Active MembersTodayLast 7 Daysmore...
Resources » Articles/Knowledge Sharing » General
How to apply for German visa
People visit lot of countries for different purposes. In this article, I have listed down the step by step procedure to apply for German Visa from India. It have also tried to give other details such as fee details and list of german consulates in India.
If you are planning to visit any other country then getting the visa is the first and the foremost requirement. You cannot enter a different country without having a valid visa stamped on your passport. There are very few countries which offer the facility of getting an "On Arrival" Visa which means that you can get the visa then and there itself when you enter the country.
A person might need to travel to a different country for various purposes:
1. To travel
2. To visit friends and family
3. To study
4. To work
5. For some business
Depending on the purpose, you need to apply for that particular visa.
These days, lot of students prefer travelling to Germany for higher studies due to nominal fee and free education in most of the German universities. To travel to Germany, a person can apply for two types of Visa:
1. Schengen Visa - It is a short term visa (for stay up to 90 days) and can be applied in case a person needs to visit the country for transit, business, and travel reasons. A person holding a Schengen visa can travel to any of the 25 Schengen countries, Germany being one of them, (entire list is given at the end of the article) with a single visa. This is beneficial for the person in case he/she intends to visit several European countries in the same trip and this way the person can also get rid of the troubles of applying for visas of different countries. A person travelling on Schengen visa is not allowed to work or study in the Schengen countries.
2. National Visa - It is a long term visa (stay is more than 90 days) and is applied in case the person needs to travel to Germany for higher studies or work reasons.
Procedure for German Visa Application
Following are the steps which you need to take for applying German visa:
Step 1 - Filling the application form
You need to fill the Germany visa application form first. For student and work visa, the form needs to be filled in manually. Form can be downloaded from the German Consulate website. All the details filled in should be correct and truthful.
If you are applying for the Schengen visa, then the form can also be filled in online. Make sure you thoroughly review the form before submitting it. After the form is submitted online, you will get a 2D Barcode page, a printout of which needs to be taken and signed by you.
You need to fill in following major details in the form:
1. Personal details such as name, age, address.
2. Passport details.
3. Type of visa which you are applying for.
4. Purpose of travel.
Step 2 - Visa application Fee
You need to pay the German visa application fee only through a Demand Draft. The DD can be issued at any of the 'ABN AMRO Bank', 'Deutsche Bank', 'Canara Bank', or 'Indian Bank', but must be payable at the location of the consulate General of Germany that you are going to submit the German visa application form.
Following is the fee applicable for different visa types:
1. Schengen-Visa (adult) INR 4000
2. Schengen Visa (child) INR 2300 - Exempted if child's age is less than 6 years
3. National-Visa (child) INR 2,000
There is an extra service charge which needs to be paid in cash and is non-refundable.
You need to fill and sign in the Germany visa DD form which can be downloaded from the official website of the German embassy in India. This form needs to be submitted along with the Germany visa application form.
Step 3 - Medical Insurance
For all visa applicants, getting an international medical insurance is mandatory for the duration of stay in Germany. You need to apply for an international insurance and fill in the details in the Health Insurance Declaration form which can be downloaded from the the official website of the German embassy in India.The print out of the form needs to be submitted along with visa application form.
Step 4 - Declaration of Authenticity
This is the last form which needs to be submitted with the visa application. Again this can be downloaded from the official website of the German embassy in India.
Step 5 - Visa Interview
You need to submit your Germany Visa application at your nearest consulate General of Germany along with all the forms and the supporting documents. After that you need to give the visa interview in which you need to convince the interviewer that you would be returning back to India after the said date. Here your application can be approved or rejected.
Germany Visa Support Documents
Mandatory documents for all Germany visa applicants:
1. Germany visa application form
3. 2 passport sized photographs
4. Demand draft for Germany visa fees
5. Demand draft declaration form
6. Health insurance coverage
7. Health Insurance declaration form
8. Proof of financial status
9. Declaration of authenticity of documents submitted
Additional documents for Germany student visa:
1. Letter of admission from the German University
2. Proof of financial resources
3. Original college transcripts
4. Original degree certificate
5. Test scores (GRE, GMAT or TOEFL)
6. English language proficiency certificate (TOEFL, IELTS scores)
7. German language proficiency certificate
Office hours to submit visa application
Monday to Friday, 8AM to 11AM
Monday to Thursday, 1PM to 2.30PM
Visa collection timing
Monday to Friday, 1PM to 1.30PM
List of German Consulates in India
1. New Delhi - Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany, P.O. Box 613, New Delhi -110001
2. Kolkata - Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany, P.O. Box 16711, Kolkata -700027
3. Mumbai - Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany, "Hoechest House", Nariman Point, Mumbai 400021
4. Chennai - Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany, No. 9 Boat Club Road, RA Puram - Chennai 600 028
5. Bangalore - Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany, Crescent Park, GA 26, Rest House Crescent Road, Bangalore 560001
List of Schengen Countries
The Schengen countries include the following:
3. Czech Republic
Read related articles: Germany visa Student visa Study abroad Visa
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
No responses found. Be the first to respond...