IntroductionHair fall is one of the most common problems faced by a majority of people. It can be controlled by following certain simple and natural ways. For a healthy and lustrous hair, you need to maintain and protect it at every stage of your life.
What are the main causes of hair loss?Normally everyone loses 40-50 strands of hair per day. When your hair falls increases considerably, you need to take necessary steps to prevent the fall. Let's list out the main causes of hair fall:
Improper nutrition / poor diet When the body doesn't meet its requirement of nutrients due to inadequate / improper nutrition or poor diet, the body suffers with various deficiency diseases. Deficiency of Vitamin B6 and iron / Folic acid, it results in hair fall. Lack of folic acid in the diet might lead to complete baldness of the head.
Environmental pollutionThe ever increasing pollution of the environment is one of the major causes for many health related problems including hair fall. One should follow the best practices to bring positive change in the environment for a healthy living.
Stressful life and insomniaThe present ever busy life style results in stress, anxiety, tension, panic attacks etc that adversely affects the health. Stressful life leads to insomnia or sleepless nights which might result in hair fall.
General health problemsGeneral health problems like chronic cold, anemia, prolonged diseases etc make the body weak and thereby weakens the hair roots which eventually results in hair fall. Health problems like increased levels of blood pressure, delayed or irregular periods in women might cause hair fall.
Chronic / prolonged disease Chronic illness like typhoid, jaundice etc affects the immune system of the body and it becomes too weak. This leads to severe hair loss.
Improper cleaning of scalp Hectic life style makes people to neglect the hygiene of their hair. Unclean / unhygienic scalp results in dandruff problem which eventually leads to hair loss.
Hereditary factors Hair fall or or baldness can be inherited from parents.
Dandruff problem Dandruff is one of the serious and very common problems in both men and women. Dandruff leads to hair fall.
Other important reasons Getting panicky at the very sight of hair fall, jumping to conclusions that you have hair fall problem and thereby experimenting with various ways of treatment without thinking whether the method you are following will suit you (your hair) or not. At times, experimenting with too many methods might worsen the situation.
Keeping the hair open In the olden days women used to plait or knot their hair. The trend has changed and women these days keep the hair open most of the day. This easily damage / tangles resulting in increased hair fall.
How to control hair fall in a natural way? There are several natural ways of controlling hair:
Intake of nutritious food Intake of nutritious food is very important for a healthy hair as well as for an overall health. Include the following foods for a crowning glory:
Deficiency of iodine and vitamin B slows down the blood supply to the scalp. This results in hair loss. Adequate intake of iodine, B vitamins and iron in the diet would help in the healthy growth of hair.
- protein-rich foods like milk, buttermilk, yogurt, soyabean, chickpeas, eggs, cheese, meat and fish.
- Green leafy vegetables like spinach, amaranthus leaves, curry leaves etc. These are rich in iron.
Include lots of nuts, grains, vegetables and fruits as these provide adequate amounts of essential nutrients to the body. In addition to the nutritious food, take a supplementary diet like milk, vegetable oils, honey, wheat germ, yeast and liver.
A special note to Indian women: Indian women particularly married women, do bother what they eat but they simply push the left over food into mouth. The reason, either they are too busy with work / family life or they simply ignore / neglect the fact. Such a negligence leads to health issues over a period of time.
It is important to make a note of those food stuffs which help in the rich growth of hair and make a note of the food stuffs that suits your body, the most. After thorough analysis, stick to those foods that suits you the best and helps in the hair growth. Stop experimenting as you know trying out with new things is for no good.
Regular massage of the scalp Massage the scalp or root hairs with finger tips on a regular basis. This is one of the excellent ways of controlling hair fall. Use warm plain coconut oil for massaging. Rub gently for half-an-hour as this improves blood supply to the scalp.
Cleanliness of hair Environmental pollution which is on the increase is one of the major causes of hair fall. Regular cleaning of hair is one of the important remedies for controlling hair loss. Washing the hair on alternate days helps in controlling hair fall. It also helps in solving dandruff problem, if any
Avoid going out with oily hair Oiling the hair before going to bed is the best option. Rinse / shampoo the hair the next day morning with herbal shampoos or girijan shikakai / rita powder. Avoid going out with oily hair as the dirt and pollutants easily accumulate and stick on oily hair.
Avoid the use of perfumed hair oils Scented hair oils contain certain chemicals which might irritate the scalp and cause the hair to fall. So avoid the use of scented oils. Instead go for pure coconut oil which is effective for hair growth.
Regular practice of yoga and meditation Regular practice of yoga and meditation for 30 minutes (10 minutes meditation and 20 minutes yoga) for 5 days a week is helpful for healthy and stress-free life. Certain yogasanas like Sirsaasana, the body is in upside down position. This helps in the rich supply of blood to the head.
Use herbal hair wash products For severe hair loss problem, use of herbal / natural hair wash products is recommended instead of commercially available chemical based shampoos. Girijan shikai or shikai powder and rita / rita powder are effective in controlling hair loss.
