A GSM modem is one of the wireless modem that is devised to work with a GSM wireless network. It works with the same frequency of GSM wireless network. It is an important part of the GSM network. Now a days GSM based cell phones are more preferred than cdma phones, hence let us see its operation and its features.
The GSM wireless modem works in the way like a dial-up modem. The main difference between the GSM modem and dial up modem is that a dial-up modem sends and receives data through a fixed telephone line while a GSM wireless modem sends and receives data through radio wave propagation.
A GSM modem can be an external device, a PC Card or a PCMCIA Card. A GSM modem can be connected to a computer using a serial cable or a usb cable. It works similar to a GSM mobile phone, and also GSM modem requires a SIM card for operation. It can be used for internet purpose also depending on various subscriptions to the service provider. There are so many feature and operations that can be performed using GSM modems.
Operations that can be performed using GSM modem:
1. We can read, write and delete SMS messages.
2. We can start Sending SMS messages.
3. We can reply to a SMS message.
4. We can monitor the signal strength in particular locality.
5. We can monitor the charging status and also the charge level in the battery.
6. We can read, write and search phone book entries.
7. We can use it in various projects for different purposes.
Features of GSM modems:
1. Support wide range of frequencies (from 850 MHZ to 1900 MHZ for different classification of GSM networks).
2. Supports integration with RS232 cable.
3. Can be interfaced to system using USB cables.
4. Input voltage varies from 5v to 30v.
5. Very less weight in few grams.
6. Provided with SIM holder and SMA antenna connector.
7. Programmable with AT commands.
What is the little red cap on GSM modem pools?