List of scholarships for Indian students for studying abroad
Do you know that many foreign countries offer scholarships/fellowships to Indian students for pursuing higher studies under cultural exchange and other programs? Which countries offer such scholarships and where to look for information about the same? Read this article to know answers to these and many such other questions.
IntroductionMany foreign countries offer scholarships/fellowships to Indian students for pursuing higher studies in their respective countries under cultural exchange programs and other programs. Such scholarships are administered by the Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India. These scholarships/fellowships are awarded purely on merit basis to the candidates selected by the selection committee comprising of subject experts. Most of such scholarships are available for pursuing higher studies i.e. masters and doctoral programs. The subject fields are generally chosen by the donor countries depending upon the facilities available in the respective countries and also according to the national needs.
- Advertisements are published on the website of the Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India (http://mhrd.gov.in/higher_education) and in some cases leading newspapers also. Circulars are also sent to States/UTs, Universities etc.
- Application format and amount of scholarship, age limit, educational qualification, experience etc. are mentioned in the advertisements.
- The candidates are required to submit their applications on or before the last date indicated in the advertisement.
- Both employed and unemployed candidates can submit applications. However the employed candidates are required to submit their applications through their employers together with a 'No Objection Certificate issued by them.
- Advance applications can also be submitted by the employed candidates subject to the condition that the 'NOC' issued by the employer should be submitted in due course.
- Online applications can also be submitted in case mentioned so in the advertisement.
- Applications from candidates who are residing abroad, are not considered.
- The applicants should have been residing in India since at least last two years in case they had gone abroad for a period exceeding six month for studies, training or specialization etc. either on a scholarship or on their own.
- The candidates should have adequate knowledge about India and the country considering awarding scholarship.
ScholarshipsThe following is a brief description of external scholarships offered to the Indian students by the foreign countries -
- Commonwealth Scholarship (UK):
- Level of study - for pursuing clinical training in case of medical field/post graduation/Ph.D.,
- Duration- 6 months for clinical training/one year for post graduation /three years for Ph.D.
- Value of scholarship - scholarships cover to and fro tourist class air fare, fee, adequate maintenance and other allowance.
- Notification: On MHRD website -August/September.
- Subjects/field - for pursuing studies in Chinese language & literature, fine arts (painting & sculpture), botany, environmental science, plant breeding & genetics, political science/international relations, MBA, sericulture and agronomy.
- Age - below 40 years.
- Duration - one to four years.
- Scholarships - 25.
- Value of scholarship - scholarship covers expenditure on boarding and lodging, tuition fees, pocket expenses which is paid by Chinese Government and partly paid by Government of India as a supplementary stipend grant. Both ways passage cost is borne by Government of India.
- Notification: On MHRD website - January/February
- Subjects/field - for pursuing studies in biotechnology, Korean language & literature and agriculture.
- Age - below 40 years.
- Duration - three to five years.
- Scholarships - 3 to 5.
- Value of scholarship - scholarship covers both ways passage cost, stay, tuition fees, health insurance etc.
- Notification: On MHRD website - February/March.
- Subjects/field - for pursuing studies in economics, business management, mass communication, environment studies, Judaism, Hebrew language, history of the Jewish people, agriculture, chemistry, biology, biotechnology and middle east studies.
- Age - no upper age limit.
- Duration - eight months.
- Scholarships - 5 to 7.
- Value of scholarship - scholarship covers stay, tuition fees, health insurance etc. However the passage cost has to be borne by candidate himself.
- Notification: On MHRD website - January/February.
- Level of study - Ph.D. (research study).
- Subjects/field - for pursuing studies in information technology, optical fibre communication, quality and reliability engineering (as applied to various systems like electricity & power, railways, heavy industry, heavy electronics), electronics & communication, robotics, laser technology, biotechnology, Japanese language and literature, fisheries, Japanese studies, earthquake engineering, environmental science, architecture, aerospace engineering, material science/engineering, civil engineering and mechanical engineering.
- Age - below 35 years.
- Duration - eighteen months to two years (which may be extended).
- Scholarships - 30 to 35.
- Value of scholarship - scholarship covers return air ticket, study allowance, fee, part payment of medical expenses, accommodation etc.
- Notification: On MHRD website - April/May.
- Level of study - postgraduate.
- Subjects/field - agronomy, environmental science, photonics.
- Age - 35 years or less.
- Duration - ten months.
- Scholarships - 2.
- Value of scholarship - scholarship covers a monthly grant of 840.00 Euro during one academic year (10 months), partial reimbursement of tuition fee, an extensive medical and third party liability insurance. To and fro travelling expenses has to be covered by the candidate or his/her employer/sponsor.
- Notification: On MHRD website - February or March.
- Subjects/field - Level B1 courses in Italian language and culture, Italian language teaching, fashion technology, economics and management, Italian language, information and communication technology, environment, biotechnology, advanced professional training, art and music courses, masters Degree courses, doctorates courses.
- Duration - three to nine months.
- Value of scholarship - scholarship amount of Euro 700 per month is for stay in Italy and the course fee. To and fro travelling expenses has to be covered by the candidate or his/her employer/sponsor.
- Notification: Website - April
- Level of study - postgraduate and Ph.D.
- Subjects/field - agriculture, architecture, biotechnology, environment science, Latin American studies, Spanish literature, history, economics, psychology, geography.
- Age - below 26 years for masters and below 30 years for Ph.D. candidates.
- Duration - one to two years.
- Scholarships - 5.
- Value of scholarship - scholarship covers enrollment and school fees, where applicable, monthly maintenance allowance. Passage cost has to be covered by the candidate unless otherwise specified.
- Notification: On MHRD website - June and July.
- Level of study - research scholarship.
- Subjects/field - agriculture, biotechnology and environmental engineering.
- Age - below 45 years as on 30th April of the intake year.
- Duration - two to eight months.
- Scholarships - 4.
- Value of scholarship - scholarship amount is 200 new Turkish Lira (i.e. approximately Rs.6,666.00). Passage cost has to be borne by the candidate or his/her employer/sponsor.
- Notification: On the Ministry's website only.
- Agatha Harrison Memorial Fellowship (St. Antony's College, Oxford):
- Level of study - advanced research.
- Subjects/field - modern Indian studies in history, economics & political science.
- Age - 30 to 40 yrs as on October of the intake year.
- Duration - one year which can be extended for another one year.
- Value of scholarship - stipend and other charges (29347 Pounds) and both ways economy class air fare borne by the Government of India.
- Notification: leading newspapers in April/May
Contact address Under Secretary (Scholarships),
Ministry of Human Resource Development,
Department of Higher Education,
(ES 4) External Scholarships Division,
2nd Floor, Wing-6, West Block-1,
ConclusionA number of scholarships/fellowships are offered by various foreign Governments to Indian students for pursuing higher studies in their respective countries in different subjects/field under cultural exchange programs and other programs. All such scholarships are administered by the Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India and advertisements are published on its website http://mhrd.gov.in/higher_education. The candidates are requested to visit the said website from time to time and thoroughly study the contents of the advertisements for knowing specific and authentic information prior to proceeding ahead for taking any action. The information given in this article is only illustrative in nature.