Active MembersTodayLast 7 Daysmore... |
Resources » Articles/Knowledge Sharing » Sports
Hopes of India in London Olympics 2012
Olympics is very prestigious sports event in present day. London Olympics 2012 going to be held on 27th July, 2012. Indian participants also going to participate in 2012 Olympics. Here we are going to discuss probable participants their sports and chances of medals for Indian team.
Important Schedule for London Olympics
- Opening ceremony for London Olympics will start on 27th July, 2012.
- Archery competition in London Olympics will start from 27th July and last upto 4th August, 2012 for 4 events.
- Atheletics competition will start from 3rd August, 2012 and will be continue till 12th August, 2012 for 47 different events.
- Badminton events will start from 28th July, 2012 till 5th August, 2012 for 5 events.
- Basketball events in London Olympics will start from 28th August, 2012 till 12th August, 2012.
- Beach Volleyball starting from 28th July, 2012 and will be closed on 9th August, 2012 for 2 events.
- Boxing events will start from 28th July, 2012 till 12th August, 2012 for 13 events.
- Cananoe Salalom in London Olympics will start from 29th July, 2012 till 3rd August, 2012 for 3 events.
- Canoe Sprints event will start from 6th August, 2012 till 11th August, 2012 for 12 events.
- Cycling events in London Olympics will start from 27th July, 2012 till 12th August, 2012 for 22 events.
- Diving events in London Olympic starts from 29th July, 2012 till 12th August, 2012 for 8 events.
- Equestrian events in London Olympics start from 28th July, 2012 till 9th August, 2012 for 6 events.
- Football event in London Olympics is starting form 25th July, 2012 for 11th August, 2012 for 2 events.
- Gymnastic events starts from 28th August, 2012 till 12 August, 2012 for 16 events.
- Handball events starts from 28th July, 2012 till 12th August, 2012 for 2 events.
- Hockey events in London Olympics starts from 29th July, 2012 till 11th August, 2012 for 2 events.
- Judo events starts from 28th July, 2012 till 3rd August, 2012 for 14 events.
- Modern Pentathlon events starts from 11th August, 2012 till 12th August, 2012 for 2 events.
- Rowing events starts from 28th July, 2012 till 4th August, 2012 for 14 events.
- Sailing events in London Olympics starts from 29th July, 2012 till 11th August, 2012 for 10 events.
- Shooting events starts from 28th July, 2012 till 6th August, 2012 for 32 events.
- Table Tennis events in London Olympics will start from 28th July, 2012 till 8th August, 2012 for 4 events.
- Taekwondo events starts from 8th August, 2012 till 11th August, 2012 for 8 events.
- Tennis events in London Olympics start from 28th July, 2012 till 5th August, 2012 for 5 events.
- Trampoline events starts from 3rd August, 2012 till 4th August, 2012 for 2 events.
- Triathlon events starts from 4th August, 2012 till 7th August, 2012 for 2 events.
- Volleyball events starts from 28th July, 2012 till 12th August, 2012 for 2 events.
- Water Polo events starts from 29th July, 2012 till 12th August, 2012 for 2 events.
- Weightlifting events starts from 28th July, 2012 till 7th August, 2012 for 14 events.
- Wrestling events starts from 5th August, 2012 till 12th August, 2012 for 18 events.
- On 12th August, 2012 London Olympics will be going to end.
List of Indian Players for London Olympics
1. Archery: Ms. Laishram Bombayla Devi, Ms. Deepika Kumari and Ms. Chekrovolu Swuro are selected for the Women Recurve team events. Mr. Jayanta Talukdar is selected for the Men’s Individual Recurve team events.
2. Atheletics: Mr. Vikas Gowda is selected for Discuss Throw team events. Mr. Gurmeet Singh is selected for 20 KM Walk event. Mr. Om Prakash Singh Karhana is selected for Shot Put events. Ms. Mayookha Johny is selcted for Triple Jump events. Ms. Tintu Luka is selected for 800 M running. Ms. Krishna Poonia is selected for Discus Throw events. Mr. Ram Singh Yadav is selected for Marathon Mr. Baljinder Singh is selected for 20 KM Walk.
