M. Tech. Research program at SVNIT (NIT-Surat)
This article briefs the M. Tech by research, a post graduate engineering course at Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology, Surat (NIT-SURAT or SVNIT). This article gives an overview of eligibility criteria, course duration and admission procedure.
IntroductionThe aim of this program is to train engineering graduates working in industry/academic institution with more than 5 years experience. This course gives an opportunity to do post graduation part time. It does not mean fully part time course but the candidate has to pass 4 theory subjects within the first year of admission with full time. Remaining one and half year he/she has to present his/her research work before the examination committee.
Course Duration and Credits: Minimum 2.5 years and maximum 4 years.
Candidate has to earn 24 credits in first year and for remaining course duration 36 credits are mandatory to earn. Maximum 60 credits are required to be earned for a candidate to pass this course/to get degree.
Course Specializations:Followings are different specialization available for M.Tech research course:
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
- Applied Mechanics (Structural Engineering & Geotechnical Engineering)
- Electrical Engineering
- Candidate must have bachelor's degree in any of the above seven specialization with minimum 55% or 6 CGPA (on 10 CGPA scale).
- Also along with this qualification, a candidate should have minimum five years of industry or academic experience after respective graduation in respective specialization.
- Offline application form are available on www.svnit.ac.in
- Duly filled application form along with DD has to be reached to "The Registrar, SVNIT, Ichchhanath, Surat-395007."
- Demand Draft should be drawn in favor of "Director, SVNIT, Surat" payable at Surat. Course fees for Open/OBC is Rs. 1000/- and Rs. 500/- for SC/ST.
- Application reached before 30 June will be processed in July and reached after 30 June and before 30 November will be processed in December for next semester.
- Most important is, NOC from existing employer
Selection Process: Selection for a course is made on the basis of oral presentation on future research in the respective discipline before a DBPGS&R committee by the concerned department.
- First Semester: Rs. 53000/-
- Second Semester: Rs. 35000/-
- Third Semester: Rs. 38000/-
- Fourth Semester: Rs. 35000/-
- Final Semester: Rs. 39000/- (including convocation fees of Rs. 1000/-)
These fees include a library fees, tuition fees, alumni fees, admission fees and security deposits.
Institute Address and contact details
- Sardar vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology, Surat
Institute Website: www.svnit.ac.in
This is the only program which allows a person to pursue a master degree in engineering in part time. The institute is of national importance, as the status given by Government of India.