint well with various technical terms of the topic. This will help them to use these terms fluently while writing the answers in the exam. The student must know the meaning of various technical terms used in the topics to do well in answering short questions of this subject in the exams.
Prepare Project works well to score maximum marks in subjects
In ICSE stream exams, doing assigned project works help the students to get very good score in all the 11 papers. Twenty percent marks are allotted for every paper in these exams. External and internal examiners evaluate these projects. If the students do the assigned project works neatly and sincerely there is every scope of getting maximum marks in this work.
What care has to be taken on the day of examination?
1. Take at least more than seven hours of sleep before an examination. Go to the examination hall with a fresh and confidant mind.
2. First read all the instruction of the question paper without leaving any point. In ICSE stream of examinations, 15 minutes time will be allotted for reading the question paper. Utilize this time to understand the questions well so that you can write the answers well afterwards without any ambiguity.
3. Student has to allocate proper time to each section of the question paper to answer all questions without leaving any question unanswered. Time management is an important aspect that a student has to take care of to score maximum marks in every paper.
4. Give answers to the point of the question and provide correct key words in the answer to get full marks. Give correct question number in your answer sheet for which you are writing the answer, otherwise you may lose your marks for writing wrong question number.
5. Do not get nervous if you don't know answer for a small bit of a question. You concentrate to do justice for all the questions you know answers very well. Don't do any last minute hasty changes to the answers you have written already and some times this may lead to lose many marks.
6. Don't take heavy meal or oily food before attending the exam which may make the student sleepy or uneasy during examination time. It is always good to take light meals before the time of attending the examination.
Read related articles: Exam Preparation Tips
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
|Guest Author: Somnath Pati 15 Feb 2014|
|Thanks a lot. Indeed, a well-written article.|
|Guest Author: S Mukherjee 22 Jun 2014|
|This is not really that informative an article. Parents more or less say the same thing to their children! The article could have provided some useful tips & tricks on how to tackle questions in a smart way and how a student would manage to score better in a particular portion (lets say Mensuration of Mathematics paper). |
|Guest Author: Mintanondo Barik 04 Dec 2014|
|These are already known things right from class 8 so need some informative tricks to the exam|
|Author: Ramakrishna Kambhampati 16 Dec 2014||Member Level: Gold Points : 0|
|To know more tips to face ICSE Boards exam and score high follow the links:|
You can follow the following resources to prepare for 2015 ICSE final exams:
Return to Article Index
Active MembersTodayLast 7 Daysmore...