3. Boxing: Mr. Manoj Kumar is selected for 64 Kg. Category events. Mr. Devendro Singh is selected for 49 Kg. Category. Mr. Jai Bhagwan is selected for Boxing 60 Kg. category. Mr. Vikas Krishan is selected for 69 Kg Category. Ms. Mary Kom is selected for Women's Boxing 51 Kg section.
4. Badminton: Ms. Saina Nehwal is selected for Women Singles Badminton event. Mr. P. Kashyap is selected for Men’s Singles. Mr. V. Diju & Ms. Jwala Gutta is selected for Mixed Doubles Badminton event. Ms. Jwala Gutta & Ms. Ashwini Ponnappa is selected for women’s Doubles Badminton event.
5. Hockey Men : 16 Members Indian Men Hockey Team will be participating is London Olympics in Hockey event. The players are Bharat Chetri, P. R. Sreejesh, V. R. Raghunath, Ignace Tirkey, Sandeep Singh, Sardar Singh, Gurbaj Singh, Birendra Lakra, Manpreet Singh, S.V. Sunil, Gurwinder Singh Chandi, Shivendra Singh, Danish Mujtaba, Tushar Khandker, Dharamvir Singh and S.K. Uthappa.
6. Judo (Women): Ms. Garima Chaudhary is selected for 63 Kg. Category of Womens Judo event.
7. Rowing: Mr. Swarn Singh Virk is selected for Men’s Single Sculls Individual rowing event.Mr. Manjeet Singh & Mr. Sandeep Kumar is selected for Men’s Lightweight Double Sculls in Rowing.
8. Shooting: Mr. Gagan Narang is selected for 10 M Air Rifle shooting events.Mr. Abhinav Bindra is selected for 10 M Rifle for shooting events. Mr. Joydeep Karmakar is selected for 50 M Rifle Prone shooting events. Mr. Ronjan Sodhi is selected for Double Trap. Mr. Vijay Kumar is selected for 25 M Rapid Fire Pistol shooting events. Mr. Sanjeev Rajput is selected for 50 M Rifle 3 Positions shooting events. Ms. Anuraj Singh is selected for 10 M Air Pistol shooting events. Ms. Rahi Sarnobat is selected for 25 M Pistol shooting events. Ms. Shagun Choudhary is selected for Trap Shooting events. Mr. Manavjit Singh Sandhu is selected for Trap Shooting events. Ms. Heena Sidhu is selected for 10 M Air Pistol shooting events.
9. Swimming:Mr. Virdhawal Khare is selected for 100 M Freestyle events. Mr. Sandeep Sejwal is selected for 100 M Breaststroke events. Mr. Aaron D’ Souza is selected for 200 M Freestyle. Mr. Saurabh Sangvekar is selected for 1500 M Freestyle events in swimming.
10. Table Tennis: Ms. Ankita Das is selected for Women’s Singles Individual Table Tennis event. Mr. Soumyajit Ghosh is selected for Men’s Singles Individual Table Tennis event.
11. Tennis: Mr. Leander Paes & Mr. Vishnu Vardhan is selected for Men’s Doubles Tennis event. Mr. Mahesh Bhupathi & Mr. Rohan Bopanna is selected for Men’s Doubles Tennis event. Sania Mirza & Rushmi Chakravarthi are selected by Women's doubles and Leander Paes & Sania Mirza is selected for Mixed doubles.
12. Weightlifting: Mr. Katulu Ravi Kumar is selected for 69 Kg. Men Weightlifting event. Ms. N. Soniya Chanu is selected for 48 Kg. Women Weightlifting event.
13. Wrestling: Mr. Yogeshwar Dutt is selected for Wrestling 60 Kg. Freestyle event. Mr. Amit Kumar is selected for 55 Kg. Freestyle Men wrestling event.Ms. Geeta Phogat is selected for 55 Kg. Female Freestyle wrestling event. Mr. Sushil Kumar is selected for 66 Kg. Men Freestyle wrestling event. Mr. Narsingh Panchim Yadav is selected for 70 Kg. Men Freestyle wrestling event.
