How to apply for Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination, 2016.
Do you want to apply for the Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination, 2016? What is the last date of submission of application and what is the eligibility criteria for the same? Read this article to find answer to these and such many other questions?
Introduction Notification for the Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination, 2016 has been issued by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) on 27.04.2016. UPSC conducts the Civil Services Examination in two successive stages. The Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination is meant for screening of the candidates for the main examination and the Civil Services (Main) Examination (written and interview) is for the final selection of candidates for the various specified services and posts. The candidates who want to apply for the Indian Forest Service Examination will also have to appear in the the Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination.
Important datesLast date of submission of online applications - 27.05.2016. Date of Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination - 07.08.2016.Applications for the Civil Services (Main) Examination - October/November, 2016 (Tentative).Civil Services (Main) Examination - December, 2016 (Tentative).
Eligibility -1 (Nationality)The candidate for IAS and IPS must be a citizen of India. However for other services the candidate may be a citizen of India or a subject of Nepal or a subject of Bhutan or a Tibetan refugee etc. Full particulars may be verified from the website of the UPSC.
Eligibility - 2 (Age limits)
- Between 21 years to 32 years as on 01.08.2016 i.e. not born before 02.08.1984 or after 01.08.1995.
- Relaxation in age - 5 years (SC/ST), 3 years (OBC), 5 years (domiciled in the state of Jammu and Kashmir during the period from the 01.01.1980 to the 31.12.1989), 3 years (Defense Services Personnel), 10 years (blind, deaf-mute and orthopaedically handicapped persons)
- Age relaxations admissible in other cases like ex-servicemen, ECOs/SSCOs etc. can be referred at the website of the UPSC.
- Date of birth as recorded in Matriculation or Secondary School Leaving Certificate is accepted.
- Documents like horoscopes, affidavits, birth extracts from Municipal Corporation and service records etc. are not accepted
- Date of birth as mentioned in the Matriculation or Secondary School Leaving Certificate only should be entered at the time of filling of online application. No request for its subsequent change is accepted.
- The certificates are not required to be submitted for the Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination.
- The certificate is required to be submitted only at the time of applying for the Civil Services (Main) examination.
- If on verification, any change is found in the date of birth entered in the system and what appearing on the Matriculation or Secondary School Leaving Certificate, disciplinary action can be taken against the candidate.
Eligibility - 3 (Minimum educational qualification)
- A recognized university degree.
- Those candidates who have appeared or appearing in a degree examination can also apply.
- Professional and technical qualifications recognized by the Government as equivalent to a professional and technical degree.
- Others details can be seen at the website of the UPSC
Number of attemptsMaximum six attempt are permitted to every candidate.No restriction on number of attempts in case of SC/ST candidates. Nine attempt are permitted to OBC candidate.Nine attempts are permitted in case of a physically handicapped candidate belonging to the General Category.
FeeFemale, scheduled caste, scheduled tribe, physically handicapped candidates - exempted from payment of fee.General category and OBC candidates - Rs. 100.Fee once paid is neither refundable, nor transferable.Applications without fee will be summarily rejected.Fee through internet banking, debit card, credit card mode can be paid up to 27.05.2016.Fee through 'Pay by Cash' mode can be paid up to 26.05.2016.Net banking facility of only State Bank of India, State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur, Sate Bank of Hyderabad, State Bank of Mysore, State Bank of Patiala and State Bank of Travancore can be used.Fee by 'Pay by Cash' mode can be deposited at the counter of SBI bank branch on the next working day only using printout of the the system generated Pay-in-Slip. Fee paid against one RID (Registration ID) will not be adjusted against any other RID.
How to apply
- Candidates have to apply online only using the website http://www.upsconline.nic.in
- The applicants should submit only a single application.
- Though the online application form is available both in English and Hindi languages, but it can be filled only in English language.
- However in case due to any reason whatsoever, more than one applications have been submitted, then the application with higher RID (Registration ID) should be completed in all respects as only that application will be considered.
- The Online Application Form contains two stages i.e. Part-I and Part-II and both parts should be completed as per given instructions.
- A scanned file of candidates photograph in JPG format of size between 3 KB to 40 KB is required to be uploaded.
- Scanned file of specimen signature of the candidate in JPG format of size between 1 KB to 40 KB is required to be uploaded.
- On successful submission of the application form, a system generated email is sent to the registered email ID.
- The candidates have to carefully decided about the choice of their center for the examination.
- Request for regarding use of scribes by the blind candidates and candidates with locomotor disability and cerebral palsy can be made during online application process.
- Certificate in support of age, educational qualifications, reservation category etc. is not required to be submitted at this stage as the same is verified at the time of the Main examination only.
- The emails IDs given in their online application must be valid, active and in regular use.
- An e-Admission Certificate will be issued to all eligible candidates which will be made available on the website www.upsc.gov.in for downloading, three weeks before the commencement of the examination.
- The candidates must note down their RID number for any future reference. It may be required in connection with their candidature for the Civil Services (Main) Examination also.
- Total number of vacancies likely to be filled is expected to be about 1079. Total 34 vacancies reserved for physically handicapped (PH) candidates are included in the same.
- There will be negative markings for wrong answers.
- Candidates already in employment in any organization are required to inform their employer in writing that they have applied for the Examination as they are required to submit an undertaking to the effect that they have informed their Head of Office/Department in writing.
- In case any communication is received from the employers regarding withholding permission to appear in the Examination in future, then the application will be liable to be rejected.
Conclusion The online application process of Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination, 2016 is very simple and systematic. However all candidates are advised to visit the website http://www.upsconline.nic.in and study the same thoroughly before proceeding ahead. The candidates can approach Facilitation Counter opened by UPSC for guidance of candidates near gate C within its campus in person or on phone numbers - 011-23385271, 011-23381125. 011-23098543 on all working days (10.00 hrs and 17.00 hrs.) for any information or clarification.