Avoid using hair dryers For severe hair loss problem, completely avoid the use of hair dryers. Never comb the hair when it is wet. Gently wipe your hair with a soft towel for drying it.
Top 10 home remedies for controlling hair fall Home remedies are useful and effective in preventing the loss of hair.
- Indian Gooseberry or amla are very good for enriching the hair growth. Sun dry amla pieces, boil these in pure coconut oil till the oil turns dark. Apply this oil at bed time. This is effective in controlling hair fall and for preventing premature graying of hair.
- Mix equal quantities of fresh amla juice and lime juice. Use this for shampooing the hair. This stimulates the hair growth.
Note:Amla might not suit for some people. Caution: this might cause instant cold / running nose. Better judge yourself before using Indian gooseberry, whether it suits your body or not.
- Taking half a litre of fresh juice of lettuce and spinach on a daily basis. This is a good remedy for hair fall. Taking a combination of juices of alfalfa, carrot and lettuce is also effective.
- Mix lime juice in pure coconut milk and apply it on the hair before a hair wash on alternate days. and this would help in preventing the hair loss and also helps in increasing the length of the hair.
- Apply freshly extracted juice of green coriander leaves or amaranth leaves on the hair half-an-hour before a hair wash. This helps in enhancing hair growth and is an effective conditioner.
- Boil henna leaves in pure coconut oil. Apply this oil daily at bed time regularly till the hair fall is controlled. This is effective in controlling hair fall but and helps in preventing premature graying of hair.
- Boil curry leaves in the coconut oil till the leaves become light in weight and float on the surface and the oil becomes dark. Apply this oil at bed time. This helps in controlling hair loss and premature graying of hair.
- Coconut milk is a wonderful home remedy for hair loss. Massage scalp with coconut milk and apply it on the hair half-an-hour before a hair wash. Coconut milk is prepared by grinding the white pulpy part of the fruit.
- Applying castor oil on the hair regularly helps in the luxurious growth of the hair. Avoid going out with oily hair as castor oil is too sticky and attracts the dirt particles.
- After a head massage with warm oil, dip a Turkish napkin / towel in hot boiled water, squeeze out the water and then cover the head with the steaming hot napkin. Be careful of burns - place carefully on the hair only when the heat is tolerable. Repeat this process for two-three times. Steaming helps in increasing the blood supply to the head region and nourishes the root hairs.
- Apply egg white on the scalp once a month. This is one of the best home remedies for preventing hair loss. Massage the scalp with the egg white and rinse your hair after half-an-hour.
- Apply cream-less sour yogurt i.e curd on the scalp. Massage the scalp while applying with finger tips. Rinse your hair after 20-30 minutes. This is an effective home remedy for controlling dandruff as well.
- Grind freshly plucked hibiscus leaves or red hibiscus flowers, to a paste. Apply it on the scalp and rinse after 20-30 minutes. This is a wonderful home remedy for preventing the pre-mature graying of hair.
- Soak fenugreek seeds (methi seeds) overnight, grind it to paste and apply it on the scalp. This is a wonderful home remedy even for controlling dandruff and also conditions the hair.
ConclusionHair fall is not a serious health disorder but when neglected, it results in serious issues. Hair fall can be easily controlled by following the best practices. Severe hair fall when neglected might result in baldness of hair. Spend some time for yourself and take care of the health of your hair. Maintain cleanliness of the hair for a luxurious and rich hair.
A word of caution The above mentioned remedies can be followed when the problem of hair fall is not too severe. In case of serious / severe hair fall problem, you are advised to consult a dermatologist or a trichologist instead of neglecting the problem.
Disclaimer: The author is not a certified trichologist / beautician but has just provided the information.
Article by Kalyani
Kalyani is basically an educationist and presently a home-maker who is fruitfully utilizing her free time in freelancing, online content writing and above all blogging. She is an active editor at IndiaStudyChannel.com for over 2 years and is a passionate writer. She is an environmentalist who strives to protect the environment through the revival of age-old eco-friendly practices. She also strives to preserve the rich cultural heritage of India.
Follow Kalyani or read 182 articles authored by Kalyani
|Guest Author: venkatgowda 16 Aug 2013|
|Hair fall is more and dandruff is more get me one good solution.|
|Author: K Mohan 01 Mar 2014 Member Level: Platinum Points : 4|
|Keeping good hair and attractive is the liking of many persons and ladies are most worried about their hail fall during their marriage age. I think the food habits among us are the main reasons for hair fall. More over we are attracted to the television advertisements stressing us to use shampoos of different combinations. Shampoos and conditioners contain harmful chemicals which may not upkeep our hair permanently. I suggest using natural henna for the permanent and best up keeping of long and silky hair. Though henna may be costly but a good brand is always affordable to the health conscious people.|
|Author: Mohana 29 Apr 2015 Member Level: Bronze Points : 0|
|It helps me a lot. Thank you. I will try it.|