Last Beijing Olympic History
In 2008 Olympics in Beijing in China, India participated with 57 players in 12 sports events. The flagbearer was Rajyavardhan Rathore who was a hero at the 2004 Athens olympic and won silver for India. India won 1 Gold in shooting by Abhinav Bindra and 2 Bronze medals by Sushil Kumar in wrestling and Vijender Kumar in the middleweight boxing. India's Abhinav Bindra really made us proud by winning the only Gold medal for India in whole history of Olympics. Saina Nahiwal come closer to winning a medal but lost in quarter final stage in Badminton. Jitendra Kumar and Akhil Kumar both men in boxing provided some hope but ultimately lost in Quarter finals. Mansher Singh and Manavjit Singh Sandhu also performed well in shooting but didn't won any medals for India. Mahesh Bhupathi and Leander Pael due in Tennis events reach till quarter final but eventually lost there. Sania Mirza got injured in Singles event while in doubles with partner Sunitha Rao didn't able to reach even Quarter finals. The Indian team Ranked 50th Position and according to Medal Tally it was the best performance by any Indian team in the history of the event.
Indian Players to be watch for in London Olympics
1. Saina Nehwal: She is having a 5th ranking in current world badminton players. She has attained the highest ranking as 2nd in the world too. She has won many tournaments like 2009 Indonesia Super Series, 2010 Singapore Super Series, 2010 Indonesia Super Series, 2010 Hong Kong Super Series, Chinese Taipei Open, 2010 India Open Grand Prix Gold, Swiss Open 2011, Swiss Open 2012, 2012 Indonesia Super Series Premier etc. She won the world badminton championship in 2008 then also won gold in commonwealth game in 2010 and a bronze in Asian Championship in 2010. She is the best bid in this London Olympic for India.
2. Deepika Kumari: She has won her first World Cup individual recurve gold medal at Antalya, Turkey and in the year 2012 she became world no.1 in the Women's Recurve Archery.
3. Vijendra Singh: He is the bronze winner of Beijing Olympics and also won the bronze medal in Asian Games in 2006 and Gold winner in 2010 games in Guangzhou. He won silver and bronze in Commonwealth games in 2006 and 2010 respectively. He is also a bronze winner of World Amateur Boxing Championship in 2009 in Milan. India is banking on him to repeat the story in London Olympics.
4. Sania Mirza: She is Indian professional tennis star. She attained the highest ranking of 27 in world tennis as her best and now with 238 ranked in the world. In doubles her best ranking is 7th in the world, while at present his ranking is 12th in doubles. So far in mixed doubles, she won Australian Open in 2009 and won French Open in 2012. She reached in mixed doubles quarter finals in Wimbledon in 2011 and US Open quarterfinal in 2007. She won various medals for country like in Afro Asian games Gold in 2003 in Singles event,Gold in Women's Doubles and also a Gold in Mixed Doubles. She won in Asian Games various medals like Gold in 2006 in Mixed Doubles event, Silver in Singles, Silver in Team events. In the year 2010 Sania Mirza won Silver for Mixed Doubles, Bronze for Singles, Bronze for 2002 in Mixed Doubles. In Commonwealth Games she won Silver in Singles, Bronze in Women's Doubles.
5. Mahesh Bhupathi: He is more of a Double player. Mahesh Bhupathi won 50 Career titles so far. His highest ranking in Double's was 1, and current ranking is 15th in the world. His performance in Grand Slam Doubles is very good as he won
French Open in 1999 and 2001. He won Wimbledon in 1999 and also US Open in the same year.His performance is Grand Slam Mixed Doubles was great as he won Australian Open in 2006 and 2009. French Open in 1997, 2006 and 2012. He also won Wimbledon in 2002 and 2005 and US Open in 1999 and 2005.
