Resources » Articles/Knowledge Sharing » Sports
Biography of Rahul Dravid: The Wall and legendary Cricket player of India
Rahul Dravid is one of the greatest ever legendary batsman of India of all times who brought great laurels to India through his batting, Wicket keeping and fielding prowess. Dravid in his 16 years illustrious career broken many records and strengthen Indian team in its batting. In this resource I gave a detail Biography of Rahul Dravid on the occasion of his retirement to all forms of International Cricket to pave way to youngsters in his place.
Rahul Sharad Dravid one of the greatest ever cricketer of India said Good Bye to all formats of official cricket career. To the experts of cricket field, media persons and cricket lovers all over the world he is popularly known as The Wall, Mr. Dependable and Jammy. He entered into International Cricket arena on April 3rd 1996 as one day player to play against Srilanka in one day series and ended his career by playing against Australia series in February 2012. In the span of his 16 year illustrious career he broke many records and got many National as well as International awards for his effortless services to the field of cricket. More over the awards he got, the millions of fans and followers who appreciate him in his successes definitely made him happy than any other things else. Surely no Indians of his generation never forgot him for the heroic battle Dravid did in every match to put India on top.
Rahul Dravid's Family Life
Rahul Dravid was born to Sharad Dravid and Pushpa Dravid on 11 th January, 1973 in Indore of Madhyapradesh State. Later their family was shifted to Banglore, Karnataka. His father worked in Kissan Jams Company and because of this his teammates used to call him as 'Jammy'. His mother Pushpa Sharad worked as a Professor of Architecture in Bangalore University. Rahul had a younger brother Vijay also a cricket player and he has chosen the option of Engineering as his occupation. Rahul had his school study in St.Joseph's Boys School, Bangalore. He did his Degree in Commerce in St. Joseph's College of Commerce, Bangalore.
Cricket career of Rahul Dravid
Rahul Dravid started his cricket career from 12 years age on wards. He represented the Karnataka State under-15, under-17 and under-19 level teams. Former cricketer of India Keki Tarapore is his cricketing coach. In his debut match of his school team he slammed a century and got great confidence in his prowess. In 1991 he was selected to Ranji team of Karnataka while he still studying Commerce Degree course in St. Joseph's College of Commerce.
Rahul Dravid after proving his mettle in Ranji and Duleep Trophy matches he was selected to the National team to play against Srilanka in one day Singer's cup at Singapore in 1996. He was dropped from the team for the poor performance in the Singer's cup. Later in the same year he was again picked for the test series against England tour. He got his first debut on this tour in the second test match when Sanjay Manjrekar got injured and to replace him he was selected. He performed well in that series by scoring 95 in second test and 84 in the third test which got him established in the Indian team. This is the time where Indian team hopelessly waiting for a player to play in the opening slot as well as 1 st down position. Rahul Dravid by his worth grab that chance and established himself as a technically perfect playing one down batsman. He was made captain of the Indian team after the failure of Indian team at world cup under the captaincy of Sourav Ganguly in 2005, October. He proved his worth in captaincy cadre also by winning some memorable winning matches in India as well as abroad. In his captaincy India won against England and West Indies series. After Indian teams failure in 2007 World Cup, Rahul Dravid simply rejected to captain any further and he continued as a brave player of Indian team. He played only one match in T-20 Format in the Australian series. In Rahul Dravid's illustrious cricket career Australian cricket series is the lost one and even he played a one day match after 2009.
Rahul Dravid's marriage life
Along with cricketing career Rahul Dravid working as a Deputy General Manager of Indian Cements. In the year 2003 he got married to a Doctor Vijetha belongs to Nagapur. She gave birth to Samith in 2005 and Anvay in 2009. Rahul always praises her wife the pains she took in the upbringing of their child in his absence in most of the time and also he shows his gratitude towards her in throwing away her profession for the sake of their child. They are known to be one of the perfect couples in legendary world.
Memorable Test innings of Rahul Dravid
1. Rahul Dravid's 180 against Australia at Kolkota in 2001 and a record partnership 376 for the fifth wicket with VVVS Laxman is regarded as one of his best second innings which helps to win the series against Australia.
