Computer and Laptop Security Tips
In this resource we are going to have a discussion on the ideas and ways out to safeguard our System and Laptops. There are some additional powerful tips for the laptop security in the end. In order to have a clear cut idea that what is actually the difference between malware, spyware and other security threats, kindly have a look at the resource in detail.
- Earlier we had a discussion on how to protect our devices be it a Smartphone, iPhone etc from unwanted security breach and also had a quality tips to secure the mobile operating systems like Android and iPhone operating system.
- Since now we know what is the categorization of the mobile threats we will now shift from mobile threats to security tips for the laptops and personal computers.
- In this resource the main focus will be on the tips and steps by which you can protect the laptops and computers against the dangerous degrading threats.
Security of Computers and Laptops
We can never ever run a smooth daily routine without the gadgets as we are now dependent on them on our each and even minor task, having an alarm, the door bell, from home to office, we have them all.
Similarly Laptops and computers are now an inevitable part of our life.
- Strong Password Strength:
- Having a strong password can not only safeguard but also provides a reliability of the system. There is a need to have strong password manager, which has a number of benefits attached with it. There will be separate passwords for separate accounts and you will not have to face the confusion of remembering them all at the time you log in to a particular account. Strong password manager also allows facility of one to many, in this way you only need to remember single master password.
Data Encryption :
- This is common that sometimes you have to give some access to the other person and in this case you need to worry genuinely over the security of your personal data, files and folders. In this case Window comes to the rescue; we can apply encryption of our files and folders. In this way if someone wants to decrypt them, then it is a near impossible task. There are also open source tools like TrueCrypt, also Bit Locker which is also having a window version for it.
Utilization of Screen Guard:
- With this you can also optimize the items which you want on the screen. This kind of optimization comes quite handy when we need to access some private data and sensitive information in the public place like while travelling we need to make a particular presentation etc.
- Since there are facility of having limited accessibility by having accounts on the system. The main facility is that we grant specific permission to the users, they can have limited accessibility to files and folders and even on some softwares.
Using Security Softwares:
- There are several internet security softwares which have a dual functionality, like they provide the anti virus protection to the system and also protection from the spywares, malwares. We already had a discussion over the difference between a spyware as well as malware in the previous resource, so you can go through the Mobile Threats for differences.
- We all know the benefits of having an open Firewall, but then also we are lazy in using it completely for the security purpose. Firewalls do not allow unwanted accessing, peer connection to one's system. We can access to the email accounts conveniently but having a messenger, chating are some features that for them we have to grant special permission.
Choice of an Operating System:
- You are advised to select an appropriate operating system, which should complement the security features which are must for the proper functioning.
- One common mistake which is common among users is that, they choose a system about which they are not so sure, this makes the installation, accessibility as well as functioning of softwares a cumbersome task for them, chose a operating system which allows the smooth running of the system along with all necessary softwares.
Tips for the Laptop Security
- laptops are a step ahead when it comes to breaking complexity of the BIOS passwords, so all the laptop users should consider taking this extra security step
- In laptop, there is one software which works fine with the Window Operating system, LAlarm, which provides software which has the alarming facility in case of security breach. Whenever there will be unwanted access to the data, disk, we can set the security perimeter for the data destruction, thefts, battery alarm etc.
- Laptop lock is quite famously used when unwanted physical theft is there, it automatically locks the laptop, even some times deletes the data, there is also an automatic encryption of the data.
- Webcam can also prove to be a reliable guard when adjusted with software known as YCam, it converts into a motion detecting device also when someone tries to access the laptop in your absence for a minute or two.
One can also go through the:
Working of an Antivirus Engine