Key and solutions to ICSE Board's 2016 Biology (Science-3) question paper
In this resource solutions for all the questions of ICSE Board's 2016 Biology Paper were given. This will guide the students to learn the technique of writing the answers in a proper and correct way with exact key words. Duration to answer the Board's question paper is two hours. Forty marks were allotted to Section I (Objective type) and Forty marks were allotted to Section II (Descriptive type). Some suggestions were also given along with the answers which help the student to avoid mistakes in writing ans
In this article, solutions were provided to all the questions (both objective type and long answer type questions) of 2016 ICSE Board's Biology Paper. This will be helpful for the students who are appearing for the forth coming Board's exam. Students can get 2016 Board's original Biology question paper in pdf. format from here : 2016 ICSE Board's Question Paper
Section-I (40 Marks)
- Name the following: (Write answers only and there is no need to write the questions. Write only one correct answer and if you write two different answers (one correct and one wrong) you will loose your mark for the question).
- Crossing over
- Population density
- Passive immunity
- Non-biodegradable pollutants
- Choose the correct answer: (Write the correct option for the question in word form)
- B. Turgor pressure exceeds wall pressure
- C. Thylakoids
- D. Renal pelvis
- D. Hyper secretion of Growth hormone
- C. Calcium
- Find the odd one out and provide category for the other terms:-
- Odd term: Styrofoam
Category: Styrofoam is non-biodegradable while the others are biodegradable material.
- Odd term: Pepsin
category: Pepsin is an enzyme while others are nitrogenous bases of DNA
- Odd term: Iris
Category: Iris is a part of eye while others are ear ossicles present in middle ear.
- Odd term: Cortisone
Category: Cortisone is a hormone secreted by Adrenal cortex while the other hormones are secreted by Pituitary gland.
- Odd term: Typhoid
Category: Typhoid is a communicable disease while the others are genetic diseases.
- Filling the blanks with appropriate words:-
- Vasopressin or ADH
- Diabetis insipidus
- Diabetis mellitus
- Exact location of the following structures:-
- Centromere:- At the joining place of two chromatids of a chromosome.
- Chordae tendinae:- The apices of the valves of the heart are attached to the wall of the ventricles by Chordae tendinae.
- Thyroid gland:- It is present below larynx in the neck region.
- Ciliary body:- It is present at the junction of choroid and iris.
- Proximal convoluted tubule:-It is highly coiled tube present just below the Bowman's capsule.
- Diagrammatic questions on eye and its answers:-
- Two possible reasons for this defect:-
- The eyeball becomes lengthened from front to back
- The eye lens become too curved or bulged
- Concave lens to be used to rectify this defect.
- Rectification of this defect by using concave lens:-
Rectification of Myopia defect with Concave lens (Courtesy:-Wikipedia.com)
- Matching pairs of biological terms:-
- Iris ------------------- Colour of eyes
- Addisons disease -----------Hypoglycemia
- Blind spot -------------------Free of rod and cone cells
- Cushing syndrome-----------Hyperglycemia
- Main functions of the following:-
- Lymphocytes of blood cells:- Produce antibodies
- Leydig cells:- Dissolve themselves and produce testosterone hormone
- Guard cells:- Helps in opening and closing of stoma
- Eustachian tube:- Equalizes the air pressure on either side of the ear drum.
- Corpous luteum:- Secrets progesterone hormone to prepare uterus to receive embryo.
Here is ICSE Board's 2015 solved Question Paper
Section-II (40 Marks)
- Diagrammatic question and answer:-
- Root hair
- Soil particles
- The pressure responsible for the movement of water is "Root Pressure".
Root Pressure:- It is the pressure developed in the roots due to the movement of water from the soil into the living cells of the root by cell to cell osmosis into the xylem vessels by which ascent of sap occurs in the stem.
- Diagram of root hair cell kept in excess fertilizer:-
- Distinguish between the following p[airs of terms:-
- Number of chromosomes in human skin cell is 46 and number of chromosomes in ovum is 23.
- Sperm duct:- Carries sperms from testis to urethra.
Fallopian tube:- Carry egg from ovary to uterus.
- Red Cross:- Arrange ambulance service in all emergency situations.
WHO:- Promote and supports projects for research on diseases.
- Pigment in rod cells is rhodopsin and pigment in cone cells is iodopsin.
- LUBB:-Tricuspid and Bicuspid valves get closed at the beginning of ventricular systole.
DUPP:- Semilunar valves present at the base of pulmonary artery and aorta get closed sharply at the time of ventricular diastole.
- Diagrammatic question answers:-
- Pituitary gland
- Thyroid gland
- Adrenal gland
- Thyroxine hormone. This hormone increases basal metabolic rate of the body.
- Islets of LangerhansPituitary gland secret hormones and these hormones controls the secretions of other endocrine glands of our body. Hence this gland is known as master gland. Hypothalamus of fore brain controls the Pituitary gland.
- Adrenal gland secrets the emergency hormone adrenalin.
Diagrammatic question answer:-
- The apparatus is Ganong's Potometer.
- Rate of Transpiration
- The loss of water in the form of water vapor through the aerial parts of the plant is known as 'Transpiration'.
- Limitations in using this apparatus:-
- The twig may not be alive for long duration.
- Inserting a single air bubble into the Potometer is not an easy task.
