National Scholarship scheme (2015-16) for Differently Abled Students
National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation (NHFDC), Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Government of India is providing National Scholarships from differently able students for the academic year 2015-16. In this article I gave details about the scheme, eligibility criteria to apply for the scholarship, selection process for the scholarship, how to apply and other details.
National Scholarship scheme is sponsored by National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation (NHFDC), Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Government of India to enable the differently able students to pursue professional or technical courses from recognized institutes and get employed/self-employed.
Details of the Scholarships
This scheme is meant to encourage differently-able students by providing scholarships and other assistance to pursue professional or technical courses and various skill development courses for their empowerment.
Number of ScholarshipsEvery year 2,500 scholarships will be allotted for differently-able students throughout the country. Thirty percent (30%) of the total scholarships are reserved for girl students. If there is non-availability of girl students these scholarships will be transferred to male candidates.
Scope of the scholarshipsThese scholarships are meant only to Indian Nationals. Persons with Disabilities, Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities are considered under this scheme.
Scholarship and other benefits under the scheme
Candidates will be paid a non-refundable fee shall be fully awarded in case of Government/Government-aided institution. In case the student joins private Institutes, the reimbursement would be restricted to similar courses in Government/Government-aided institutions.
For Professional Graduate courses a monthly maintenance allowance of Rs.2,500 will be granted for 10 months of the year and a book and stationary allowance of Rs.6,000 will be granted per year. For Professional Post Graduate courses a monthly maintenance allowance of Rs.3,000 will be granted for 10 months of the year and a book and stationary allowance of Rs.10,000 will be granted per year.
Visual,Hearing and Orthographically handicapped differently-able students will be provided Appliances as per their requirements.
Eligibility criteria to apply for the scholarship Scheme
- This scholarship scheme is meant only for Indian Nationals who are under the category of differently-able students.
- Financial assistance will be given in the form of non-refundable full fee who take their course in Government/Government-aided institutions and reimbursement of fee in private institutes will be restricted to the extent of fee in similar courses in Government/Government-aided institutions. Allowance for monthly maintenance, for stationary, appliances for differently able person also will be granted.
- A student can get a scholarship for one course at a time.
- A student who pursue their education through Correspondent Course are also eligible for this scheme.
- A student who got selected for this scheme should not avail any other stipend or scholarship for this course.
- The annual income of the parent should not exceed a total annual income of 3 lakhs from all sources together. Preference will be given for economically weaker students.
- Continuation of the scholarship in subsequent years will be based on successful completion of the preceding year of the course.
- Students who get admission in to technical/professional courses directly without facing entrance exam also can avail scholarship. But such students must get not less than 50% marks at higher secondary/graduation level. Selection of such students will be done strictly on merit basis.
How to apply for the Scholarship scheme
- An applicant has to go through the details of the Scholarship scheme from the following website:-http://www.nhfdc.nic.in/scholarship.html
- An applicant should submit application form in prescribed format shall be submitted at any time during an academic year to the assigned agency. An advance copy of the application should also be submitted on line from the above link. Each applicant shall be given a registration number on receipt of the application. The screening committee shall examine all these applications quarterly and the scholarship amount will be disbursed.
Enclosures to be furnished along with the Application:-
- Academic record should include attested copies of relevant certificates/mark sheets for the qualifying examination.
- Proof of annual income to be submitted. Proof of income shall include last salary slip of parent/guardian, acknowledgement of income tax/income certificate from revenue official/gazetted officer/public representative e.g. MP, MLA, MLC, Panchayat officials etc.;
- Attested copy of Disability certificate
- Course fee receipt duly paid during the academic session
- Receipt/Invoice of eligible assistive devices duly countersigned by the authorized signatory of the institution
- For continuation of scholarship in a succeeding year, a copy of the mark sheet of the preceding year has to be submitted.
- An advance copy of the application should also be submitted online.
Duly filled in application form along with relevant documents must be sent to the following address:-
National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation,
PHD House, 3rd Floor,
4/2 Siri Institutional Area, August Kranti Marg,
New Delhi-110 016.
Last date for applying for the scholarship:-30th June, 2016.