Resources » Articles/Knowledge Sharing » General

How to apply to change your name in the gazette of India?

Posted Date: 21-Jun-2012  Last Updated:   Category: General    
Author: Member Level: Gold    Points: 50

While preferring a name change to have fortune vibes due to its paramount significance in our lives, the name change procedure legally becomes possible but time consuming to some extent in our country. This article deals about how to apply for change of your name change in the gazette of India and guidelines for name change legally for various reasons.

Depending on how the name of a person is spelt out its sound and vibration matter a lot influencing the life of the person, researches do acclaim. Since name plays a vital role in improving each and every aspect of our lives we sometimes wish to go for a change in our names obviously on several grounds.

Why do people wish to change their names?

Being multifactorial, name change could be done for just no reason at all if they don't like their name. But it is absolutely legalized.
1. People tend to change name simply because of not liking the name given at the time of birth by parents that sounds tweedy, peculiar, could be misspelled or embarrassing.
2. From futuristic standpoint, change of name is requested to have better lifestyle than the present one.
3. Change of name upon marriage is common among women in India with maiden name desired to be husband's name.
4. To include mother's name/initial as surname along with father's name/initial as surname is also desired.
5. Certain individuals may opt for name change on ethnic/religious grounds favoring inheritance of family name to be added upon to their existing name.

How to change your name officially in India?

Applying to change your name in the gazette of India and name change procedure in India is simple and legally permitted as scheduled by the Indian judiciary but to certain extent a bit time consuming process whatever the reason might be. Name change process will take some time and require a couple of visits to local magistrate office to obtain the documents of attestation. Payment of fees at each step while processing the name change must be required. As per a proposed revision of the existing Registration of Births and Deaths Act, name change in India has never been permitted more than once in a lifetime of the individual. Hence, due consideration should be given to name change. Let us go ahead with the guidelines for name change in India legally.

Requesting affidavit
If you desire to change your name you need to be ready with an affidavit on Rs. 10 stamp paper in front of any legal official/magistrate of the area of your domicile/notary mentioning in the affidavit that the reason for name change, old name, residential address, father/husband's name, and then new name, address, father/husband's name, etc. The legal authority will attest your affidavit in accordance with your application. If you are an NRI, your affidavit should be attested by the corresponding Indian Embassy/Indian High Commission. The clerks of the civil court who are knowledgeable in this process will get the affidavit prepared since they keep the formatting of the affidavit. For this they will collect a fee. Then you need to get it attested with a signature by the magistrate. You also have to get another affidavit on Rs. 10 stamp paper attested with the above details in the first affidavit.

Filing declaration form/ProForma
Filing declaration form known as ProForma is required to be made in duplicate in accordance with the specimen given by the Department of Publication in New Delhi. Two copies are essential. You have to sign this ProForma in front of two witnesses and get their signatures as well in the document.

Attesting photographs
Two passport-sized photographs should be pasted on an A4 paper and also attestation by notary is a must.

Placing advertisements in a newspaper
It is important to place advertisement in at least two local newspapers stating your change of name, old name, your father/husband's name, address, and why you want to have a name change. You are recommended to obtain original copy of this advertisement appearing in the newspaper, to tear the whole page of the newspaper with date and name of paper visible and highlight change of your name publication. It is better to have more than 10 copies of each newspaper for future reference.

Publishing in the gazette of India
The name change procedure will be completed when the name change is declared by publishing it in the gazette of India Part IV by paying a fee in advance. The fee for publishing in the Gazette can be paid as cash or by DD/Indian postal order in the name of Controller of Publication, Department of Publication, Civil Lines, Delhi-54. If you are residing in India fee for your name change has been Rs. 700 and Rs. 2300 for NRI inclusive of airmail charges. Are you in need of two (maximum) more copies? With the addition of Rs. 35 for each copy you can obtain by mailing a single DD of Rs. 770/Rs.2370. Along with this fee, following documents namely original advertisement, declaration document/ProForma, attested affidavit, and two attested passport-size photographs must be sent through either registered post or in person to the above-mentioned address. Thereafter, change of your name will be released in the official gazette by the respective State Government in its official gazette. You can thereafter purchase copies of the relevant gazette where the name change is published as official authentication of the name change.

Obtaining copies from the gazette
You need to wait for at least 15 days to inquire about your status of name change after mailing the above required DD and documents by mentioning your old and new names as a reference. And if everything goes fine you will receive copy/three copies of the gazette as the case may be through post. Now, you just enclose the gazette copy of your name change wherever it is required. At last you are done.

