New Member FAQ
Last 7 Days
Health Benefits of Walnuts
Walnuts are a great source of energy and contain lot of nutrients such as minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants which are beneficial for health. In this article, I have listed down some of the uses and health benefits of walnuts.
are considered to be a rich source of energy and amongst all the nuts they contain the maximum number of antioxidants of high quality. They are one of the best plant sources of protein available. They look very simialr to the structure of a human brain and are therefore considered to be a very good food for our brain. Let us see some
health benefits of Walnuts
in the section below.
are not only good in taste but are also rich source of mono-unsaturated fats and omega 3 fatty acids both of which are very beneficial for one's heart.
Health Benefits of Walnuts
Following is a list of some health benefits of Walnuts:
1. Daily intake of 5 to 7 walnuts, helps improve the cholesterol levels in our body i.e. it reduces the total as well as LDL (bad cholesterol) level and increases the levels of HDL (good cholesterol) in our blood.
2. Walnuts are also called as "brain food" because of the presence of Omega-3 fatty acids in them. The omega-3 fatty acids help in proper functioning of the brain cells. Also, amongst all the tree nuts found, Walnuts have the highest omega-3 content.
3. Regular intake of walnuts in your diet can also solve the problem of insomnia as they are also rich in a hormone called Melatonin, which regulates sleep and is also a powerful antioxidant. Try having some walnuts during evening time and notice that you get a good sleep that night. Maintaining healthy levels of this hormone is important for everyone over the age of 40 since the amount of melatonin produced by the human body decreases significantly as we age, so it becomes even more important for persons above 40 to include walnuts in their daily diet.
4. Walnuts are also excellent source of vitamin E, which is a powerful lipid soluble antioxidant, required for maintaining the integrity of cell membrane of mucus membranes and skin by protecting it from harmful oxygen free radicals.
5. Walnuts contain an essential amino acid called L-arginine, that helps in increasing the blood flow in the body. It also prevents arteries from narrowing and prevents accumulation of fat deposits in the artery walls.
6. Walnuts can also help cure constipation as they are a rich source of dietary fibre.
7. Due to anti-inflamatory properties of omega-3 fatty acids, walnuts can be used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and dry and itchy skin.
8. As walnuts are rich in iodine content, they are also considered good for preventing thyroid.
When not to eat Walnuts
1. In case you are allergic to nuts, then do not eat walnuts.
2. Walnuts become rancid very easily, so if they taste bitter, do not eat them.
3. If taken in excess quantities daily, can lead to obesity.
4. If possible, always try to take walnuts in raw form instead of roasted form as roasted form contains high fat and calorie content, so overweight people and heart patients should be cautious while eating excess and roasted walnuts.
Read related articles:
Walnut health benefits
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
Responses to "Health Benefits of Walnuts"
No responses found. Be the first to respond...
Notify me by email when others post comments to this article.
Do not include your name, "with regards" etc in the comment. Write detailed comment, relevant to the topic.
No HTML formatting and links to other web sites are allowed.
This is a strictly moderated site. Absolutely no spam allowed.
to fill automatically.
(Will not be published, but
to validate comment)
Type the numbers and letters shown on the left.
The electrical properties of heart and the regulation of heart beat in humans
What is the ‘Immunotherapy Treatment’ of cancer?
Return to Resources
Post New Resource
Post resources and
Common physical testing methods used by physiotherapists
Description about anaemia in human beings and its general types and symptoms
Important health checkups for men and women from the age of 20 to 50.
HIV care and arrest of its spread.
10 Tips for Contact Lens users
How to control pre-mature graying of hair in a natural way?
Tag posting guidelines
Health benefits of walnuts
Subscribe to Email
Get Jobs by Email
Forum posts by Email
Articles by Email
Awards & Gifts
AdSense Revenue Sharing sites
ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. Copyright © All Rights Reserved.