How to submit application for Fulbright Kalam Climate Fellowship
Are you looking for details about the Fulbright Kalam Climate Fellowship for carrying out research in the field of climate related studies? Information about the the last date of submission of application, fellowship benefits and eligibility requirements are all provided in this article.
IntroductionFulbright Kalam Climate Fellowship is granted to scientific and technical research scholars and professionals from India to carry out activities related to climate research and education. The United States India Educational Foundation (USIEF) administers the Fulbright Kalam Climate Fellowship in India. It is expected that six Fulbright Kalam Climate Fellowships will be offered to the Indian applicants in 2017.
- Doctoral Research - These fellowships are of six to nine months duration and offered to Indian scholars who are registered for a Ph.D. degree at an Indian institution.
- Postdoctoral Research - These fellowships are of eight to twelve months duration and are offered to Indian faculty and researchers who are in the early stages of their research careers in India, to strengthen their research capacities.
- Program announcement - 01.03.2016.
- Application deadline - 15.07.2016.
- Shortlisting of candidates for interview - early or mid August, 2016.
- Interview of short listed candidates in Delhi - early September, 2016.
- Notification to nominees - mid September, 2016.
- Forwarding of applications to US for approval and placement at US institutions in respect of recommended candidates - early October, 2016.
- Placement confirmations - April/May, 2017.
- Pre-departure orientation - May, 2017.
- Program begins - August/September, 2017.
Fellowship benefitsFulbright Kalam Climate Fellowships generally cover following -
In the cases of postdoctoral fellowships and subject to availability of funds, a dependent allowance and international travel may be granted to one eligible dependent provided the dependent is with the grantee in the US for at least 80% of the grant period.
- A monthly stipend.
- Health insurance covering accident and sickness as per US Government guidelines.
- Round trip economy class air travel between India and the US.
- A professional allowance.
- A modest 'settling in allowance'.
AffiliationThe fellowship grantees will be affiliated to one US host institution during the grant period. The applicant may identify and correspond with potential host institutions in advance and try to obtain a letter of invitation mentioning duration of the proposed visit, preferably with dates from the identified host US institution. Names of three US institutions in the order of priority with requisite details has to be mentioned in the application form, irrespective of the fact whether invitation letters are receive or not.
Fields of StudyOnly climate related studies are covered under Fulbright Kalam Climate Fellowships.
Eligibility Requirements (Doctoral Research)The applicant -
- Should be registered for a Ph.D. degree at an Indian institution on or before 01.08.2015.
- Should have done adequate research in the relevant field.
Eligibility Requirements (Postdoctoral Research)The applicant -
- Should have a Ph.D. degree within the past four years i.e within the period 15.07.2012 and 14.07.2016.
- Published research papers in reputed journals.
- Evidence of superior academic and professional achievement.
General prerequisitesIn both the cases i.e. doctoral research and postdoctoral research, the applicants should fulfill following general requirements. The applicants -
- Should be a responsible Indian citizen capable of contributing toward promotion of understanding and friendship between the peoples of India and the US.
- Should be residing in India at the time of application.
- Should have proficiency in the English language.
- Should be in good health.
- Should give an undertaking to return to India on the completion of the fellowship.
- Should be eligible for leave, if employed
Application process (Doctoral Research)
- Applications should be submitted online at https://apply.embark.com/student/fulbright/international/20.
- Application instructions available at http://www.usief.org.in/uploadip/ip2017-18/climate%20Fellowship/Fulbright-Kalam-Climate-Fellowship-Applicant-Instructions-for-Doctoral-Research.pdf should be thoroughly studied and scrupulously followed for filling online application.
- Other resources like 'Applicant Checklist', 'Applicant Annexure' and 'Employer's Endorsement Form (if applicable)' etc. should be referred and followed/used during application process.
Application process (Postdoctoral Research)
- Applications should be submitted online at https://apply.embark.com/student/fulbright/scholars/30/.
- Application instructions available at http://www.usief.org.in/uploadip/ip2017-18/climate%20Fellowship/India-Fulbright-Kalam-Climate-Fellowship-Applicant-Instructions-for-Postdoc.pdf should be thoroughly studied and scrupulously followed for filling online application.
- Other resources like 'Applicant Checklist', 'Applicant Annexure', 'Employer's Endorsement Form (if applicable)' and 'Reference Report Form' etc. should be referred and followed/used during application process.
- The name in the application should be filled exactly as it appears on the passport of the applicant.
- The application should be free of grammatical and spelling errors.
- In case of the employed applicants, the employer should indicate that leave will be granted for the fellowship period and an endorsement from the competent authority of the employer on the 'FN Postdoc Employers Endorsement Form' is required to be obtained.
- Shortlisted candidates have to appear in person for interview at the USIEF office in New Delhi. Interviews over the internet or the telephone are not permitted.
- The applicant who hold green card or applying for US permanent residency are not eligible to apply.
United States India Educational Foundation,
12 Hailey Road,
New Delhi-110 001
Phone - 011-4209-0909/2332-8944
Contact Person for fellowships program for Indian citizens - Sudarsan Dash, Sr. Program Officer, Indian Program.
USIEF has regional office at Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai and Kolkata also.
ConclusionThe application process for the Fulbright Kalam Climate Fellowship is very systematic and transparent. The applicants should visit the http://www.usief.org.in/Fulbright-Kalam-Climate-Fellowship.aspx and study the same thoroughly and carefully for directly eliciting the authentic detailed information displayed on the same prior to proceeding ahead.
Related Articles -
How to submit application for Fulbright Nehru Masters Fellowships?
How to submit application for Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships?
How to submit application for Fulbright Nehru Postdoctoral Research Fellowships?