How to submit application for Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships?
Do you know about Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships? What is the eligibility criteria and what is the last date of submitting application for it? How to submit application for Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships? Read this article to know answer of these and many other such questions.
IntroductionThe United States India Educational Foundation (USIEF) coordinates the Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships in India which is designed for Indian scholars who are registered at an Indian university/institution for Ph.D. programs. The duration of the fellowship is six to nine months.
- Application deadline for 2017-2018 awards - 15.06.2016.
- Short listing of candidates - by mid July, 2016.
- Interviews of short listed candidates - late August 2016.
- Notification to nominees by USIEF - early September, 2016. Nominees appear in a TOEFL.
- Forwarding applications of recommended candidates to the U.S. by USIEF for approval and placement- late September 2016.
- Notification to finalists by USIEF - March/April 2017.
- Pre-departure orientation - May/June 2017.
- Pre-academic training in the US, if required - July/August 2017.
- Program begins - August/September 2017.
Fellowship benefitsEconomy class air travel (round trip) to US host institution from the fellow's city of residence.A monthly stipend.Health insurance i.e. accident and sickness coverage as per US Government guidelines.A modest 'settling in' allowance.A professional allowance.A dependent allowance and international travel cost may also be provided in respect of one accompanying eligible dependent subject to availability of funds with the condition that the dependent has to remain with the fellowship grantee at least 80% of the grant period.
EligibilityThe following is the eligibility criteria for the fellowship. The applicant should -
- The applicant should have received a Ph.D. degree during last four years i.e. between the period 15.07.2012 and 14.07.2016. The Ph.D. degree certificate or the provisional Ph.D. certificate, as the case may be is required to be uploaded in the online application for the fellowship.
- Publications in reputed journals and evidence of superior academic and professional achievement. One recent published paper is required to be uploaded in the online application for the fellowship.
- In case employed, must be eligible for leave. Endorsement of the appropriate administrative authority of the employer is required on the 'FN Postdoc Employer's Endorsement Form'.
General requirementsBesides the specified eligibility requirements, the applications are generally required to fulfill following general requirements also. The applicant -
- Should be a responsible Indian citizen who is willing to and capable of promoting understanding and friendship between the peoples of the United States of America and India.
- Must be residing in India at the time of application.
- Must be proficient in English language.
- Should have a high level of academic/professional achievement.
- Must attend interview at the USIEF office in New Delhi, in case called for the same.
- Must be in good health.
- Must give an undertaking to return to India on completion of the fellowship.
Eligible fieldsThe fellowship is admissible only in eligible fields of study e.g.
- Agricultural Sciences.
- Computer Science (with emphasis on cyber security and digital economy).
- Education Policy and Planning.
- Energy Studies.
- International Law (limited to environmental law, immigration law and labor law).
- International Security and Strategic Studies.
- Materials Science (with emphasis on environmental applications).
- Public Health.
- Study of India (limited to anthropology, history, sociology, and visual and performing arts).
- Study of the United States (limited to anthropology, history, sociology, and visual and performing arts).
- Urban and Regional Planning (with emphasis on smart cities and waste management).
- Women's and Gender Studies.
- The applicants have to register online at https://apply.embark.com/student/fulbright/international/20
- The Applicant's email address will be his user ID.
- The applicants are not required to be completed in one sitting only necessarily. The same can completed in more than one sessions also. The already filled data can be edited/ updated by re-login before final submission.
- However it may be noted that after final submission of application the data can be changed or modified and no document can be uploaded.
- The application should ensure that there is no grammatical or spelling errors in the application.
- On page 4 of application an write up on 'Study/Research Objectives' has to be uploaded which should not be not more than 50 lines of text. A title and references should also be included in the write up.
- 'Personal Statement' has to be uploaded on page 5 of the application.
- Resume/curriculum vitae (without photograph) has to be uploaded on page 6 which should not be more than 3 pages.
- On pages 7, university transcripts should be uploaded beginning from bachelors degree onward only. High school or senior secondary school mark sheets or certificates need not be uploaded.
- On page 8, names of persons to whom letters of references have been requested has to be mentioned. Three letters of references are required to be submitted. One of the referees must be the Ph.D. supervisor of the applicant. The letters of references can be submitted either online on webpage https://apply.embark.com/student/fulbright/international/20/ReqForms.asp or through 'confidential letter of reference form'.
- Personal financial information has to be filled on application page 9.
- A list of three preferred universities has to be provided on page 10 of application including name of the department and the professors with specific reasons for the preference.
- Additional documents including signature form and bio page of the passport etc. are to be uploaded on page 11 of the application.
- A writing sample (which may be a copy of an article or published or presented paper or extracts from M.Phil. thesis) of size not more than 2 MB, is required to be uploaded on page 12.
- On page 13 of the application form, Ph.D. registration certificate, letter of invitation from U.S. institutions (if any) and TOEFL score in case the applicant has appeared in TOEFL in the year 2015 or later is required to be uploaded. However, it is not mandatory to submit TOEFL scores at the time of application.
- The applicant who are employed in any organization have to submit 'FN Masters Employers Endorsement Form' on page 14.
- Completed application is reviewed by online 'application inspector' . This online system is designed to prompt for correction in case there is any missing field/data.
- Only after ensuring its completeness and reviewing the data filled, the application should be submitted.
- After final submission of the application, the applicants are required enter their first and family name exactly as mentioned in their passport and then click on 'Confirm Signature' to electronically sign the application.
Contact detailsUnited States India Educational Foundation,
12 Hailey Road,
New Delhi-110 001
Phone - 011-4209-0909/2332-8944
Contact Person for fellowships program for Indian citizens - Sudarsan Dash, Sr. Program Officer, Indian Program.
USIEF has regional office at Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai and Kolkata also.
ConclusionThe application process for the Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships is very systematic and transparent. The applicant should visit http://www.usief.org.in/Fellowships/Fulbright-Nehru-Doctoral-Research-Fellowships.aspx for knowing full and authentic details. Applications has to be submitted online. Resources like 'FNDR Applicant Instructions', 'FNDR Applicant Annexure', 'FNDR Applicant Checklist' and 'FNDR Employer's Endorsement Form' are made available on the said website and should be thoroughly studied and adhered to.