IntroductionThe State Bank of India (SBI) vide their advertisement no. CRPD/PO/2016-17/02 published in leading dailies on 04.05.2016 have invited applications from eligible Indian citizens for appointment as Probationary Officers (POs) making it clear that the selected candidates are liable to be posted anywhere in India. State Bank of India is an Indian PSU company with its headquarters in Mumbai, Maharashtra. It is one of big four banks of India along with ICICI Bank, Bank of Baroda and Punjab National Bank. Emolument applicable to Junior Management Grade Scale-I will apply in case of successful candidates. D.A, H.R.A/Lease rental, C.C.A, Medical and other allowances & perquisites as per rules in force from time to time will also be admissible. The total compensation is likely to be in the range of Rs. 7.55 lakhs to Rs. 12.93 lakhs per annum depending upon the place of posting and other factors.
- Registration of the candidates is open only during the period 04.05.2016 to 24.05.2016 through online mode only.
- Call letters for online preliminary examination can be downloaded - 14.06.2016 onward.
- Preliminary examination (online) - 2nd, 3rd, 9th and 10th July, 2016.
- Preliminary examination (online) results - 18.07.2016.
- Call letters for online main examination can be downloaded - 21.07.2016 onward.
- Main examination (online) - 31.07.2016.
- Main examination (online) results - 16.08.2016.
- Call letters for interview can be downloaded - 22.08.2016.
- Group discussion and interview - 01.09.2016.
- Final result - 30.09.2016.
Pre-examination trainingAccording to the guidelines issued by the Government of India, the bank may organize pre-examination training for candidates belonging to SC/ST/Religious Minority Community. Candidates desirous of availing such pre-examination training, may indicate so in their online application form in relevant column. Dates for pre-examination training for SC/ST/religious minority community candidates are as follows -
- Call letters for pre-examination training can be downloaded - 13.06.2016 onward.
- Pre-examination training - 20.06.2016 to 25.06.2016
Eligibility criteria (academic qualifications)Essential academic qualification as on 31.08.2016 should be as follows -
- Graduation in any discipline from a recognized university or equivalent qualification recognized by the Central Government.
- Candidates possessing qualification of Chartered Accountant may also apply.
- The final year/semester candidates can also apply, but such candidates will have to produce proof of having passed the graduation examination on or before 31.08.2016, in case called for interview.
Eligibility criteria (age)The age limit as on 01.04.2016 is not below 21 years and not above 30 years i.e. the candidates must have been born
between 02.04.1986 and 01.04.1995.
Relaxation in upper age limit
- Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe - 5 years.
- Other Backward Classes (non-creamy layer) - 3 years.
- Persons with Disabilities (PWD) - PWD (SC/ST)-15 years, PWD (OBC)- 13 years, PWD (Gen)- 10 years.
- Age relaxation in other categories like ex-servicemen, commissioned officers etc. and candidates domiciled of the state of Jammu & Kashmir, can be referred in the published advertisement.
Number of chancesMaximum number of chances for different categories of candidates to appear in the examination are as follows -
- General - 4
- General (PWD) - 7
- OBC - 7
- OBC(PWD) - 7
- SC/SC(PWD)/ST/ST (PWD) - no restriction
- The number of chances will be counted from the examination held on 18.04.2010.
- Appearing in preliminary examination will not be counted as a chance.
How to apply
- Register online on bank's website - www.sbi.co.in/careers or www.statebankofindia.com/careers.
- After registration, the candidates should open the 'Online Application Form', available under the 'Current Openings'.
- All fields of the application should be filled correctly and carefully.
- In case the candidates are not able to fill all the data, in one go, the filled data can be saved also.
- After filing the full data, the application can be saved.
- A system generated provisional registration number and password is displayed on the screen after submission of the application, which should be noted by the candidates.
- The candidates can edit the data already entered only three times subsequently by opening the system by using the registration number and password.
- After final submission of the application, fee is required to be paid online through the payment gateway integrated with the application using debit card or credit card or internet banking.
- On completion of the fee transaction, an e-receipt and application form is generated by the system, which may be printed for future reference and record
- The candidates should have a valid and active email ID for getting call letter and interview advice etc. through emails.
- A scanned digital image of candidates photograph of size between 20 KB to 50 KB is required to be uploaded.
- A scanned digital image of candidates specimen signature of size between 10 KB to 20 KB also is required to be uploaded.
- The candidates are advised to not to submit more than one application. In case of multiple applications submitted by the candidate due to any reason, then only the last valid (completed) submitted application will be considered.
- Candidates should take a printout of their system generated online application after final submission of the same.
Scheme of examinationThe whole process will comprises three phases - Phase I ( preliminary examination), phase II (main examination) and Phase III (group discussion/interview). The candidates who will qualify and short listed in the preliminary examination will be required to appear in the main examination. The short listed candidates in the main examination will be later called for group discussion/interview.
- Preliminary Examination - consists of objective type online test of 100 marks of 1 hour duration. There will three sections of - English Language (30 questions of 1 mark each), Quantitative Aptitude (35 questions of 1 mark each) and Reasoning Ability (35 questions of 1 mark each).
- Main Examination - consists of objective type test of 200 marks and a descriptive test of 50 marks. Both the tests will be online. Descriptive test will be conducted immediately after completion of objective type test which will have to be answered by the candidates by typing on computer. The Objective type test will be of total 200 marks of 3 hours duration consisting of 4 sections - Reasoning & Computer Aptitude (45 questions, total marks 60, duration 60 minutes), Data Analysis & Interpretation (35 questions, total marks 60, duration 45 minutes), General/Economy/Banking Awareness (40 questions, total marks 40, duration 35 minutes) and English Language (35 questions, total marks 40, duration 40 minutes)
- The descriptive test will be a test of English language (letter writing & essay) of 50 marks of 30 minutes duration.
- There will be negative marking (penalty) @ one fourth of a mark for each wrong answer.
- There will be no penalty for questions left blank.
- In the last phase, group discussion consisting of 20 marks and an interview consisting of 30 marks will be conducted.
- Call letter and 'Acquaint Yourself' booklet has to be downloaded only from the system. No hard copies of these documents will be sent by the bank.
- The candidates are required to bring a photo identity proof such as passport/Aadhar card/PAN Card/driving licence/voter's card/bank passbook etc. in original as well as a self-attested photocopy thereof at the time of examination.
- At various stages during examination process, thumb impression of the candidates may be taken for bio-metric verification.
- 'No Objection Certificate' issued the employers in case of candidates working in Government/Quasi Government/PSU organizations including nationalized banks and financial institutions will have to submitted at the time of interview.
- The candidates eligible for use of scribes services should indicate the same in the online application form.
Help deskThe candidates may contact help desk in case of any type of difficulty in online filling up of form, payment of fee, receipt of call letters etc. The contact details are as follows -
- Telephone number: 022-22820427 (between 11:00 AM to
06:00 PM on working days)
- Through email: email@example.com ('Recruitment of Probationary Officers in State Bank of India -2016' should be mentioned in the 'subject' of all such mails).
ConclusionThe online registration/application procedure for appointment as Probationary Officers (POs) advertised by the State Bank of India is a very systematic process and guidelines for filling online application as well as Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for online registration process has been displayed on the website of the SBI. All the candidates may study the same thoroughly before proceeding ahead with the registration and application submission process.