IntroductionOn behalf of the University Grants Commission (UGC), the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has announced that the National Eligibility Test (NET) will be conducted on 10.07.16. The test will be conducted in 83 subjects at total 89 selected cities spread all over India. Through NET, eligibility is determined for (i) Assistant Professor only or (ii) both for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and Assistant Professor. The candidates who qualify exclusively for Assistant Professor are not considered for award of JRF. However the candidates who qualify for JRF are eligible to pursue research as well as for Assistant Professor also.
Important DatesLast date of submission of online application form - 12.05.2016Last date of submission of fee - 13.05.2016Correction in particulars of application form on the website - 17.05.2016 to 23.05.2016Date of Examination - 10.07.2016
- At least 55% marks in masters degree ( 50% for SC, ST, OBC, PWD categories).
- Candidates whose result is awaited can also apply.
- The Ph.D. degree holders will be eligible for a relaxation of 5% in marks.
- Candidates are advised to appear in the subject of their post graduation only.
- In case the subject of post graduation is not covered in the list then the candidates can appear in a related subject.
- Any certificate or document is not required to be sent to CBSE in support of eligibility.
- Print out of confirmation page of online application form is also not required to be sent to CBSE.
Age limitJunior Research Fellowship - not more than 28 years as on 01.07.2016.Five years relaxation in age is provided to SC, ST, OBC, PWD and women candidates.Three years relaxation in age is allowed to the candidates possessing L.L.M. Degree.Relaxation limited to the period spent on research is provided to the candidates having research experience.No upper age limit is set for applying for eligibility for Assistant Professor.
- The candidates who have cleared the JRF (conducted by UGC/CSIR) examination prior to 1989 are exempted from appearing in NET.
- Candidates possessing a Ph. D. degree are exempted from NET/SELT/SET for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professor.
- Candidates who have States Eligibility Test (SET) prior to 01.12.2002 are exempted from appearing in NET.
Examination feeGeneral category - Rs. 600.OBC - Rs. 300.SC/ST - Rs. 150.Option to select mode of payment of fee i.e. through debit card/credit card or through e-challan appears after filling online application form.In case of e-challans, payment has to be made at Syndicate/Canara/ICICI/HDFC Bank.Fee paid through any other mode like money order, demand draft, IPO etc. will be rejected.Fee once paid will not be refunded under any circumstances.
Scheme of test
- The test will consist of three papers.
- There will be only objectives type questions in all three papers.
- The test of all the three papers will be conducted on 10.07.2016 (Sunday).
- All the three papers will carry maximum marks 100.
- First session ( Paper I ) - 09.30 AM to 10.45 AM.
- Second session ( Paper II ) - 11.15 AM to 12.30 AM.
- Third session ( Paper III ) - 02.00 AM to 04.30 AM.
- Responses will have to be marked on the Optical Mark Reader (OMR) Sheet provided along with the test booklet.
- Paper I - Consist of total 60 multiple choice questions each of 2 marks out of which 50 has to be attempted. Questions are designed to test reasoning ability, comprehension, divergent thinking and general awareness of the candidates.
- Paper II - Consist of total 50 multiple choice questions each of 2 marks on the subject selected by the candidate. All questions are compulsory.
- Paper III - Consist of total 75 multiple choice questions each of 2 marks from the subject selected by the candidate. All questions are compulsory.
How to applyCandidates must apply online only on the CBSE website - www.cbsenet.nic.in.Passport size photograph in JPG format of 4 KB to 40 KB is required to be uploaded.Specimen signature of the candidate in JPG format of size 4 KB to 30 KB is also required to be uploaded.After filling all the details, examination fee will have be paid after selection of mode of payment.On the day of examination, the candidates are required to bring a photo identity card along with the printout of their online admission card.
- Admission Card will be uploaded on the website www.cbsenet.nic.in in the third week of July, 2016.
- The candidates will be allowed to appear at the examination center mentioned in the Admission Card only.
- At main entry gate of the examination center, frisking of the candidates will be done .
- The candidates are not allowed to wear any type of watch in the examination hall. A wall clock will be provided in the examination hall.
- The candidates are not allowed to carry any type of pen/pencil in the examination hall/room. A ball point pen will be provided to each candidate.
- Calculators, log tables, mobile phones, pagers, electronic devices, bits of paper, books/note books etc. are not allowed inside examination hall.
- A candidate who does not appear in paper-I, will not be permitted to appear in paper II and paper-III.
- There will be no negative marks of incorrect answers.
- The marks of all the candidates will be uploaded on CBSE website soon after declaration of result.
Online application formVisit http://cbsenet.nic.in/cms/public/home.aspxClick on 'Fill Application Form'.Download 'Information Bulletin of National Eligibility Test (NET) JULY - 2016' and read the same thoroughly. Link is provided on this page. The candidates are required to choose a password and security question and enter his/her answer while filling the application form.On submission of the filled in data an application number is generatedThe candidates can login the system by using system generated application number and chosen password.After successful payment, candidate will be able to print the confirmation Page.Take a printout of confirmation page and keep it for future referenceA facility to login for correction of uploaded image has been provided which can be accessed using application number and password.
ConclusionThe process of online submission of National Eligibility Test (NET) is very simple and systematic. However, the candidates are advised to visit the website of the National Eligibility Test (NET) - July 2016 - Central Board of Secondary Education - http://cbsenet.nic.in/cms/public/home.aspx and study the same thoroughly before proceeding ahead for application process.