- The rate of water uptake can be calculated by taking the time of the movement of air bubble over a fixed distance on the scale.
Here is ICSE Board's 2014 solved Biology question paper
- Membranous labyrinth diagram:-
Membranous Labyrinth (Courtesy:-Wikipedia.org)
- Organ of corti
- Sacculus and Utriculus
- Oval window
- Ampulla region of semi-circular canals
- Give Biological/Technical terms:-
- Hepatic portal vein
- Inguinal canal
- Active transport
- Pulmonary veins
- Diagrammatic question answers:-
- The stage of the cell division is "Prophase". The reason for this is nuclear membrane is disappearing.
- The next stage is Metaphase. The diagram for Metaphase is drawn below:-
Metaphase Stage with five chromosomes
- Differences between mitotic cell division of animal cell and plant cell:-
- Aster formation can be seen in animal cell whereas aster formation cannot be seen in plant cell.
- Cytokinesis in animal cell occurs through furrowing method while in plant cell through cell plate formation.
- Mitotic cell division occurs in the growth of a shoot.
- Meiotic cell division occurs in the formation of pollen grains.
- Scientific reasons for the statements:-
- Color blindness is defect caused through a defective recessive gene attached to the sex chromosomes of an individual. The defect to appear in female, the defective recessive gene should be present on both the homozygous sex chromosomes of the female. But if the defective gene is attached to one of the sex chromosome of male, the defect get expressed because male sex chromosomes are in heterozygous condition.
- Injury to medulla leads to death since respiratory and heart beat centers are located on Medulla oblongata. If Medulla oblongata is damaged heart beat and breathing in a person stopped which leads to death.
- When an ovum gets fertilized, the progesterone hormone level increases which prevents development of another follicle and stops menstrual cycle.
- Lack of nucleus and mitochondria in R.B.C. cells will help to accommodate more hemoglobin pigment in its cell for the transport of respiratory gases. Lack of mitochondria help the R.B.C. cells to prevent the self utilization of oxygen for its own needs.
- The walls of the arteries are highly muscular and the lumen present in arteries is very narrow. The walls of the artery expand and contract alternatively as they are highly muscular and elastic in nature. The blood flowing in arteries will carry the force applied by heart while pushing the blood in to arteries. Due to this the blood flowing in arteries is at high pressure and also flow in jerky fashion.
- umbilical cord
- Amniotic fluid
- Part labelled '2' is Placenta.
- Placenta transports oxygen, nutrients like glucose and minerals, hormones and antibodies from mothers blood into foetus by diffusion method.
- Metabolic wastes like Co2, nitrogenous wastes from foetus are carried into mother's blood by diffusion method through placenta.
- Part '3' in the diagram is Amniotic fluid which protects the foetus from sudden shocks and jerks.
- The time duration taken for the intrauterine development of the foetus from the time of conception till the time of delivery is known as gestation period. The normal gestation period in human is 280 days.
- The sex chromosome of a human male is XY and female is XX.
- Answer for experimental question:-
- Oxygen is evolved during photosynthesis in green plants.
- Photosynthesis is process in which the green plants by using chlorophyll, Co2, energy from solar radiation, water and minerals can prepare their own food is known as photosynthesis.
- Gas collected in test tube
- Hydrilla twigs
- Photosynthesis overall balanced chemical equation:-
- If we add a pinch of Sodium bicarbonate, it releases CO2 in the water of beaker and so the rate of photosynthesis increase. More air bubbles from the Hydrilla twigs will be released due to more availability of CO2 to the Hydrilla twigs.
Here is Oxygen is evolved by green plants during Photosynthesis experiment
- Parent Plants:-Pure Tall plant with Red colored Flowers (TTRR) and Pure Dwarf plant with White colored Flowers (ttrr)Dihybrid Cross representation
- All the plants obtained in F1 generation are phenotypically Tall and Red only. Genotypically all the plants obtained in F1 generation are TtRr (Mixed tall and red).
- The possible combination of gametes obtained from F1 hybrids are TR, Tr, tR, tr.Law of Independent Assortment:-When two pairs of contrasting characters are taken into consideration, the distribution of members of one pair into their gametes is independent of other pair.
- The Phenotypes obtained in F2 generation are 9 Tall and Red colored Flower plants, 3 Tall and White colored plants, 3 Dwarf and Red colored Flower plants, 1 Dwarf and White colored plant
- Phenotypic ratio of F2 generation:- 9 : 3 : 3 : 1
Here is Key and solutions to ICSE Board's 2012 Biology question Paper
- Explain the terms:-
- Reflex action:-The sudden automatic, instantaneous, stereotypic, involuntary response to a stimulus mediated by spinal cord is known as reflex action.
- Power accommodation:- Adjustment of the eye to see objects which are nearby and far off by changing the focal length of the lens by using Ciliary body and ciliary muscles is known as Power of accommodation.
- Photo phosphorylation:- Formation of energy rich ATP molecules by using ADP and inorganic phosphate molecules in the light reaction of photosynthesis is known as Photo phosphorylation.
- Hormones:- Hormones are chemical messengers which are produced at one part of our body and will have their influence at other parts of the body or target organs are known as Hormones.
- Synapse:-The point of contact between two neurons across which impulse get transmitted from one neuron to the other is known as synapse.