Resources » Articles/Knowledge Sharing » Education
BITS Pilani University India academic programs
This article gives you a list of the engineering, management and other courses offered at Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani (BITS Pilani) which is a deemed University. You will know details about the campus infrastructure and facilities of this university, as well as the eligibility, fees structure, admissions & selection process for the various courses.
Founded by Shri G.D.Birla, the Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani (BITS Pilani) is a deemed University. It is accredited by the National Assessment & Accreditation Council (NAAC) with A grade & CGPA of 3.71. The university offers multiple academic programs of engineering, management, pharmacy and science.
Located approximately 200kms from New Delhi, the BITS Pilani campus location is near to the town of Pilani, Jhunjhunu District, Rajasthan State. The campus area covers a little over 300 acres and includes academic blocks, hostels for students and residential halls for the faculty. Over the years, new buildings have been added for academic programs as well as housing for the faculty. Hostel facilities are also available for the students.
Unique features of BITS Pilani academic programs
1. A student enrolling for any of the Integrated first Degree and Higher Degree Programs can also apply for the 'Practice School' option wherein he/she receives the degree with this add-on on successful completion of the program. During these programs, the student is offered a stipend and/or other facilities such as travel pay, accommodation, etc.
Practice School-I: This is an 8 weeks summer program done on completing 2 years of course work.
Practice School-II: This is a 5 ½ months program (July to December or January to June are the schedules).
2. A flexible educational structure allows a student to opt for a dual degree scheme, whereby students admitted to Group B programs are given an opportunity to work under this scheme for one of the Group A programs as well.
3. An exceptionally good meritorious student in the Integrated First degree program is allowed a transfer to a Higher Degree program.
4. A student can take up a course which is outside the scope of their curriculum, such as music, a foreign language, etc.
BITS Pilani Fees Structure
Readers are advised to check the official website (given at the end of this article) to know the fees structure as these may vary from one academic year to another.
As of this year, the admission fee for all the programs (UG, PG & Ph.D.) is Rs. 18,000/-. The first semester fee for all programs is Rs.70,000/-, the second semester is also Rs.70,000/- and the summer term fees is Rs. 35,000/-. The hostel fees for on-campus students is Rs.3500/- for 1st semester, Rs.3500/- for the 2nd semester & Rs. 1750/- for the summer term. In addition, there are nominal fees to be paid for Students' Union, Students' Aid, etc. There are also other fees such as Infrastructure modernization Fees, Fee for Eligibility Tests, etc.
Integrated first degree (undergraduate) programs at BITS Pilani
Eligibility for integrated first degree programs is usually: Pass in Class XII exam from a recognized Central or State board or its equivalent with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics + a minimum of aggregate 75% marks in Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics subjects in the Class XII exam, with at least 60% marks in each of the Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics subjects + adequate proficiency in English. Students also need to appear for the entrance exam called BITSAT.
Admission process: As mentioned earlier, the entrance exam called BITSAT is essential for admissions. Generally the last date for applying for the BITSAT exam (for the next academic year) is in mid-February. Those who have not registered for BITSAT will not be considered for admissions. There is also a scheme for admissions to those who top the Class XII Board exam.
1. B.E.(Hons.) programs
B.E.(Hons.) Mechanical Engineering
B.E.(Hons.) Manufacturing Engineering
B.E.(Hons.) Civil Engineering
B.E.(Hons.) Electrical and Electronics Engineering
B.E.(Hons.) Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering
B.E.(Hons.) Chemical Engineering
B.E.(Hons.) Computer Science
2. B.Pharm.(Hons.): This is for 8 semesters.
3. M.Sc.(Hons.) programs
M.Sc.(Hons.) Biological Sciences
4. M.Sc.(Tech.) programs
M.Sc.(Tech.) Finance: It is complementary to the M.Sc.(Hons.) Economics & the MMS program.
M.Sc.(Tech.) Engineering Technology: It gives exposure in varied engineering disciplines
M.Sc.(Tech.) General Studies: This includes humanities courses & certain general science & technology courses.
M.Sc.(Tech.) Information Systems: This provides skills training in computer software & software engineering techniques.
Higher degree (post graduate) programs at BITS Pilani
1. M.E. programs: These are of 4 semesters & in the last semester a student can opt for Dissertation and Practice School.
M.E.(Civil - Structural Engineering)
M.E.(Civil - Infrastructure Systems)
M.E.(Civil - Transportation Engineering)
M.E. (Communication Engineering)
M.E. (Computer Science)
M.E. (Embedded Systems)
M.E. Electrical (Power Electronics and Drives)
M.E. (Mechanical Engineering)
M.E. (Manufacturing Systems Engineering)
M.E. (Design Engineering)
M.E. (Mechanical Engineering)
M.E. (Software Systems)
M.E. (Manufacturing Systems Engineering)
2. M.Pharm programs: These are of 4 semesters & in the last semester a student can opt for Dissertation and Practice School.
M. Pharm. with Spl. in Pharmaceutics
M. Pharm. with Spl. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry
MPH (Masters in Public Health)
3. M.Phil. programs: BITS Pilani offers M.Phil. (Chemistry) program.
4. BITS Pilani MBA courses: Admission to the MBA programs at BITS Pilani is given generally to those having a degree in engineering. A student with a B.Sc., B.A. or B.Com. degree can also apply, but must have an aptitude towards training in maths, science & technology.
5. Ph.D programs: The Ph.D.programs at BITS Pilani are offered to students who have completed one of the university's higher degree programs. There is an exam through which the applicant must pass before qualifying for the Ph.D. program. The student's topic of research for the Ph.D. thesis must also be approved by a supervisor & the Research Board. Each Ph.D. program requires a minimum of 40 units to be taken in 4 semesters. Professionals also can enroll for a Ph.D. program off-campus at Practice School Centres & in some cases at other specific centres. The off-campus Ph.D. program includes: a qualifying exam; a Foreign Language, when required; teaching practice/practice lecture series; seminar/independent study; Ph.D. Thesis.
Contact information of BITS Pilani
Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani
Pilani Campus, Vidya Vihar
Pilani - 333031
Board: +91 1596 245073/4 / Fax: +91 1596 244183
Website: BITS Pilani India
Read related articles: Universities in India BITS Pilani admissions Admissions 2012
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
No responses found. Be the first to respond...