Vijender Singh - India’s Boxing Gold Medal Hope For 2012 London Olympics
This article gives all interesting lesser known facts about Vijender Singh – bronze medal winner at Beijing Olympics 2008. The article also gives the prospects of Vijender Singh to win a gold medal at the upcoming London Olympics 2012. Also find the profile and achievements of Vijender Singh
World Ranking of Vijender Singh
Current world ranking of Vijender Singh (as of 20 Feb, 2012): 8
Highest World ranking of Vijender Singh (September 2009): 1
Currently, Vijender Singh is ranked number 8 in the International Boxing Association world boxing rankings. But in September 2009, he was ranked as the
top boxer in the world
by the International Boxing Association in the 75kg category. He achieved this feat shortly after his bronze medal in Beijing Olympics as well as a bronze medal in the 2009 World Amateur Boxing Championships. His points tally of 2800 enabled him achieve this landmark of the numero uno spot in world boxing rankings.
Major achievements of Vijender Singh
1. 2008 Beijing Olympics - Bronze Medal - Vijender Singh became the first Indian boxer to win a medal at the Olympics. He achieved this feat by defeating the Ecuador champion Carlos Gongora in the quarter final match. It immediately made Vijender Singh a household name in India and made boxing a popular sport within a few years after this victory. Today as many as 5 boxers have already qualified for the 2012 London Olympics and the popularity for boxing in India can be credited to Vijender Singh and his performance at the Beijing Olympics.
2. 2010 Commonwealth Games - Bronze Medal – One of the most controversial games in the history of boxing where Vijender Singh lost to Anthoy Ogogo of England in the semi final match at the 2010 commonwealth games. Vijender Singh was given penalties in the form of warnings which enabled Anthony to slide past Vijender and eventually win the match. Thus, he became one of the only players in history of bixing to win a match without giving a blow to the opponent. Vijender Singh thus had to be content with a bronze medal.
3. 2010 Commonwealth Boxing Championship - Gold Medal - Vijender Singh won the gold medal in 2010 Commonwealth Boxing Championship where 5 other Indian boxers also won the gold medal making it the most remarkable performance by India in this event in the history of Indian sports. India officially became the powerhouse boxers in the world by dominating this tournament.
4. 2006 Commonwealth Games - Bronze Medal – Vijender Singh's first ever major victory came in 2006 Commonwealth Games when he won the Bronze medal in this event.
5. 2006 Doha Asian Games - Bronze Medal - Another feather in Vijender Singh's cap with 2006 Doha Asian Games bronze medal winner. Again, first Indian boxer to achieve this feat at the Asian Games.
Awards won by Vijender Singh
July 2009 Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
Award for excellence in the field of sports. Khel Ratna is India's highest honor in sports achievements. Vijender Singh won this award in 2009 after his brilliant performance in the 2008 Beijing Olympics where he was honoured with a bronze medal – India's first ever boxing medal at the Olympics. He was awarded with Khel Ratna along with Sushil Kumar and Mary Kom. It was the first time in the History of Indian sports that 3 players were honoured with this award which is considered as the biggest achievement in Indian sportsperson's career.
January 2010 Padma Shree
Padma Shree is the fourth highest civilian award in India. Vijender Singh won the Padma Shri in Jan 2010 in recognition of his distinguished contribution to the field of sports in Boxing. Earlier in January 2009, Vijender Singh was denied this award when he was recommended along with Sushil Kumar due to their performance in the 2008 Beijing Olympics. But in January 2010, the jury unanimously voted for Vijender Singh for this reputed award.
Profile of Vijender Singh
Full Name: Vijender Singh
Father's name: Mahipal Singh Beniwal
Birth Date: 29 October, 1985
Birth Place: Kalwas, Bhiwani, Haryana
Height: 6ft 0in
Mentor and coach: Jagdish Singh (India)
Vijender Singh's marriage
Vijender Singh got married to Archana Singh on 17th May, 2011 at the age of 25. He met Archana at a function and became close since then. Archana Singh,
wife of Vijender Singh
, is a software professional and has an MBA degree. The marriage ceremony was held in Haryana and was a small function with only family members and close friends. The ceremony was kept secret as it might have affected Vijender's performance in the Arafura Games in Australia. Vijender Singh won bronze medal in these games and immediately after returning to India tied the knot to Archana Singh in a homely ceremony. It is speculated that his film 'Patiala Express' got shelved due to his marriage as he would no longer have that craze amoung girls which would have generated before marriage.
Interesting facts about Vijender Singh
• Vijender Singh's father Mahipal is a driver at Haryana Roadways. Mahipal had to work overtime at Haryana roadways to fund school fees for Vijender Singh and his brother Manoj.
