How to make green gram masala rice
Searching for a healthy unique rice recipe with moong beans? Green Gram rice is a simple one pot recipe which can be prepared in very less time. Working women can prepare this for lunch and save the cooking time. Also Green-Gram is very good for health. So check for the recipe below, try them and enjoy the dish.
Introduction Cooking one pot rice with less time is always preferred by working women to save time. Green Gram rice is one such recipe which is different from pulao and biryani. Also it enhances the taste and no much masala required to prepare this.
I came up with this recipe when I was running out of time for my office and found that too many Green Grams were soaked overnight. This dish was prepared in 25 minutes and tasted yummy! Everyone in my office liked this recipe and now it has become a very common lunch box to my office.
Recipe Time to Cook: 30 Minutes
- Green Grams (soaked in water overnight) – 1 cup
- Basmati Rice – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 medium size (sliced)
- Tomato – 1
- Green Chili – 2 to 3 slit (As per your taste)
- Turmeric – ½ Tsp
- Chili Powder – 1 Tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 Tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ Tsp
- Salt as needed
- Oil – ½ Tsp, Ghee – ½ Tsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ Tsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ Tsp
- Soak basmati rice for 20 minutes, drain and keep aside.
- Heat pressure cooker, add ghee and oil. Once oil is heated, add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add cumin seeds.
- Add Green Chilies and sliced onions.
- When onions turn transparent, add tomatoes and fry for 2-3 minutes till tomatoes are cooked.
- Once tomato is cooked, add turmeric powder, chili powder, garam masala and coriander powder and sauté for a minute.
- Now drain and add Green Grams that were soaked overnight. Mix everything together.
- Add basmati rice, 1 cup water in low flame and cook for 3 whistles.
- Instead of Basmati rice, you can use normal rice also.
- I have not used Ginger Garlic paste. You can even add Ginger Garlic paste to enhance the taste.