How to continue after name change?

On fulfilling the above steps obtaining your name change published in the gazette of India, you can have your passport, pan card, driving license, bank accounts bearing a desired new name. While for persuasion of higher studies or to apply for jobs in the public sector, you need to replace your new name in place of old in the 10th, 12th and degree certificates. In India, 10th and 12th standard certificates are of great importance and change of name in these certificates is definitely a time consuming procedure taking minimum of three months. To get these certificates assigned with your new name, letter must be sent to the respective board/examinations official along with copies of name change proof. This is posted only through registered post acknowledgment due only and not by courier. You must possess the registered post receipt and acknowledgment card along with application copy ready in hand. So that you can go for any query in case you will not receive any response from the board authority in obtaining the originals endorsed with new name. In the interim, you are supposed to hold on without these originals for a due course of time.
Related Resources:

Read related articles: Name change    Name    

Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!

Responses to "How to apply to change your name in the gazette of India?"
Author: K Mohan    01 Apr 2014Member Level: Platinum   Points : 2
This is the useful information provided by the author. I think the changes must be made at the local municipality also so that proper communication is received from the government.Even certificates must be duly verified before accepting them.

Guest Author: rgd     17 Jul 2014
Sir, I am a resident of Assam. I have changed my name and published it on gazette of India (Delhi publication). Can i use this gazette notification in future as my name changed document.Please reply. I am confused. Thank you

Guest Author: Naveen Kumar     21 Jul 2014
I live in Meerut (U.P.) near Delhi and I want to know where I have to apply(Gazette office) for change my name.-Naveen Kumar (Meerut). Please suggest.

Guest Author: mohd ziauddin ansari     09 Aug 2014
Respected sir,
Please tell me where have to apply for gazette notification in Uttar Pradesh for name change?
I want to add surname in my name. I have got a affidavit and publication in 2 newspaper (English and Hindi). Now I want to get gazette notification in Uttar Pradesh. Please help me for the same as soon as possible.
Thank You

Guest Author: Raj Aryan     22 Aug 2014
Respected sir,
Please tell me where have to apply for gazette notification in south Delih for name change?
I want to add surname in my name. I have got a affidavit and publication in 2 newspaper (English and Hindi). Now I want to get gazette notification in Delhi. Please help me for the same as soon as possible.

Guest Author: Raj Aryan     22 Aug 2014
Respected sir,
Please tell me where have to apply for gazette notification in south Delhi for name change?
I want to add surname in my name. I have got a affidavit and publication in 2 newspaper (English and Hindi). Now I want to get gazette notification in Delhi. Please help me for the same as soon as possible.

Guest Author: Naveen Sharma     15 Sep 2014
Kindly send the required proforma matter to my e-mail id.

Guest Author: Anirudh Singh     09 Oct 2014
As far as I have researched, people from Uttar Pradesh need to publish the change of name in gazette of India. I am stuck at the same point. Now going ahead and will publish my name change in gazette of India.

Author: Bhavani    11 Oct 2014Member Level: Gold   Points : 6
Hi rgd: Since the procedure for name change in India varies from state to state you need to follow the guidelines as per your state procedure. If printing of name change in the state official gazette (Assam) is not allowed you will get notification of your name change published in the gazette of India. In case of such instance you may go ahead with your Delhi publication. You please verify with your local legal expert.
Hi Naveen Kumar & Mohd: You may visit the following web portal for further information:
For Gazette of India publication the following link will provide the details:[10].pdf
Hi Raj Aryan & Naveen Sharma: Please follow the guidelines mentioned in the above link, i.e.,[10].pdf
Hi Anirudh: In case you do not find any printing of name change in your State (Uttar Pradesh) official gazette you may proceed to get the name change published in the Delhi publication (Gazette of India).

Guest Author: Dewans Ghetia     14 Oct 2014
Respected Sir,
I am a student of standard 10th and I want to correct the spelling of my surname. Will gazette help me in any way?


Post Comment:

  • Do not include your name, "with regards" etc in the comment. Write detailed comment, relevant to the topic.
  • No HTML formatting and links to other web sites are allowed.
  • This is a strictly moderated site. Absolutely no spam allowed.
  • Name:   Sign In to fill automatically.
    Email: (Will not be published, but required to validate comment)

    Type the numbers and letters shown on the left.

    Submit Article     Return to Article Index

    Awards & Gifts
    Active Members
    TodayLast 7 Daysmore...

    ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. Copyright © All Rights Reserved.