• In his early days as a boxer, Vijender Singh did not have sufficient funds for boxing training. He worked part time to fund boxing. One of his part time jobs was modelling for ads.
• Vijender Singh trained at Bhiwani Boxing club founded by his trainer Jagdish Singh.
• Vijender Singh worked for the Haryana Police department for a salary of Rs.14000 per month after his bronze medal winning performance at the Beijing Olympics.
• Vijender Singh was denied Padma Shree award in 2009 after his phenomenal performance in the Beijing Olympics, Asian Games and Commonwealth Games. Eventually he won the Padma Shree in 2010.
• Vijender Singh won the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award in 2008 where for the first time 3 sportsmen were conferred this award in the history of Indian sports. Other winners of the Khel Ratna award along with Vijender Singh were Sushil Kumar, the
Bronze medal winner in Beijing Olympics
and Mary Kom, the female boxer.
• Vijender Singh had signed a Bollywood film titled 'Patiala Express'. Supposedly Govinda's daughter was casted opposite Vijender Singh in this film. But, the project was shelved due to Vijender's marriage ceremony.
• Vijender Singh was booked for a case in Haryana for printing the national emblem on his wedding card. It was an unusual case but of a very serious nature and Vijender Singh's involvement made this into a hot news material in the Indian media.
• Vijender Singh styles himself based on the Hollywood star Sylvestor Stallone. The 'Rocky' film series of Sylvestor Stallone is one of the favourites of Vijender Kumar and he idolises Sylvestor Stallone. His haircut and long hooks are similar to Sylvestor Stallone in the film 'Rocky'
• Vijender Singh's role models are the legendary boxers Mike Tyson and Muhammed Ali. He also is a big fan of Boxing promoter Don King.
• Vijender Singh participated in various ramp shows after his celebrity status since the bronze medal at the Beijing Olympics. He states the reason of participation in the ramp shows as promotion of Boxing in India.
• Vijender Singh believes that in India, only Cricket is a sport which is supported, funded and popularized amoung the masses. He is a fan of Saina Nehwal, Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupati and always cites these people while referring to negligence of other sports in India. In various interviews he mentions India's talents in badminton, tennis, wrestling and shooting and highlights the lack of attention given by the media to these sports.
• Vijender Singh approached the Haryana state government and Indian government many times for support for promotion of Boxing but was always disappointed with the lukewarm response given by the government authorities.
• Vijender Singh wanted to participate in the upcoming Indian boxing reality show based on the international reality show 'The Contender'. But because of his contract with Infinity Optimal Solutions, he was denied this opportunity. IOS in fact had to
petition against Vijender Singh
in Delhi High Court.
• Vijender Singh participated in the popular television series 'Dus Ka Dum' which is hosted by the famous Salman Khan. He participated along with Mallika Sherawat and the episode gained immense popularity.
• Vijender Singh participated in the dance reality show on Star One 'Nach Baliye'. He participated with dance partner Bipasha Basu in this reality show.
• Vijender Singh also participated in the very famous reality TV show 'Roadies 8.0'. He fought with the Roadies contenders in the boxing ring and the task for the contenders was to survive in the boxing arena with Vijender Singh taking blows from the Olympic bronze medallist.
• Vijender Singh is very critical of the new boxing rules implemented from June 2010. His form of boxing was mainly dependent on the defensive and counter attack. But with new rules, it becomes extremely difficult to implement this strategy.
• Vijender Singh is looked upon as the role model by upcoming boxers and the younger generation.
• Vijender Singh's dream is to win the 2012 London Olympics Gold Medal.
2012 London Olympics : Danny Boyle and A R Rahman to reunite for a Punjabi track
Saina Nehwal - India'S Brightest Hope For Gold At 2012 London Olympics
Biography Of Sandeep Singh: A Player Who Can Bring London Olympics 2012 Gold To Indian Hockey Team
Olympic Contestants 2012: Profile of Yelena Isinbayeva the flying star
How did Sania Mirza reached the London 2012 Olympics?
Read related articles:
2012 London Olympics
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
Responses to "Vijender Singh - India’s Boxing Gold Medal Hope For 2012 London Olympics"
Notify me by email when others post comments to this article.
Do not include your name, "with regards" etc in the comment. Write detailed comment, relevant to the topic.
No HTML formatting and links to other web sites are allowed.
This is a strictly moderated site. Absolutely no spam allowed.
to fill automatically.
(Will not be published, but
to validate comment)
Type the numbers and letters shown on the left.
Complete the action items below to enter to win an iPad Mini from India Study Channel!
India Study Channel - Locker
Subscribe to Email
Get Jobs by Email
Forum posts by Email
Articles by Email
Awards & Gifts
Last 7 Days
M Suman Kumar
N K Ravishankara
ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. © All Rights Reserved.