6. Leander Paes: He is great Indian Tennis player who perform well in singles as well as Double's event. He won a Bronze medal in 1996 Atlanta Olympics. This was a great achievement as he is the only player at that time to achieve this feat after 44 years. He won several Grand Slam Doubles like Australian Open in 2012, French Open in 1999, 2001 and 2009. He also won Wimbledon in 1999 and US Open in 2006 and 2009. He was at Fourth place in Olympic Games in the year 2004. His records in Mixed Doubles is also impressive as he won Australian Open in 2003 and 2010 also won French Open in 2005 and Wimbledon in 1999, 2003 and 2010. He also won US Open in 2008 in Mixed Doubles.
7. Abhinav Bindra: He is an Indian shooter who bring glory to country by winning the Gold medal in Olympic Games in 2008 in Beijing in the evnet of Men's 10 m air rifle. He also won Gold in Commonwealth Games in Manchester and Silver. Again won Gold in 2006 Melbourne, Bronze and then Gold in 2010 and Silver in various shooting event.
8. P Kashyap: He is a promising Badminton player who achieved good success in a short span of career like he reached semifinals at the Dutch Open and again at semifinal in Senior National Badminton Championships. He was also a runners-up at the Thailand International,Spanish Open and Toulouse Open. He won the 2010 bronze medal for India in Commonwealth Games.
9. Jwala Gutta: She is the only Badminton player in the history of Indian badminton to won National championship 13 times . Her highest ranking was 6 in Mixed Doubles/Women's Doubles, while her current ranking is 21. She also won Bronze medal in Women's Badminton World Championships in 2011 in Women's doubles in London. She also won in Commonwealth Games a Silver medal in 2010 in Mixed Team and further a Gold medal in 2010 in Women's Doubles.
10. Indian Hockey Team: The current hockey team with lots of young talent looks promising. If we look at the result from 2008 onward then they have 3rd place in 2010 for Asian games in China. In Sultan Azlan Shah Cup they were 2nd in 2008 the winner in 2009 and 2010 and a bronze winner in 2012. They were 2nd in Commonwealth games in 2010 and a winner in 2011 Asians Champions trophy.
11. Sushil Kumar: He is a good freestyle wrestler. He won a bronze medal for India in Olympic Games and was a quite achievement. He won Gold in 2010 Moscow in World and in Commonwealth Championship he won medals as a Gold in 2003 London in 60 kg, a Gold in 2005 in Cape Town in 66 kg, a Gold in 2007 in London in 66 kg, again a Gold in 2009 Jalander in 66 kg. He also won in Commonwealth Games a Gold in 2010 in 66 kg events. He also performs well in Asian Championships with a Gold in 2010 in New Delhi in 66 kg events, a Silver in 2007 Kyrgyzstan in 66kg, a Bronze in 2003 in New Delhi in 60 kg and a Bronze in 2008 in Jeju Island in 66 kg events.
12. Mangte Chungneijang Mary Kom: She is a promising woman boxer who achieved a feat of winning a medal in each of six world amateur women boxing championship as she won silver in 2001, gold in 2002, gold in 2005, gold in 2006, gold in 2008 and gold in 2010. She has also won a bronze medal in Asian Games in 2010.
Indian Medal Probability in London Olympic-2012
As an Indian, my heart will never say that anybody will be a looser in these events but according to stats I am expecting a bronze or silver in boxing from Mary Kom. Second prediction will be a Gold or Silver in shooting from Abhinav Bindra or any other participant in shooting. 3rd prediction goes for Saina Nehwal, I am sure she is going to deliver a bronze at least. Fourth prediction is for Mr. Vijendar Singh for a bronze. Tennis team is not that hopeful after all this gaga for Leander and Bhupathi troubles. In totality I am predicting 1 Gold or Silver and 3 Bronze. Lets pray for the best performance from our time and lets hope that my predictions wronged by overcoming the numbers by winning more medals.
Read related articles: London Olympics 2012
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
No responses found. Be the first to respond...