2. Dravid's 233 and 72 against Australia at Adilaide in 2003 helped India to win in tha test.
3.Dravid's 270 against Pakistan at Rawalpindi in 2004 helped register an innings win against Pakistan.
4. Dravid's 148 against England at Leeds in 2002 helped India to register an innings win against England.
5. Dravid's 217 against England at London in 2002 helped to draw against England in the test match.
6. Dravid's 112 in the second innings against West Indies at Kingston in 2011 helped India to win the Test match.
7. Dravid's 93 in the first innings against Australia at Perth in 2008 helped India to win the Test against Australia.
Bioscope of Rahul Dravid's Career
Dravid played a total of 164 Test matches and played 286 innings. He scored 13,288 runs at an average of 52.31 per match. In his total Test career he made 36 Test centuries and 63 half centuries. His highest score in Tests is 270 against Pakistan at Rawalpindi in 2004. He held a world record of 210 catches in Test matches in slip position.
Dravid played a total of 344 one day Internationals and played 318 innings. In total in one day Internationals he scored 10,889 runs at an average of 39.16 per innings. He made 12 centuries and 83 half centuries in One day Internationals. He held 196 catches in his One day International career.
Greatest Records in Rahul Dravid's name
- He was the first cricketer to score centuries against all test playing countries
- A test player who held highest number of catches in slip position
- A player who scored 10,000 runs at number three position
- A player who scored double centuries five times out of the three Indian cricketers (the others are Sachin and Shewag)
- The only player who scored 13,000 score after Sachin Tendulkar
- He is the only batsman in the world who scored three centuries twice against England after Sir Donald Bradman
- He is the only batsman in the world who 93 tests without any gap in the world
- He is the only player in the world who played maximum number of balls (31,258 balls) in test cricket
- He is the sixth player who scored 10,000 runs in one dayers
- He is the only one day player who is involved in above 300 runs partnerships twice in one day games
- He is the one player who involved in the 331 highest run partnership with Sachin Tendulkar in one day game played at Hyderabad
Memorable Awards and Rewards of Rahul Dravid
1. Rahul Dravid got Arjuna Award in 1998.
2. In 2000 year he got Wisden Cricketer of the year.
3. In 2004 Rahul Dravid got ICC player of the year, Padma Sri National Award, ICC Test player Award, MTV youth Icon player award.
4. Rahul Dravid was the only foreign cricketer who gave prolific speech on the occasion of Sir Bradman's memorial ceremony.
5. Rahul Dravid got 30th place in Cricketers All Times Best ranking after his retirement.
Short Biography and likes as well as dislikes of Rahul Dravid
1. Full Name: Rahul Sharad Dravid
2. Nick Names: Jammy, The Wall, Mr. Dependable
3. Date of Birth: 11 th January, 1973
4. Place of BIrth: Indore
5. Sun Sign: Capricorn
6. Scool: St. Joseph's Boys College
7. College: St. Joseph's College of Commerce
8. Daddy's Name: Sharad Dravid
9. Mummy's Name: Pushpa Sharad
10. Brother: Vijay Dravid
11. Wife: Vijeta
12. Sons: Samith and Anvay
13. Name of his home: Srishti
14. Favorite color: Blue
15. Favorite Hobbies: Reading books and listening music
16. Favorite Actor: Amir Khan, Tom Cruise
17. Favorite Actor: Manisha Koirala, Demi Moore, Micchelli Pfieffer
18. Favorite Movie: Ghost, Brake Heart
19. Favorite Cartoon: Superman
20. Favorite food: Home made Indian food, fish and chicken
21. Favorite Drink: Mango milk shake, Pepsi
What are the future plans of Rahul Dravid?
After announcing his retirement on 9 th March from all Formats of International cricket there is a lot of speculations among the cricket experts and fans about the future plans of Rahul Dravid. But Rahul Dravid has not announced any thing about his future during his retirement announcement. For the time being he is going to lead Rajasthan Royal's team In IPL matches which commences shortly in this year. So fans can enjoy his game for some more period in IPL matches. According to cricket and media experts he may turn to be a coach, a commentator, may take the position of the ruling body member of a cricket association or even he may start a business which may help the growth of cricket sport.
Read related articles: Rahul Dravid biography
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
No responses found. Be the first to respond...
Active MembersTodayLast 7 Daysmore...