What is premature graying of hair?Human hair loses its natural color as the age advances. In India graying of hair is considered as a sign of aging. Indians in general get gray hair in their 50's. But if you start getting gray strands of hair in your 30's, then it is called premature graying of hair.
Your confidence levels go down, you feel low self esteem and you cannot move socially when your hair starts graying at an early age. Follow the best home remedies to control premature graying of hair, come out of low self esteem and walk with confidence. Before knowing the home remedies, try to find out what are the causes of premature graying of hair.
Causes of premature graying of hair.Following are the main causes for premature graying of hair:
- Deficiency of essential nutrients particularly Vitamin B and minerals like iron, copper and iodine in the diet leads results in premature graying of hair.
- A stressful life with too much of worries readily affect the hair that turns gray at a young age. These retard the supply of blood to the root hairs which adversely affects the hair.
- Family history of early graying of hair plays a key role.
- Unhygienic condition of the scalp and hair is one of the causes of premature graying of hair. An unclean scalp affects the health of the hair. Poor health conditions of hair result in various hair health problems like dandruff and early graying of hair and hair loss.
- Chronic health problems weaken the body resulting in various health related issues which include hairfall and premature graying of hair.
- High levels of pollutants in the environment is one of the major problems of various health problems including graying of hair at an early age.
- Too much use of commercial hair products affects the health of the hair. Hair looks good temporarily after the use of such products but on the long run it affects the hair health.
- Use of scented hair oils for a prolonged period affects the hair health and might damage the melanin pigment in the hair
- Use of commercial hair colorants is one of the key causes for premature graying of hair.
Natural ways for treating premature graying of hairControl premature graying of hair at the initial stage.
- Diet plays an important role in the overall healthy condition of the body along with the health of the hair. Consume a nutritive and balanced food which is the best way of preventing as well as controlling premature graying of hair. Consumption of food rich in Vitamin B (yeast, wheat germ and liver) helps in controlling graying of hair. An increased intake of yogurt is an excellent remedy for the prevention and treatment of premature graying of hair. Even intake of foods rich in iron and iodine obtains a better result in the control of graying of hair.
- Consumption of adequate amounts of fresh green vegetables and fruits give the best results for the overall healthy condition of the body. Carrots are helpful in supplying fresh blood to the head region and thus helps in maintaining the health of the hair.
- Avoid hair colorants and hair dyes as these contain harsh chemicals which have an adverse affect on the hair health. Continuous use of commercial hair colorants enhance graying of hair.
- Avoid the use of scented hair oils too contain strong chemicals which help in promoting the graying of hair. Instead use pure coconut oil for oiling the hair.
- Protect your hair from the environmental pollution.
- Avoid the use of commercial shampoos and go for herbal products as these are comparatively much safer.
Home remedies for premature graying of hairFollowing are the effective home remedies extensively used in India:
- Indian gooseberry i.e aamla is one of the best hair tonic and an effective hair treatment tonic which helps in enriching the rich growth of the hair and also is very effective in the hair pigmentation. The several ways of using this fruit is:
- The fruit should be cut into pieces, if possible cut it on the lines as it would be easier to cut on lines. And then dry these pieces preferably in the shady place till they become dehydrated. Boil these dry pieces in pure coconut oil till these pieces become little charred or black in color and the oil turns black. On cooling strain the oil and throw away the residue and store the dark oil in a dry glass bottle. Use this oil as and when required. This dark aamla oil is very useful in preventing premature graying of hair.
- Another way is to soak the dry aamla pieces in water and leave it overnight. The next day morning strain the water and keep this black water aside and use this water for rinsing the hair as a last rinse after hair wash. Such a rinsing of hair with black aamla water is considered highly beneficial in the treatment of premature graying of hair. And it also helps in nourishing the hair with the required nutrients.
- Yet another way of using Indian gooseberry is to extract a teaspoonful of juice from this fruit, mix with a teaspoonful of either almond oil or a few drops of lime juice, mix it well and massage the scalp with this juice at bedtime. Such a massage with the aamla juice on a regular basis has been found to be very beneficial in preventing as well as treating premature graying of hair. And it is also helps in supplying essential nutrients to the root hair and thus helps in the rich growth of dark hair.
- An increased in the intake of curry leaves is considered very beneficial for preventing premature graying of hair. Curry leaves have a natural property of giving vitality and strength to the hair roots. It also helps in the growth of new hair roots which are healthier with normal pigment. Thus it gives rich, black and lustrous look to the hair. Curry leaves can be used in the seasoning of various Indian veg curries and also it can be made in the form of chutney. Even finely chopped curry leaves or the extract of these leaves can be mixed in thin butter milk or lassi and can be consumed.
Boil curry leaves in pure coconut oil till it becomes dark in color. On cooling strain the oil and store it in dry glass jar. Massage the scalp with little oil at bed time. This is a wonderful hair tonic that helps in stimulating the hair growth. It also helps in regaining the lost pigmentation of hair.
- Boil pieces of ridge gourd in coconut oil is yet another effective remedy for premature graying of hair. Dry the pieces in shade and soak these in coconut oil. Keep it aside for 3-4 days. Boil it till the solid dry pieces turn to black residue. Massage this oil on the scalp. This helps in enriching the hair roots and restores pigment to the hair.
Natural hair dyes for premature graying of hair:Use natural hair colorants instead of going for chemical hair colorants which are not at safe for the hair. Some of the natural hair colorants are:
- Henna is an effective hair colorant which is extensively used in India. Make a paste of freshly plucked henna leaves and apply it on the hair. Rinse with tap water after 30-45 minutes. You can even get commercially available henna powder. Make a paste of it by mixing tea decoction. Leave it overnight in an iron container. Next morning apply the paste all over the hair, leave it for at least an hour. Rinse your hair thoroughly with clean water without using a shampoo.
- Make a paste of henna leaves in thick consistency. Boil this paste in pure coconut oil till the oil becomes dark in color. On cooling store the oil and use it as and when required. This is an effective home remedy for controlling premature graying of hair.
- At early stages, wash your hair with concentrated tea extract at least twice a week. This helps in giving a brownish tint to the hair.
- Use beet root juice / extract as a hair colorant. Apply the juice on the hair for at least an hour before washing the hair. This gives a rich color to the hair and even conditions the hair.
ConclusionDo not neglect when the hair starts graying but take necessary precautions to control it at the initial stages only. Otherwise, you will find it too difficult to prevent it at a later stage.