IntroductionFASTag is brand name of Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) program of Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India. The program is implemented by National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) promoted Indian Highways Management Company Limited (IHMCL). IHMCL had collaborated with ICICI Bank and Axis Bank for clearing & settlement of electronic toll transactions.
What is FASTagA FASTag is affixed on the windscreen of the vehicles which enables one to drive through toll plazas without stopping for cash transactions. It employs Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology which makes toll charges payment possible directly from the prepaid accounts linked to it. FASTag has a validity period of five years which can be recharged as and when required after initial purchase once.
Benefits of using FASTagThe following are some of the main benefits of using FASTag: There is no need to carry cash for payment toll charges.Various options like credit card, debit card, NEFT/ RTGS or net banking are available for recharging FASTag online.The FASTag is valid for of 5 years after initial purchase.SMS alerts are issued on payment of toll charges or when the balance becomes low etc.With a view to promote FASTag, 10% cashback are made available on all toll payments using it.
What are the charges for FASTagCharges applicable on FASTag includes:
One time tag joining fee - Rs. 200 (including service tax).Fee payable on each toll plaza can be seen on www.nhtis.org. In addition it is displayed at concerned toll plazas also. The amounts mentioned in the brackets below are Tag Deposit and Threshold Amount respectively. Service tax is also levied on all the prescribed fees and charges at the applicable rates. The 'Tag Deposit' is refundable at the time of FASTag account closure. The 'Threshold Amount' is the minimum recharge amount to be done at the time of tag activation-
- Car / Jeep / Van - Rs. 200 , Rs. 100
- Light Commercial Vehicle 2-axle / 3-axle - Rs. 300, Rs. 140
- Bus 2-axle / 3-axle / Mini-Bus - Rs. 400 , Rs. 300
- Truck 2-axle - Rs. 400, Rs. 300
- Trucks 3-axle and above - Rs. 500, Rs. 300
- Earth Moving / Heavy Construction Machinery - Rs. 500, Rs. 300
- Tractor / Tractor with Trailer - Rs. 500, Rs. 300
- Tata Ace and Similar Mini Light Commercial Vehicle - Rs. 200, Rs. 100
How to buy FASTagFASTag account can be created by visiting any of the Point of Sale (PoS) locations at Toll Plazas or ICICI Bank/Axis Bank sales offices together with original as well as copies of KYC documents along with the vehicle. Following documents are required to be submitted along with the application form -
- Copy of registration certificate of the vehicle in respect of which FASTag is required.
- Recently taken color photograph (passport size) of the vehicle owner.
- KYC documents e.g. driving license, PAN card, passport, Voter ID card, Aadhar card etc. as per the category of the vehicle owner.
- A valid driving license in good standing is accepted as a valid document for address and ID proof.
Salient features of FASTagThe following are some of the salient features of the FASTag-
- FASTag is presently operational at more than 275 toll plazas across national and state highways. A list of such plazas can be seen in the 'Active Toll Plazas' list available on the concerned banks website as well at other related internet resources.
- Only the lanes demarcated for FASTag will have to be used.
- The monthly pass facility specific to each toll plaza can be made available.
- In case ETC equipment at Toll Plaza is not working and the FASTag account is having sufficient balance, then the vehicle will be allowed to pass.
- The minimum recharge amount is Rs. 100. However FASTag account can be recharged maximum up to Rs. one lakh at a time.
- In case an individual is having two vehicles then two separate FASTags will be required for each vehicle.
- In case the RFID tag is lost, then a new account will have to be opened and the balance amount of the previous account can be transferred to new account.
- An SMS alert will be received at the registered mobile phone number each time a balance is deducted from your FASTag account.
- Incorrect deductions, if any, can be reported to the call center of the issuing bank. The amount can be corrected after review and verification.
- In case the vehicle is lost, the FASTag account can be blocked by calling to the customer care.
- After creation of FASTag, one has to register at customer portal and generate user ID and password. After filling in the required details and prompting, system generated login details are sent through SMS to the registered mobile number.
- FASTag account can be recharged after login into the customer portal.
- The FASTag will be fixed on the vehicle's windshield by the representative of the Issuer Agency only.
- It is strictly prohibited to purchase two FASTag for one vehicle.
Contact DetailsThe website of the National Highways Authority of India (http://www.nhai.org/) may be referred for further details about FASTag. The following useful and relevant information is made available on the said website of NHAI:
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) about FASTagParticipating Banks Contact Numbers - ICICI Bank (Customer care 1860 267 0104) and Axis Bank (Customer care 1800 103 5577)List of FASTag Active Toll PlazasGuideline to Fix the RFID TagStandard Procedure for FASTag Users in ETC laneStandard Procedure for toll operators for ETC lane:Point of Sale Locations (PoS) of ICICI Bank and Axis BankProblems / Feedback related to ETC related contact email - email@example.com
ConclusionFASTag is voluntary at this stage of implementation. However the possibility of its being made mandatory at some locations in future cannot be ruled out entirely. This system is likely to be used for other services also like payment for parking charges at parking lots and various other payments at wayside amenities. In future it is expected that more banks and mobile wallet operators will join the endeavor. The online payments systems are likely to improve transparency in toll transactions and reduce revenue leakages.